Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
I'm...slightly disappointed? I really loved Amplitude's world building and design with the Endless series. Them going the Civ route and essentially sticking to just human history is kind of bland, considering how many games have gone over the broad strokes in various forms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The least important aspect in a 4x is the "setting" or the "factions," in fact you'll have studio's trying to over-compensate on the setting (civ5 and 6 adding lots of text about new civs with no significant mechanics) in order to try to paper-over shallow game systems. So let's do the opposite, please.
No? The setting and the factions both allow you to play around with game mechanics in ways that sticking to traditional history simply doesn't. And that's what both Endless Space and Endless Legend did really well, by making unique factions whose core conceit ties directly into their gameplay loop.

I mean with these arguments you'd think all of the World War-based shooters or RTSes were top of their game because the WW setting required them to actually have good game/story design when in reality they'll go back to overused and stereotypical gameplay and story. And I don't see Humankind going the Wolfenstein route where poo poo goes completely off the rails.