Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
War sucks in Civ, though. It sucked with doomstacks and it sucked with 1UPT. Combat in the Endless games sucks too, and the thing that usually makes me lose interest in games of EL and ES is having to spend a bunch of irl time in the unit design screen. I know some of this is just me, like I'd rather rearrange population units between planets than move warships around, but I also have several 4x board games that don't make me spend half my time clicking between unit and battle screens.

Someone needs to normalize streamlined combat. Board games already did, so it's obviously possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I trust Amplitude to put out an overall excellent game with a number of ideas that improve on Civ, and the game will be annoyingly granular in some places but we'll get used to it, and the spy expansion is going to be awful but the game will be a complete experience by the time that comes out anyway. The interface will take some getting used to. The change from bronze to iron to steel is going to be expensive and annoying. The point salad approach to victory will allow for tall strategies in theory but not necessarily in practice. The AI is going to suck. Some cultures are going to be way stronger than others, and racing to specific ones is going to be part of the game, for better and worse.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Having played exactly one game of this, so far I like the jumping between cultures. A civ in a given game is a product of its history in the form of accumulated mechanical bonuses, territory, diplo relationships, and resources, and this is piloted by an NPC with a set of tendencies and goals. This is already how I view everybody in Civilization 5 and 6 after a couple thousand hours of play, except I have nothing but hate in my heart for the Civ civs. Humankind NPCs will be interchangeable in a few games but for now I just like the unpredictability.

Man, I really stalled out in the industrial era and I never found a way to leave second place in the contemporary. In hindsight I forgot that I could spend pop to make units and farm agrarian stars until it was too late, but then I would have had to use those units for something, and late game war looks like a pain in the rear end. This is a euro style board game through and through, and I'm definitely in the stage where I'm building basic system familiarity. It feels good!

I still have no idea what to do with influence after a certain point. To gain enough to gain points out of it, you have to have more than I could figure out how to spend.