Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The least important aspect in a 4x is the "setting" or the "factions," in fact you'll have studio's trying to over-compensate on the setting (civ5 and 6 adding lots of text about new civs with no significant mechanics) in order to try to paper-over shallow game systems. So let's do the opposite, please.

I'm gonna have to disagree on this part, at least to a degree. In principle, I ought to love games like EL or Stellaris, but in practice I always ended up dropping ongoing games mostly on the basis of the presentation (or lack thereof). Most of the fun in a 4x is seeing your empire grow and evolve, but in there you didn't really see that happening outside of some numbers getting bigger and the borders moving about. To be fair, that's as much an issue of the space setting as it is of those games specifically, but it is an issue nonethelss.

Civ VI, for all its other weaknesses, does that part rather well. Your borders not only expand, but they fill up with buildings, wonders, improvements, districts. Little dudes are roaming around, sailboats turn into steamers, camels into trucks, and so on. Your progress and advancement are right there for you to see. And despite the relative sameness of the factions it is kind of extra fun to e.g. play as Maori and colonize the poo poo out of the USA. All of that does make a difference, at least for my casual rear end. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mizaq posted:

What are you talking about? It sounds like you lumped bad experiences with Stellaris in with experiences from EL. Are you confusing Endless Legend (EL) with Endless Space (1 or 2)? Endless Legend (2014) came out before Civ 6 (2016) and EL did the expanding districts different (arguably better, but definitely different). Did you only play as the Cultists in EL (limited to just one city)? EL borders jump with the regions as you colonize them, versus Civ-style (and Endless Space style) constantly expanding borders (from Culture/Influence). Your cities themselves constantly grow larger as you add districts in EL. I get that there's a discussion to be had comparing/contrasting the two different methods of border growth, but your arguments are all over the place and don't make a lot of sense.

There's also a valid argument to be made that the EL/ES system is dense and they don't provide an intuitive interface and/or tutorial in order to teach you how it works. Makes me wonder how the cost/benefit of helping beginners looks according to their own business goals.

I have, in fact, mixed up EL and ES. :downs:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

PartyElite seems to like it, which is a good sign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zXJmjz9wGM

Have to say, this review did make me pretty interested in the game when before I was indifferent to it. I particularly do like the wars having more of a method and motivation to them, which was always something of a weak point to Civ for me.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

In other news, I just moved some units onto my border with my neighbor (unrelated to any invasion plans), and the next turn a map marker showed up that said it was from them, with the eye icon. like they pinged that spot to subtly tell me that they see what i'm doing without opening some tiresome diplomacy window about it. That's pretty neat if that's the intent. If that's not the intent, then I have no idea what the deal with that is.

Yeah, they seem to do that a bit. When I moved into the Iron Age, I had both of my allies pinging an iron ore deposit on my lands, presumably as a shorthand for "go exploit that so I can buy it from you". Which I did, and they did.

Anyway, is there any downside to having lots of outposts? I think I was too timid putting them down in my first game, and now I'm boxed in on all sides with a mere four territories and hundreds of influence piling up that I can't spend on anything.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I do wish the other players were named by their avatar name rather than their current culture, or perhaps a combination of the two. It can be a bit annoying shortly after an era change to read "The English do this and that" and having to look up who the hell the English used to be and whether you should hate them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

fuf posted:

Is there a way of grabbing a neighbour's territory in a peaceful way? Like buying it somehow?

I have my classic 4X dilemma where I've been sharing my continent with a really chill and peaceful ally, but now I want some of his land and I can't bring myself to just suddenly cancel all our treaties and declare war. Partly for role playing reasons and partly because it's mean.

If you can get a lot of cultural or religious influence on the territory in question, you'll occasionally get a grievance called "Oppressing the faithful/our people", which lets you demand they turn over that province. Whether they'll actually do it is another question, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Finally got into my first war (I don't like declaring myself, so it was a matter of waiting for the inevitable betrayal), and goddamn it's so much more fun than Civ. The stacks make it so much more convenient to move your guys around, and the battle system give an organic dynamic to wars rather than the old constant meatgrinders. It also feels much more deliberate, rather than shuttling an endless stream of units towards the front you're encouraged to build up your armies first and make a careful decision of where exactly to send them.