Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

a 4x where every war is decided through a game of advance wars 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'd just like a game where ranged unit spam wasn't so superior to anything else

civ 5 and 6 had that problem and from what i've played of EL it's there too

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The Human Crouton posted:

Another thing I read: It's first come first serve when it comes to picking your culture in each age. No duplicates. So you won't be able to "solve" the best combination and pick it every game unless you are also the fist to advance in each age. That's probably also why they have a neolithic age: won't be able to choose the same starting culture every game unless you settle first.

i'm not sure if i like this, it makes technology even more important so you can get first pick

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

fame is definitely selling me on this harder. one of the things that i got tired of in civ is the constant overhang of 'well what victory should i be going for? am i wasting time by doing [x] if i don't go for that victory condition later?' it made games feel more formulaic and less about reacting to the world around you

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

There's a fun mod for Civ 5 that disables the Science, Culture and Diplomatic victories and then re-enables one - only one - at random in the atomic era.

It forces you to be mindful of each victory, invest into all three, and make sure you can pivot when the time comes.

I enjoy it anyway.

lmao, that sounds pretty great actually

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I'm not sure I like this "Fame makes it possible to win the game in any age!" thing they're talking about. Sounds very game-able, and not in a good way.

but on the upside, if fame is initially janky but there are some quick easy fixes it won't take months for it to get patched

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

just call it Paradox Interactive's Europa Universalis IV Era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

fame being the only metric for victory brings it about as close as you can get to no victory conditions for a traditional 4x game

like, part of what drags thing down for me when it comes to victory conditions is that it all feels very baked in from turn 1 'oh i'm doing a [x] victory this time, i gotta do [x] thing no matter what'. there's no real reactivity or changing of plans (outside of 'oh this civ is getting too close to a victory, better blow them up'). between fame being the main win condition and stuff like era civs being first come first serve, it feels like things'll be more flexible and you won't necessarily have one gameplan to follow from start to finish