Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah that sucked. Listening to self-congratulating motherfuckers is not my idea of a good time.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Dec 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
This guy is my favorite youtuber. SB is a good guy.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
This is the worst marketing I have seen since Dragon Age II.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I like the game but it is clearly not very tuned yet. Playing on Empire difficulty I skyrocket past the AI. With double the second place AIs fame and entering new eras way ahead of them. Seems like this game might have the Endless Space problem where the AI just can't compete because of how the player can efficiently stack all the compounding bonuses. When I get back after the weekend I will try humankind and see how that is. My guess is that they still can't compete, but getting to the midgame without being choked in by their starting bonuses will be the problem.

Expansionist stars are much harder to get than other stars because of the logistics involved, and that makes those cultures a bit worse than the alternatives as there is will be a lot more effort involved in getting to 3 stars in an era. They need to reduce the number of new connected territories needed for each star.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Gort posted:

What's your usual strategy?

Hmm. In the neolithic era I spend it looking for science anomalies and killing animals to get food. I don't go out of my way to chase food anomalies because it is more efficient to clear camps or kill animals to grow. Because of this I try to move around in pairs as this is what is needed to kill a mammoth. I set up the first outpost as soon as I can (the first one is only 5 influence) in an area that has some resources. And I aim for getting two or three up before advancing. I do not advance until I get the legacy trait for getting the science star. I pick food, because it makes the population you have to stick on food to grow early game produce a higher surplus faster. After neolithic is over I send two solo scouts out to explore more and send the rest home to defend my territory if early aggression happens from the AI. If that is likely to happen I research and build a few warriors early (but having to do this will slow down the game a lot).

For the first culture I pick Harappans (almost never because the AI loves them), Egyptians or Babylonians. Assyrians is also good because of the +1 movement but expansionist stars are hard to get. The way I expand is I try to outpost a territory. Then connect it to a city. Then outpost next territory and connect it. Because the influence cost for claiming a new outpost increases according to the number of unconnected outposts you already have. No by doing it that way I minimize the amount of influence needed. When the capital has two territories connected to it I claim a new area and evolve that into a city. Before connecting two new areas to it. Duing the first era I aim to have 6 territories, two cities with two areas connected to them each. When meeting AIs I wait a little bit then offer non-aggression to them, bribing them if needed. Usually I can avoid conflict with the AIs in this way unless I want it myself if I run out of room to expand. When it comes to citizen management I stick one guy on science and then focus food first and science or industry second. Depending on if I need to build something fast or need new things to build. For building priority I focus the influence building first then granary and then other stuff that increases the efficiency of food. Then industry efficiency buildings after. Then the emblematic district of the culture I chose. I focus food because that is what creates a surplus that you can use for other things, and if you need an army it is important to be able to grow back the population you spend on it fast.

In midgame I buy all the resources from the AI. I mean all. The bonuses they give stack. So even if you have 4 sage the 5th one you buy will give more bonuses to the empire. That also counts for things like copper. 5 copper bought in trade from the AI will make your forges all better.

Later cultures I try to pick options that give permanent bonuses to the output. Food or industry seems to be strongest.

When I run out of room to expand I build an army and pick one of neighbours as enemy and demand stuff until conflict happens. Then take their stuff. Sometimes an AI has already been agressive and I might have to build an army to defend earlier. It is ok to go one or maybe two cities over the city cap. But 3 is a bit much. For this reason I tend not to assimilate independents as one city with no connected territories is not that good. And the influence cost for merging cities is high.

I think the only real advice worth taking from this is that the effect of luxuries stack. So it is worthwhile to have ALL of them either yourself or bought through trade. The most important thing to spend money on (besides bribing ai for non-aggression pacts in the earlygame).

Hryme fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 20, 2021

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
They haven't fixed that one of the AIs get free influence on the independents in the beta? I don't want to play again until that is fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I played a bit of this lately. Even bought the new dlc which was a big meh. I dunno the game seems soulless to me. Hope they return to the Endless world in their next strategy game