Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Det_no posted:

Just give me the full trailer song, FlybyNo.

FlyByNo along with Ben Prunty are pretty much day 1 purchase bait for me. I am very excited for this, I love that the screenshots so far are quite austere or perhaps constrained relative to Civ VI, which I felt was excessively cartoony in its presentation and felt very inspired by mobile games. Happy to see Firaxis have the fight taken to them and I think Amplitude can really pull this off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I'm more inclined to think that the game is a victim of being announced too early before any mechanical elements were truly nailed down, hence a lack of any information about how the game actually plays. Coupled with an inherent problem with marketing a dense 4x with turn based gameplay. Civ Vi managed it by having a drip feed of reveals for each leader, coupled with all that expensive animation and music. Amplitude are sort of riffing on it, but clearly can't put in the cash that Firaxis can, with the resulting civ.png images that sort of appear without fanfare.

I'm not going to write it off, I think it's probably good that it's delayed a bit as there are so many great 4x games at the moment

Cythereal posted:

I'm starting to get Civilization: Beyond Earth vibes from this. A game no one asked for that the marketing team realizes isn't as creative or unique or innovative as the guy whose passion project it is.

I don't think it's a fair comment to say no-wanted this game, or actually Beyond Earth for that matter (Alpha Centauri is frequently cited as being a game many want a sequel or remake/remaster of and like it or not Beyond Earth was trying to cater to that market). I would personally like a new take on the Civilization format as I think the series has got bloated, stale and could do with something to shake it up a bit (i.e competition). I think Endless Legend had a big impact on Civ Vi anyway, the "unstacked" cities are lifted from Endless Legend, ditto for the governor system. I'm really interested to see what another studio can do with the real-world setting. Old World by Soren Johnson and his team is interesting to mefor similar reasons.

mitochondritom fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 14, 2020

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

4X events are a scourge and need to be eliminated. They are the 4x equivalent of morality systems or exposition through audio diaries.

It's a bit wierd that you keep popping up to tell everyone how disinterested you are in this game everytime something new is posted about it. Sorry it's not what you wanted it to be based on some trailers I guess.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

There's a few YouTube let's players who have been given a sneak peak, one described the combat as being like Endless Legend, but much simpler. Units have a single combat value ala Civ and there are special general units you can use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ZxFMGN8RA

This guy gives a decent summary of it.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Yea, he's quite a chilled out bloke really. No like and subscribe bollocks or drama. Between SB and Marbozir I've enjoyed a lot of strategy games I wouldn't have tried or thought of getting. Plus they are great for insomnia, in the nicest possible way.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

The water expansion for Endless Legend was really good, so hopefully they can come up with something for Humankind.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Based on the screenshot to the left Rock Paper Shotgun are pushing it pretty hard.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Aside from the "leaders" and their anemic personalities, the whole culture shifting mechanic does feel, to me, more reflective of history (albeit gamified). Cultures shifted. The native Britons were subjugated, colonised and in some cases assimilated by the Romans, then came Anglo Saxons, Danes, Vikings and so on, leading to England etc. It's not perfect but I feel like the genre is so heavily defined by Civilization and it makes it hard for other games to pull away from that.

Conceptually the Olmecs becoming Scots isn't more wierd than Teddy Roosevelt, ruler of the American Empire 300 BC.

Civ does do so well with the leaders and personality though. I can't play Civ V as Siam as I hate him so much. If he is my neighbour I immediately start building catapults. Nothing in any other 4x games comes close to how some Civ leaders incite feelings of Conquest, at least in my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

ilitarist posted:

Right now
It's like a very surprisingly complex and clumsy system in an otherwise elegant game.

This feels like Amplitude all over. Can't help but love their games though.