Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Color me very interested. I've always wanted a Civ that was way more based around actually building your goddamn empire instead of watching numbers go up and being pushed into nonstop wars of conquest, and the general aesthetics of Civ 5 and 6 (and the mechanics of 6, boy) were a huge turn off, so being able to actually watch your empire change as it grows is something I've very eagerly wanted for awhile now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The way Fame seems to work also helps stop the Civ problem of the game growing increasingly dumb and unrealistic with regards to culture or religion, like an entire culture is just going to decide "let's just ignore religion and never make any art at all, ever."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The only input I have to give here is that those cities sure look good!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
...Hold up, the Zhou's bonus building is...Confucius?

He very specifically doesn't show up until after the Zhou collapse!

Geez!

Geez!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
As others have said, while the renaissance was a thing, it was a thing in a very specific part of Italy, that wasn't in any way a clean break from the medieval period, and is rooted more in artistic developments then anything else.

Everyone used it for so long because it turns out art works as extremely effective PR, and because the Italian city states did everything they could to popularize it. Later the Victorians (and most other European nations of it's era) were so embarrassed about themselves and what a mess they were that they invented all kinds of supposed horrors that happened in all three parts of the medieval period - calling it the "Dark Ages," another fake term - to make themselves look better in contrast, and the renaissance was an easy way to explain that transition, despite most of the horrors of the medieval period actually being even worse in that time.

So, yeah. Renaissance isn't used in most actual historical contexts anymore, at least not in how it's used in some 4x games.