Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm super disappointed to see Amplitude going for a historically accurate setting. I'm a huge fan of theirs but might end up skipping this because I'm sick of playing games about history. World building is what they're best at so this feels like Michael Jordan retiring from basketball.

I mean I get that they're mixing it up but... I don't want to play another strategy game about human cultures on Earth.

World building is lame and sci-fi/fantasy is a massive crutch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I hope this project fails and a better game company buys the art assets so it has a chance.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brother Entropy posted:

but on the upside, if fame is initially janky but there are some quick easy fixes it won't take months for it to get patched

Maybe. The risk of trying to avoid a boring endgame is that they might make the endgame come shockingly early.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Cythereal posted:

Maybe. The risk of trying to avoid a boring endgame is that they might make the endgame come shockingly early.

I'm not sure if we are on the same page here. Do you think that hitting a certain fame rating wins the game? Because I'm seeing that you must play out all eras, and then the winner is tallied up.

That brings its own problems though. Going to need a lot of balancing to keep the game fun through all ages in every playthrough. Good news is that this is not Firaxis so the developers will actually try to balance upon customer request.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I don't think that a strength in world building is wasted in a historical game. Frankly I found Civ 5 and Civ 6 to be a little sterile compared to previous games in the series (even though they had much better graphics, Civ IV is ugly but feels like a better built "world.") There's a lot that can be done to make the game fun that have nothing to do with game mechanics and that rest on aesthetics. I miss silly, inconsequential things like the Palace in Civ I and the Throne Room in Civ 2.

Also, while there are plenty of historical strategy games, other than Civ, there really aren't any historical 4x games. Space games seem to dominate the 4x genre. And even with the broader context of strategy games, other than Civ I don't think there's any series out there that spans ancient times to modern times.

Civ 6 is a much, much better game than 2013's SimCity, but I think there's some comparison there. SimCity was the only game in its genre, and when it released a really bad game it gave room for competition to develop. Civ 6 at least functions better than SimCity, but I believe it has far fewer players than Civ 5. Bring on the competition, I say.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

I hope thisd I'd less.svhiy than can't v 6

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

HappyCamperGL posted:

I hope thisd I'd less.svhiy than can't v 6

God dammit where were you when I was asking for thread titles

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

prometheusbound2 posted:

I don't think that a strength in world building is wasted in a historical game. Frankly I found Civ 5 and Civ 6 to be a little sterile compared to previous games in the series (even though they had much better graphics, Civ IV is ugly but feels like a better built "world.")

How so? I don't even think Civ 4 is ugly (it's aged really well imo) but I'm not sure how it's had any better a treatment in world-building than Civ 5.

Civ 5 for instance had introductory quotes for each civilisation at the loading screen, Civ 4 did not - that counts as a bit piece of world-building for me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Panzeh posted:

World building is all that matters and sci-fi/fantasy gives the game tonnes more depth.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Panzeh posted:

This is a pretty strange opinion unless you're limiting it to the specific genre of multiple time-era spanning 4x games and even then it's wrong.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Having seen the last few posts-- well,aside from "I hope thisd I'd less.svhiy than can't v 6"-- it's been interesting seeing the breadth of play styles that 4X games need to appeal to. I feel like there's a sort of triangular spectrum thing with pure role-play at one corner, pure sandboxery at the other, and pure number-crunching puzzle-solving at the third. I tend towards the RP corner, so the world-building lore stuff matters a lot to me, while the optimal number-crunching is a nice addition if it "fits" with the story in my head.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I am massively looking forward to this but I'll be somewhat surprised if they actually manage to solve the late game waiting-to-win phenomenon. From the description I don't see how fame actually does that despite their claims, if you get a runaway lead in fame against the AI in the early game, you're probably going to be in a solid enough position come the late game that your opponents have no reasonable prospect of catching up. It's not like you as the player are going to be the hare and just have a nap on getting fame points because you're sure of your victory.

I sometimes feel like 4x games are fundamentally designed a bit back to front. The developers come up with really cool ideas, and then try to program an AI that can actually play their cool ideas and tend to fail pretty spectacularly. Paradox, Amplitude and Firaxis games all have this problem, a marginally competent human can defeat AI opponents on an even playing field while the only way to present challenge is to give the AI massive cheated bonuses. I feel like the only things which can really fix that problem would be either to accept that the AI opponents should not be playing the same game as you (e.g. Thea, where the AI opponents are more like RPG monsters), or to start with the question of "what can an AIs actually play well?" first and work backwards from there (which might give combat mechanics more like chess or diplomacy). Then again, complaints of how the AI sucks in all these games never seem to stop fans (me included) actually buying them, so maybe it's not important to actually fix.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Don't worry, when Deepmind gets diverse enough experience you'll never be able to win anything ever again.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Human Crouton posted:

I'm not sure if we are on the same page here. Do you think that hitting a certain fame rating wins the game? Because I'm seeing that you must play out all eras, and then the winner is tallied up.

That brings its own problems though. Going to need a lot of balancing to keep the game fun through all ages in every playthrough. Good news is that this is not Firaxis so the developers will actually try to balance upon customer request.

Oh, I got the impression from the article that the game could end in any era if you got your fame high enough.

Just tallying up fame at the end seems like a letdown of a way to end the game, though. Especially if you do boom early. What's the late game for that approach, then? Just being a dick to keep everyone else from rivaling your past glory?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Seems like there is a certain number of stars (21) up for grabs each era. So if you manage to grab tons early you'd try to maybe just keep getting enough each era that no one can challenge your stash - or keep switching your allegiances to make sure no one gets big enough to be a significant star-grabber. It really could lead to way more interesting endgame scenarios than just a race to a finish line.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
^ this, your ally from the past two eras may be challenging you in fame so you turn on them and attack in late game to ensure your victory.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chadzok posted:

Seems like there is a certain number of stars (21) up for grabs each era. So if you manage to grab tons early you'd try to maybe just keep getting enough each era that no one can challenge your stash - or keep switching your allegiances to make sure no one gets big enough to be a significant star-grabber. It really could lead to way more interesting endgame scenarios than just a race to a finish line.

The flip side of that, though, is the possibility that you'd effectively win the game long before the game actually ends. Civ in my experience is rarely a race to the finish line, someone gains a big advantage in the early to mid game and no one can shake it.

What you're talking about is either continuing the snowball, or not so much playing to win anymore as playing to keep anyone else from winning.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
The way I understood it is snowballing and getting stars are mutually exclusive to some degree. If you've racked up a ton of points early on, you're going to have to try hard to compete with people later that instead focused on their tech, economy etc. Whereas in Civ you don't really have a tradeoff.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Panzeh posted:

This is exactly the problem with Amplitude making a historical-inspired game. They've been all about world building above all else which has cultivated a certain fanbase for their games and now they're making a game with none of the core hook that drew that fanbase in. So they're going to lose out on some of their core fanbase like me because it doesn't have the things I buy their games for in it, and it's probably going to disappoint the wider audience because their games always end up a little bit on the shallow side but propped up by fantastic lore and creative, unique settings

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Razakai posted:

The way I understood it is snowballing and getting stars are mutually exclusive to some degree. If you've racked up a ton of points early on, you're going to have to try hard to compete with people later that instead focused on their tech, economy etc. Whereas in Civ you don't really have a tradeoff.
Yeah, I'm imagining Humankind's equivalents to wonders, religion, and culture all confer lots of fame but little to nothing in the way of power. Whereas in civ those things offer tangible advantages to the civ that produces them, even military might in the case of faith.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
We don't know the finer points of how it's going to work yet but if it's the only victory condition then we can probably expect it to be well-balanced.

So hopefully there'll never be a situation where after bagging a load of fame you have to grind the next turn button to see the victory screen. You might always be on your toes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

We don't know the finer points of how it's going to work yet but if it's the only victory condition then we can probably expect it to be well-balanced.

These are the guys who make the Endless X games, so, uh... probably not.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Balance is like the last thing I care about in 4x games so I don't mind

Andrast fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 7, 2019

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm glad we have another bad thread for 4X games to shitpost in.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cythereal posted:

This is a good thing though. If someone wins, the game should end (after asking the player if they want to keep going, ofc).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
They did a panel at PAX with some sneak peaks at their event system https://m.twitch.tv/videos/474947055?t=02h00m00s

Not terribly exciting, mind. Here are some slides

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Very similar to ES2. If it isn't broke, don't fix it!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
New article about the game

https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1183049757536804864?s=19

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
It's a 4X game that is actually a role-playing game disguised as edutainment software but wait! It is actually a choose-your-own-adventure.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I'm still really confused about Humankind. It sounds intriguing at least.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Avirosb posted:

It's a 4X game that is actually a role-playing game disguised as edutainment software but wait! It is actually a choose-your-own-adventure.

*mumbles* but I like city builders

Developer: YES IT'S THAT TOO

For all their bluster about this civ-choosing mechanic, the game is just gonna be a Civilization knockoff and little more. But it's gonna be a good one, a very good one, I reckon.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfsBAPFpMU4

New trailer from the game awards

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
That trailer was poo.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah that sucked. Listening to self-congratulating motherfuckers is not my idea of a good time.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Dec 13, 2019

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Graphics were nice, but yikes the doofy voice over and horrible doodly music left me stone cold. Ugh.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Only thing I got out of that was that cities can become very big I guess. That's a lot of districts built up in the capital city.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Reveilled posted:

I am massively looking forward to this but I'll be somewhat surprised if they actually manage to solve the late game waiting-to-win phenomenon. From the description I don't see how fame actually does that despite their claims, if you get a runaway lead in fame against the AI in the early game, you're probably going to be in a solid enough position come the late game that your opponents have no reasonable prospect of catching up. It's not like you as the player are going to be the hare and just have a nap on getting fame points because you're sure of your victory.

It works if all the ways to gain fame do not improve your game position, or better yet require you to make your position worse. Plenty of games demand you dismantle parts of your combo or intentionally accept penalties to earn victory points, which fame effectively is. But if there is a way to easily gain fame and make your civ stronger at the same time, then it's just continuing the snowball.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I thought that having the narrator be the main character from a late 90s made for TV crime flick was a weird and un-thematic choice, but I’m vaguely interested to see more, so...success?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Now I'm even more skeptical given the free-form nature of the win conditions, given that they haven't had anything at all to say about the AI yet.

I feel like I'm harping on at this point, but it is really key to get it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I didn't like the trailer because we didn't really see anything new.

And the narrator was stupid.