Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

LLSix posted:

Any suggestions for getting good research?

I picked French as my most recent culture, and have finished their unique buildings, but I'm still 1-2 generations behind the current era on tech, and I've mostly been focused on production and science techs. I still haven't discovered saltpeter but I'll have coal soon.

I'm the fame leader with more than twice as much fame as the next closest NPC. All my cities have 4+ territories and I run them in city builder mode until I hit max pop on food and production then switch them to science > food > production > money.

The keys to research are (1) have already had a research culture long ago, and (2) industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'm having some trouble with pollution and pollution management. Mostly I'm really annoyed because of how badly it nukes city production to have even a tiny bit of pollution (one train station and one aerodrome/airport gets you to half production...), but on my I've ignored the pollution infrastructure until finishing researching/building all the pollution mitigation infrastructure.

So if I'm understanding things correctly, I am down to -90% pollution from maker's districts, meaning if I build all the useful pollution infrastructure, I am at 1.2 pollution per maker's district. (12 pollution per from infra * .9 = 1.2 pollution) I'm ignoring the command compound, SAM, and anti-air defense because I just want FIMS and don't really need the combat strength on defense.

So I can calculate out how much that'll cost me per district, but I wish there was an easy way to figure out how many of each district a city has. I don't really want to manually count each district. Even with the color-coding it's annoying to follow the various territories, to say nothing of the civ-specific districts that count as maker's districts for various reasons. Is there an easy summary of the number of districts of each type per city?

Alternatively, can I sell/destroy an infrastructure after I build it? I wouldn't mind just building the coal plant or whatnot as a test, then nuking it if it pollutes too much.

(I'm in the victory lap stage but would like to just make giant numbers.)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The French are a sufficiently late research culture that if you get them you probably already had an industry advantage, and it sounds like you do. Just turn on science mode (Collective Minds) on a couple of your most productive cities and watch the tech tumble in.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Runa posted:

The French are a sufficiently late research culture that if you get them you probably already had an industry advantage, and it sounds like you do. Just turn on science mode (Collective Minds) on a couple of your most productive cities and watch the tech tumble in.

Thank you! This did the trick. I was so far behind in tech that I was researching multiple techs for the first few turns after turning collective mind on in my two most productive cities. I even lingered an extra 5 turns as French just so I could keep using it. I'm not quite caught up on tech, but I can at least see the border of the next era's techs now.

On a related topic, the Chinese culture is really underwhelming. 10% gold would be nice if gold was worth anything, but their unique Congress district is only marginally less awful than the generic market districts. The only good thing about it is that it provides 1 extra population slot for each FIDS, and that's only useful because my oldest cities are pop capped. It's pretty useless for my other cities. The first unique district I've ever been tempted to not build.

I'm going to use their power investor special to build up all the resource deposits my vassal has been ignoring. Very useful for that use case.

Edit: Oh wow. The AI on the other continent is even further behind in tech than I am. I'm playing on Normal, but that's kind of sad.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 2, 2022

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I like the events because it encourages me to try different cultures, but trying ones I normally pass over usually just reenforces their uselessness in the current game balance. The Chinese are nice if I need an extra oil or aluminum for the space project and one of the AIs is behind on tech. The rest is very underwhelming. Same with the ming, by that point I usually feel like I don't need the extra influence because everything has been claimed.

On the other hand the Zhou are actually kinda nice. The early research district does help me from falling too far behind in tech in the early game and the bonus stability let's me build more districts which is nice. Not sure I'd consistently pick them over the Harrapans or Olmecs or Egyptians though.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

How does this game compare to release? Does the AI actually build units past the industrial age yet?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Soylent Pudding posted:

I like the events because it encourages me to try different cultures, but trying ones I normally pass over usually just reenforces their uselessness in the current game balance. The Chinese are nice if I need an extra oil or aluminum for the space project and one of the AIs is behind on tech. The rest is very underwhelming. Same with the ming, by that point I usually feel like I don't need the extra influence because everything has been claimed.

Late game I find I am usually running low on influence trying to merge captured cities (or release/reconnect their territories for my existing cities while liberating the captured cities), so that I can rack up expansionist stars. It's also obviously a fame source by itself, just one where the numbers feel a little too high.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Very frustrated by how warscore works. Had two wars in a row end early because the other side gave up, but then refused to either be my vassal or give me the one city I actually care about even though I was only one turn away from capturing it because I'm not literally sitting on top of it yet. If they aren't willing to give me anything I want then they haven't surrendered :(

Look stupid, the only thing I want from you is your oil fields so I can build my spaceship and leave.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I wish they would put in some kind of mechanic where each party could set their desired outcome for the war. Like, if you want these particular resources you won’t have to give up loving them up until you get it. But your goals are limited by what your population is willing to put up with. It’d be a complex dance to balance but it would have to be better than it is now. You have to strategically lose fights to get what you want because rolling them is actually somehow worse long term.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

LLSix posted:

Very frustrated by how warscore works. Had two wars in a row end early because the other side gave up, but then refused to either be my vassal or give me the one city I actually care about even though I was only one turn away from capturing it because I'm not literally sitting on top of it yet. If they aren't willing to give me anything I want then they haven't surrendered :(

Look stupid, the only thing I want from you is your oil fields so I can build my spaceship and leave.

Never hold cities, only raze them. It makes your warscore better, and most importantly even if you opponent surrender's you can then demand what you really want without having to grab other cities/territories that you aren't interested in. Yea it's dumb, but war score is dumb so :shrug:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

TK-42-1 posted:

I wish they would put in some kind of mechanic where each party could set their desired outcome for the war. Like, if you want these particular resources you won’t have to give up loving them up until you get it. But your goals are limited by what your population is willing to put up with. It’d be a complex dance to balance but it would have to be better than it is now. You have to strategically lose fights to get what you want because rolling them is actually somehow worse long term.

That's essentially how the grievance system works. If you want a specific city, try to spread your religion there so you can get a grievance for "oppressing the faithful".

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The latest update has added a lot of highly-requested features. Infrastructure updates now tell you how much they'll benefit the city, so it's easier to figure out which one you should build. When your opponent tries to surrender, you can refuse to end the war, although this causes a stability penalty to your cities. The AI is smarter now, although it still feels like they have trouble keeping up in the late game.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I'm playing my first game and in the industrial era 2 ai rivals have 8000 fame compared to my 4000. I've never missed a star, what gives?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Post a screenshot of your culture-star situation

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Pushing a war for escalating stability costs makes perfect sense good change

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Baron Porkface posted:

I'm playing my first game and in the industrial era 2 ai rivals have 8000 fame compared to my 4000. I've never missed a star, what gives?

Do you mean you've never missed a single star per era? Huh.

The game doesn't tell you that, but it's often a good idea to postpone era change until you have secured more stars than the game asks of you. It is very possible to rush till the last era and discover you don't have any good sources of fame anymore.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I don't think I've played this since the initial launch after hitting whatever the original late game flaws were, so far after going back to it I've done the "go back in at the same difficulty: get stomped" classic move, but so far the only annoyance I remember is the narrator's voice.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The narrator can and should be turned off in the options.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
My biggest problems in this game are knowing when to build makers districts and when not to, and when a territory should have a city and when it should be an attachment.

Anyone got hard-and-fast rules for those?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gort posted:

My biggest problems in this game are knowing when to build makers districts and when not to, and when a territory should have a city and when it should be an attachment.

With food/industry districts and infrastructure, I try to figure out how much of a percentage improvement it is. A maker's district that gives a 20% boost to the city's production is worth it, if it's a 5% boost I build something else.

If you reach the point that a new city costs less influence than attaching a territory, make a city. Otherwise, I make my cities big until their stability threatens to fall below 30. And keep in mind that if you might go to war, those are bad for stability.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

That's an interesting choice every time and I like the game for it. Obviously you always want some industry and food production, especially in your earlier cities, but later on you have much more freedom thanks to new cities coming with pre-built infrastructure.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Gort posted:

I find it's usually best to stay at or just over your city cap.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

One city over cap usually provides more influence than it costs. Two over is brutal and three over is so crippling you are better off razing than trying to get the next cap expansion. It is very easy to accidentally go over your city cap in a war.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

ilitarist posted:

Do you mean you've never missed a single star per era? Huh.

The game doesn't tell you that, but it's often a good idea to postpone era change until you have secured more stars than the game asks of you. It is very possible to rush till the last era and discover you don't have any good sources of fame anymore.

How is that possible? the game makes me choose a new civ when I get enough stars.

edit-So i have to see the empire button glow at me for most of the game?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 5, 2022

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Baron Porkface posted:

How is that possible? the game makes me choose a new civ when I get enough stars.

It makes you check the civs, and it reminds you every 10 turns, but you can just X out of that until you pick up all the stars you think you can before someone nabs the next era civ you want. You get bonus fame for getting builder stars if you're a builder civ (similar for other civ types too). That's how you rack up the fame points.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This game is big on snowballing though, and it's usually better to ignore early fame and advance as quickly as possible, especially if you're advancing into a civ with a key unique building. The only time I delay picking a new civ is when I want to build more of the current civ's uniques, not to farm fame.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Of course you can get away with anything on a lower difficulty level or if you're extremely cool. But this stuff happened to me, I was in a clear lead and killed most of the opponents, but one of the survivors has accumulated more fame cause they didn't rush. Rushing ages without earning at least your special star is risky unless you go for military victory

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

When I hit 7 stars in an era, I usually have some other stars that I'm a few turns away from getting. Then when I collect those, I might be a few turns away from another one. I don't advance in era until all the remaining stars would be too difficult to get.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

The shameful secret is that you just collect stars until an opponent takes one of the civs you want and then you reload your autosave and take it.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

In standard sped what year does 300 turns correspond to?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 10, 2022

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Looks like the game got a decent-sized balance patch. I haven't played the game in so long that I don't really have a sense of how game-changing the changes are, but one of the cosmetic changes stuck out to me--AI empires will now primarily be referred to by the name of the leader rather than the culture, which will help you feel more connected to who your rivals are throughout the game, rather than trying to remember who's who from era to era. They will also receive titles (queen, president, supreme ruler, etc) based on the evolution of their civics, which is a neat bit of flavor.

Forum post about that: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/blogs/823-empire-names-in-the-ibn-battuta-update

Might check it out again, that was always one of the low-key annoying things about this game to me.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

That is a nice QOL upgrade, it says it in all the dialogues like who bought something from you or forgave a grievance or whatever. Now I just wish I could give my own names to the AI personas I downloaded. It also seems to be more stable, I used to have these looooooong pauses where it just wouldn't respond and task manager showed no activity. I'm only up to turn 120 now but there haven't been as many of those moments so far.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Nice, glad that finally dropped. I'll have to check this out again (and completely relearn how to play lol)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I just like saying ibn battuta

ibn battuta

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Some of the Latin American DLC cultures have really fun emblematic districts. I stick to the tried and true through most of the early game but the Argentinians in the Industrial Era got my attention because their building produces salted beef, each of which gets you -2% on army upkeep. Extremely fun if you have 40+ territories.

I'm having to work hard to keep my fame up in the higher difficulties so I got beat to the Turks in the Contemporary Era. I've been using the double points for Aesthete stars civic and the Cubans are an Aesthete culture but their special building is a pharmaceutical plant so now I'm building pill mills that each give +1 to every worker, trader and researcher, it's incredible. I'm just getting started but you can see the description and the effect here:

They also give +1 food when you reach overpopulation. Not sure exactly what Settled city means, but the pills work on the ones I built myself and the city-states I conquered early game plus the one I just assimilated 10 turns ago. My people are gonna be so jacked on these fuckin pills lmao

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Also the Cubans get +1 combat strength per alliance, +10% influence per alliance and their emblematic unit is a guerilla that has stealth and gives a stability penalty when in a hostile city's territory. I've got seven allies at the moment and just got a foothold on the enemy continent so poo poo's about to get real bad for the guy who isn't my ally. Pill power!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The idea of a roided up black ops run where you destabilize your political enemies is pulling me back in

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

New (bigger) expansion announced, coming this fall.

I still think this game could be turned into something good and unique, and this is a good first area of the game to address imo. Hope it turns out well.

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1567513189809520641

More info from the Steam page:

quote:

Unite HUMANKIND™ with the Together We Rule Expansion Pack!

The HUMANKIND™ Together We Rule Expansion Pack includes:
New feature: Inter-empire Forum: Congress of Humankind
New Currency: Leverage
New Quarter: Embassy (unlocking new interactions with other empires)
New Unit Family: Agent
6 New Cultures with a New Affinity: Diplomatic
6 New Wonders
15 New Narrative Events (including 4 inter-empire events)

Congress of Humankind

Get involved in an inter-empire forum with the Congress of Humankind.
The congress will allow players to vote and decide on global doctrines and arbitrate international conflicts together.
No matter how big or small the Empire, all have their say in the world order, but the weight of their words will depend on the new Leverage currency. Together you will rule the world!

Embassy

This new Quarter will bring your negotiation tactics to a higher level!

Deepen ties and sign agreements beneficial for both your empires. Or use the new currency, Leverage, to force an empire to take specific actions to your benefit.

Agents

Use this new unit family to gather Leverage! They will also allow you to infiltrate, sabotage and disinform other empires.

There are three units in the Agent family:

The Envoy, or diplomat, will move freely on the map without diplomatic restrictions, collect Leverage and influence Independent People.
The Spy, to focus on infiltration.
The Spymaster, for two additional sabotage actions.

6 Diplomatic Affinity Cultures

The new Diplomatic Affinity allows its cultures to have a more active role in the world’s diplomacy. Their Active Ability allows them to demilitarize a territory for 10 turns, while their Passive Ability allows all their units, beyond just agents, to collect Leverage.

This Affinity also introduces a new way to gain Fame, Diplomatic Stars, earned by collecting Leverage during each era.

Era 1 – Sumerians
Era 2 – Han Chinese
Era 3 – Bulgarians
Era 4 – Swiss
Era 5 – Scots
Era 6 – Singaporeans

PLUS 6 NEW WONDERS, 7 INDEPENDENT PEOPLES, 15 NEW NARRATIVE EVENTS (WITH 4 INTER-EMPIRE EVENTS) & NEW IN-GAME THEMED MUSIC TRACKS COMPOSED BY ARNAUD ROY

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Sounds good. Amplitude has a habit of adding new, usually optional, paths to victory with expansions. They've added some kind of espionage system to both Endless Legend and Endless Space 2. In ES2 they've made it necessary to use for *everybody* and it was bad and annoying, while in EL they made it just another path to dominance that is most useful to the new faction added in the expansion. Hope Humankind goes the second path and doesn't make this new mechanic something I'd want out of the game. Sadly too often their expansions made the game worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
There has never been a good Espionage system. But I thought ES2s was "okay". At least the AI could use it.