Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

[*]Another resource called Fame. From what I can tell, this is basically the equivalent of Score in Civilization, but everyone’s making a big deal about it for some reason. Amplitude say you win the game with the most Fame - just like Civ with all the other victories turned off.

ew no, score victory is the worst possible one in every 4x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there is an indie 4x i forgot the name of wherein you just appoint military leaders and they do all the other stuff, i feelclike thats an idea worth exploring more

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

thats not the vitruvian man at all!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

amplitude is terrible at balance so im not expecting anything

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

all these contextless civs do nothing for me

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the word emblematic is losing all meaning for me

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they should have stuck to sci fi games

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its odd to combine the fluyt and the voc when the fluyt was far more used for the moedernegotie (mother of all trades) which traded with eastern europe and in which the voc did not appear. some fluyts were used by the voc, but their nature made them largely bad at the job

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i got in and theres no nda

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Krazyface posted:

Anyway, there are a lot of terms that aren't explained very well, and I don't really understand what happens to a tile's yields when you build a city extension over it.

it should have a little popup right over the tile, and any other neighbouring tiles that might be effected.

everyone here seems to have gone for science, i stubbornly did food and production instead and was cranking out a new building every other turn while still getting enough tech to never run out of stuff to build. almost every extension seems to rely on adjacency bonuses, which im not that big a fan of. requires a lot of planning ahead, especially when you can't see the entire tech tree. art was good, tech quotes were uninspired but overall a few turns is not enough to make a real impression of the game.

i got 1 event, about musicians. gave 2 choices both of which had its own bonus (production vs science/gold) and then later followed it up with another small bonus, although the ui wouldn't actually say what it was. the ui itself i found very busy in general, i've seen better

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

loyalty is not the word i would use for janissary

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

maybe an european union civ instead of any specific european countries? feels fitting for the game

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I had a run at the beta as well. Have to agree with some of the mentioned points. The whole switching between civilizations made it all feel a bit identity-less and the ai was no threat at all. I played on the normal difficulty level and at no point did the ai ever attack me, despite me having 0 army and having very rich cities. The civics also annoyed me, somewhere during the game i got a popup to get a religion civic where the choices were something like atheism and separation of church and state. I picked the non-atheism one cause my religion was doing good and without warning i still lost my religion. Feels like it should give at least some sort of warning on the choice screen for that. Every civic appears to either do absolutely nothing but move sliders, give tiny resource bonuses or have an unmarked game changing effect.

Tech wise, playing zhou, i maxed out the tech way before i could even change era's, which left me waiting for another star to pop so i could move on. I also kept getting constant popups about my city no longer growing/starving despite getting a new pop every few turns. Another thing that really annoyed me is that when you manually move a scout on auto explore it doesn't turn off auto explore. I saw a nice place to settle, send my scout there for 4 turns of travel and when i checked in later he had auto explored in another direction.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

Swedes are a ridiculous choice for a modern era civ. They should have just bit the bullet and made a European Union civ.

I don’t really get why theyre a science civ. is it just the Nobel prize? They may spend a fair amount on it but Sweden would never be the first nation I think of for science

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Det_no posted:

Sweden has more researchers per million inhabitants than the US, Japan, Germany, etc...

http://uis.unesco.org/apps/visualisations/research-and-development-spending/

And they spend just as much of their GDP on it too.

It's like every time a new nation is revealed, people come and get surprised foreigners don't live in mud huts nor do they poo poo on their hands.

Don't be so demeaning, i already mentioned their science spending. your own site already shows a more obvious choice for a science civ, korea.

if you look at what sweden is mostly known for today it's not science, its diplomacy, its social democracy. They have the Visby class corvette, but is that really what you think of first when you think of Sweden? If Russia has a Soviet Union theme, why not keep the cold war theme up by giving sweden the Stridsvagn? Why not a unit that somehow uses their diplomatic skills? Why use the Avicii Arena for a research institute when its an arena? It was sponsored by Ericsson for a while sure, but not build by them nor used for research.

People can think there's odd choices in civ design!