Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really like the sort of unified win condition in the Fame stars, all focused around being a civilization that people remember forever. That's so much more compelling to me than Civilization's distinct win conditions. What really sold me on it was the example in the article about grabbing a bunch of Fame stars in the mid-game and letting your empire dwindle in the endgame, knowing that your accomplishments will be remembered--and having that be a totally valid strategy to win a game. That's an evocative idea if they can pull it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think Fame sort of works as a varied win condition because you can gain it through different ways that (from what I can tell) might be similar to the things you do to win games of Civ. The difference is that it's not all down to who hits their endgame goal first and also you're not necessarily locked into just one method of gaining Fame. I like that a lot.

singateco posted:

I don't know why, but Endless series never grabbed me in the same way Civ does. Hope this one turns out great.

For me, I think it's just that I find 4x games more immediately interesting if they're themed after human history. Even though there's nothing even remotely realistic about Civ, there's an added layer of fun for me when things have themes based on real-world cultures and world wonders and stuff like that. Not too sure why, but that's why I haven't really been grabbed by Endless Legend, I think.

Though reading about Humanity definitely has me wanting to give Endless Legend another try, so maybe I'll reinstall it and take another run at it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really I'm still pretty on board with this game. A different twist on the kind of thing Civ does with really pretty graphics and hopefully a less annoying combat system sounds perfectly good to me. I like the apparent flexibility of having just one victory condition that you can chase by doing different things in each era, too.

I'm not that well-versed in 4x games, though, really only having played Civ. I keep meaning to try Endless Legend one of these days.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

victrix posted:

You really need to play them if what you like in Civ is the building part. Really really.

Anno 1800 is the latest one, on uplay and EGS, Anno 2505 is the most recent future one, that's on steam, and there's an updated version of 1404, the fan favorite older one, also on steam.

I'd recommend 1800 heartily, it's amazing (you can even play it coop with a friend or friends and manage the same empire together).

We have an 1800 thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879146

Somehow I never really thought about playing any of these but my favorite part of Civ is also the part where I build a big, cool civilization so this sounds fantastic