Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Brother Entropy posted:

fame is definitely selling me on this harder. one of the things that i got tired of in civ is the constant overhang of 'well what victory should i be going for? am i wasting time by doing [x] if i don't go for that victory condition later?' it made games feel more formulaic and less about reacting to the world around you

A modular victory condition does seem like an interesting take for a 4x game, and I've seen the idea floated around for Civ before. So, rather than being the end goal for a scientific victory, getting into space and colonizing another planet would just be a large fame boost at the end.

It might also unlock the possibility of colonies and splintering civs, since losing a large chunk of your territory would normally be cause to restart, but a modular victory would allow for the possibility of recovery. Plus there could be a system of cultural influence where former territories are still under your influence and give you a culture boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU