Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I hope it's more EL than ES2 because boy did I ever bounce hard off that game.

I'm really loving that it looks like you'll be able to build absolutely massive megalopolises, Cultists-style. Cautiously optimistic for this as Amplitude's planetside 4X so far, EL, loving rules.

e; Civ 4 and SMAC are still the greatest in genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Davincie posted:

there is an indie 4x i forgot the name of wherein you just appoint military leaders and they do all the other stuff, i feelclike thats an idea worth exploring more

Stellar Monarch?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Stellar Monarch has manual fleet control though? Does it have an auto mode too?

No idea, it was just the first thing that came to mind, I haven't actually played it for more than about 5 minutes :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Bought this and spent a few days with it. I had decent fun but it's definitely not a game that has much staying power for me, I feel like I've seen absolutely everything there is to see. I was raging when I first built nukes and found that you can't rebase them, and can't stick them in submarines despite that being in the Nuclear Sub's description lol.

Also I finished one game by pumping pollution just to see what happened and it ended with the exact same "You will be remembered for building a wonder/having alliances/etc." stuff a traditional victory does and made me sound like I kicked rear end instead of, you know, dooming the planet.

The switching cultures thing is mechanically great, it lets you do interesting things in deciding whether to spread your bonuses out or concentrate them (In the pollution game I went with an Industrial civ every single era and by endgame my cities were unbelievably productive), and gives flexibility depending on your circumstances. But in terms of narrative/flavor etc. it's a total bust. Flitting between cultures with no commonality or continuation, and the AI doing the same, is weird and does not leave you feeling like you've built a unique civilization by the end. The AI leaders are like, a weird attempt to split the difference as well, giving you characters to know and thus like/hate/etc. but they're all identikit morons so it's a light year short of playing Civ IV and knowing you're in for a bad time because Monty just showed up on your doorstep.

On the upside I appreciate the punchiness of the game, in that I never felt like I was sitting around for ages waiting for something to happen. Late game had some long turn times yes, but when it was my turn I was almost always doing something that advanced the empire. The random events are a nice touch too narratively speaking, until you realize that there's an extremely limited pool of consequences they draw from. But being able to combine stuff from religious tenets, civ choices, and civics did open the possibility for some really OP strats and I always appreciate that.

Not tremendously impressed with the game tbh. Hopefully given the amount of content EL got this will be similarly well treated and become something better but I'm not that hopeful. Most fatally though is that it's a 4X I feel like I've completed and I have no incentive to replay it.