Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah I'm a big fan of both Civ and the Endless series, but believe or not I think Civ, for all its faults, is waaaay better at war than the Endless series ever has been. That is some ambitious plan they have, and I sure hope it works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That's what civ players call forward settling

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

First time opening this thread in months and they're still doing that thinking emoji bs

:thunk:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Trying out the game through Gamepass: I went Harappan -> Celt -> English since I generally like building tall in 4Xs. Food and production started going wild in late Classical -> Medieval Era, and judging from those patch notes, explosive growth in mid-late game seems to be an issue.

On a related note: does building more districts increase the production cost per district? I noticed that when I got to the English, their unique district is one per territory, activates food production in surrounding hexes, is a defensive bastion, and even increases stability instead of deducting it. I could straight up spam them everywhere since most areas tend to have some cluster of plain farmland, and this felt kinda OP.

EDIT: Also goddammit, just give me the totals for stability gain/loss, I don't need an individual breakdown of each component. Let me make my decisions on whether to build whatever stability building there is in order to stay above 90 quickly instead of having to do math, game!!!

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 18, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gort posted:

Yes, but not by a lot.

Thanks for the answer!

On another note, I've got two "meta" questions: do you guys space out your cities? Like maybe a territory between each of them? I recognize you probably want as many cities as possible in order to get more of those powerful infrastructure buildings up (libraries, etc) but it does seem like space eventually becomes a premium and independent cities clog up the space between empires pretty quickly.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Just tried the difficulty above the middle one and the difference between them is astounding in a bad way: they get free units, they get free veterancy (which is the real bullshit part), and the AI just goes super rear end in a top hat mode and will constantly try to fight you (even with scouts). It's real loving annoying to have them spam spearmen, which combined with a veterancy star, fights on par with warriors and just shits on chariots.

Compounded with the whole retreat spam and simultaneous turns, it's created a more frustrating enemy to fight than Civ AI. I'm very disappointed, considering people have been playing up this AI as "better than dumbas Civ AI lolol" when instead it's got its own version of unfun bullshit.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I dunno dude, I had these two as neighbors my last game one difficulty level below and they immediately played nice. This one I had to put them down.

That said, I ended up bunkering down and teching to swordsmen spam to win the war, and this entire time the combat AI could've been putting the squeeze on me by ransacking all my poo poo but it didn't. I'm not very impressed by it so far, especially since it also ends up losing sieges by choosing to sally out instead of bunkering down itself.

I guess I'll put the game on hold and wait until the 28th. Honestly it's not feeling as compelling as Civ 6 to me, even with the district and combat systems being slimmed down from Endless Legend's bloat, which was desperately needed.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I don't think I've ever seen the AI raze unprotected territory and am honestly glad it doesn't, because in harder diffs it already has a stupidly unfair field advantage in terms of raw combat strength and unit count

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Actually I'm surprised administrative centers don't at least have fortifications on their hex. All the fortifications being centered on the main city hub and its districts is cool but why not give attached territories some protection, even if it's only the territorial hub's hex and not attached districts?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Had to restart my PC in the middle of the update and Gamepass hosed the installation, now I have to redownload all 28gb on a connection that maxes out at 1mb during downloads. It's been real, maybe I'll try this out again when it goes on heavy discount on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
This game has been very disappointing to me, I ended up playing multiple Civ 6 games alongside this and finished them all while I fell off every single Humankind game I've started. I don't know why but even when Civ has always been oriented towards getting Bigger Number, I feel like I'm making more impactful decisions in district placement with Civ than in Humankind, where I'm just repeatedly spamming production and food quarters endlessly since I never get a feel for when I have "enough" food and production.

I'd rather play the Endless games again, at least they have that strong narrative and aesthetic carrying them.