Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I still haven’t seen anything that tells me why Fame isn’t just the Score victory in Civ? I assume it’s how it’ll be earned/tuned or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

Gort posted:

Score victory is set criteria, Fame is different criteria each era.

Like in Civ you'll always get score from having a lot of population, no matter how much population you have. In Humankind you'll only get fame points from population if it's one of the goals for that era, and even then you only get points for hitting the goal, not points for every population unit.

A score victory incentivises you to pick a strategy at the start of the game and stick to it (EG: Turtle and tech up) while a fame victory means you need more capabilities in your empire - if you don't do any fighting, you're not getting any fame for winning battles, for example.

Though presumably just wiping out every other player wins you the game in any case.

Yeah I guess it’s more like if there was an Era Score victory in Civ VI. I still don’t know why it’s compelling, though. I keep hoping these games will do away with the concept of victories at all.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Gort posted:

How would you have no victory conditions in a game where you can just conquer all the other players? Or are we limiting military conquest somehow

I’m the furthest thing in the world from a game designer so I don’t really know the best ways to do it. I’ve just come to like not worrying about that stuff when playing EU4 or something. It’s much easier to focus on something specific I want to do and consider that my victory, then try something else.

I realize that doesn’t as well in a traditional 4x game, I just hope someone is working on changing it more fundamentally.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Brother Entropy posted:

fame being the only metric for victory brings it about as close as you can get to no victory conditions for a traditional 4x game

like, part of what drags thing down for me when it comes to victory conditions is that it all feels very baked in from turn 1 'oh i'm doing a [x] victory this time, i gotta do [x] thing no matter what'. there's no real reactivity or changing of plans (outside of 'oh this civ is getting too close to a victory, better blow them up'). between fame being the main win condition and stuff like era civs being first come first serve, it feels like things'll be more flexible and you won't necessarily have one gameplan to follow from start to finish

Yeah I guess I’ll just have to get some hands on time and see how it plays out. Hopefully it works something like that.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Another preview, this time about audio.

Also they posted the title music track for the game. I like it, as I generally have with Amplitude’s games. Actually all the big name strategy publishers routinely put out my favorite video game OSTs.

Anno
May 10, 2017

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1271871255038263299

Also, to probably no ones surprise, a delay until 2021.

Anno
May 10, 2017

April 2021 release.

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1318945342067478530

Anno
May 10, 2017

This four hour countdown just popped up.

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1337084714180612097

Anno
May 10, 2017

Idk but this one has nice music when I was looking for something relaxing so I’m going to enjoy it anyway

Anno
May 10, 2017

Looks like it’ll be some sort of TGA thing. Which starts in...2.5 hours I think?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah I feel like they could just call it Dungeon of the Endless 2 or something. But hey, DotE was weird and cool, so I'm at least interested in seeing what this is. I wonder how many games are currently in feverish development trying to copy the Hades formula, and if this ends up being one of them.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Wup, looks like there was something for Humankind afterall.

- April 22nd is the release date

- Anyone who has preordered on Steam will get access to a new OpenDev from December 15th-28th. Sounds like the biggest one so far, spanning 4 eras and 40 cultures.

- Also a silly, but kind of cute, new trailer. Though I still don't really get what they're going for marketing wise so far.

Anno fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 11, 2020

Anno
May 10, 2017

There are a new batch of screenshots on the Steam page as well.

Not that it was really ever in doubt, but this seems to confirm USA and PRC and contemporary cultures.

Some other contemporary culture with a fancy globe building EQ?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Googling around, the closest I can get is the Ericsson Globe Arena in Sweden, and Sweden would be a pretty good contemporary pick.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I think the new OpenDev scenario is live? They put up a Getting Started video on YouTube and some people are discord are talking about it, but I don’t see any news from Amplitude themselves.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Looks like instead of preordering you can also link a Twitch account to you G2G account and watch 3 hours of various affiliated streams.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah I'm very much enjoying this. It's a solid combination of number crunching and fun empire building. I hope Amplitude take their time and release this in a good state with some decent mod tools, because I think they could have a good little hit on their hands that could be expanded on for awhile to come.

Also it's just like really beautiful with great music. It also runs very well for me.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah my takeaway after like 1.5 games is that the systems are good, the numbers are bad. Lotta balance and pace changes needed, because right now you just break the systems so quickly as you snowball every interesting choice into irrelevance.

Anno
May 10, 2017

It’s kind of hard to evaluate how I feel about stuff like culture switching when the numbers are so wildly off. If I was scraping by and a new era let me change to someone with a strong new quarter or ability that let me shore up the part of my economy that was doing poorly it’d probably be a lot more satisfying.

I agree though that people (not in this thread) are wildly underestimating how important prominent leaders are to Civ’s popularity. Though if they can get balance pulled together I still think this will be a very successful game.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Gort posted:

How's the game shaping up, for those that are playing it?

Unless there's some VIP-only testing going on under NDA I don't know that anyone not at Amplitude has played it since...December? On that map you could see some fun and interesting systems, but imo they were all pretty hard to actually enjoy because everything that had a number attached to it was crazy imbalanced all over the place. And not in fun ways.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Not surprising with how little we’ve heard recently. At this point though I’m not even mad when games are delayed, hopefully it’s enough to give them sufficient time.

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1375087475815813123

Anno
May 10, 2017

They put up a forum post about what they’re doing with the extra time. The answer is “a lot”, and most of it is balance/small changes stuff. I think the underlying game systems worked just fine back in December but everything that had a number attached to it was kinda hosed.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah, like it was pretty apparent that Cyberpunk was hosed despite all the delays even before it launched. Bloodlines 2 as well, though Paradox at least seems to know that and might not ignite their entire reputation like CDPR did. I don’t get the same vibes from this.

Anno
May 10, 2017

They did confirm at least one more OpenDev before the game launches.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Culture reveals are back baby. :911:

An F-35 for the unique unit and defense agency for unique district has to be some on the nose commentary.

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1382000713757290497

Anno fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 13, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1385217409003495428

Anno
May 10, 2017

Looks like all the contemporary Civs have been data mined from this too.

USA
Australia
Brazil
China
Egypt
India
Japan
Sweden
Turkey
USSR

Anno
May 10, 2017

This OpenDev seems significantly better than Lucy, imo. The pace of the game is so much better and you can actually interact with other elements of the game. I'm still quite glad they delayed it and have another 4 months to tighten things up but I'm a lot more confident than before that this will be fun to play in August.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I dig the cyberpunk art

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1389610893638520835

Anno
May 10, 2017

I kind of just assume that USA and China are the two contemporary countries that can reasonably be close to anything so they’re being dumped into buckets that their other choices might struggle to fill. Looking at the remaining six I’m not sure who would be better for Merchant other than maybe Japan, but merchant China and Aesthete Japan makes more sense imo

Anno
May 10, 2017

Small new trailer and another beta confirmed. More news tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1403785458585423874

Anno
May 10, 2017

Looks like the closed beta is live right now for the next 8 days. 200 turns max through the industrial era.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I thought it was firmly in “good for a 4X” territory during the various testing phases. More so macro than micro, but not incompetent at either.

Anno
May 10, 2017

The numbers have been bad for multiple reasons every test so I don’t really expect them to get them right any time soon. The game is still fun to play as a very pretty/relaxing empire building sandbox though. It’s just not the best strategy game.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Civ 6’s AI has been bad from day 1. It’s probably better now than then but not, like, significantly. 5 is also kinda bad but not to quite the same degree and it has mods like Vox Populi that actually make the AI quite a bit better.

I’ve done the same as victrix - stop treating these as competitive strategy games, just enjoy building a cool looking empire. It works way better within the scope of how the games actually work.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I don’t think it’ll happen any time soon because there’s no real incentive to do it. Civ V was played more than IV and VI more than V despite worse AIs - the majority of people just don’t care that much.

Anno
May 10, 2017

AI programmer on PC strategy games has to be the most thankless job in game development. Most of the loudest people in the room (myself included) talk about it endlessly, but you can’t just make the AI good at the game, they have to be good at the game while still allowing the player to have fun and feel like they’re interacting with something of an organic opponent. And in doing so you just open up different kinds of exploits, so even when the AI is “good” when playing them straight up, you can break them in ways that look silly, and not doing so makes the AI a “cheater” instead for using information a player in the same situation wouldn’t have. It sounds impossible.

Anno
May 10, 2017

alcaras posted:

Are there well-written early reviews yet or is this still embargoed? (If it's embargoed... that's not a great sign)

Embargo seems to drop on the 16th. Anything pre-release is plenty fine imo

Anno
May 10, 2017

There is an AI toggle for Humankind that’ll prevent them from declaring wars, but if you declare on them they will still fight at the same level as they normally would for that difficulty. I think that’s a cool option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

Here’s a new video talking about some late game systems. Idk how much of this is totally new.

Also I really hope there’s that much unbuilt space between cities in late game maps. I know some people dislike that in Civ but I always kind of hated that basically every tile had to have something built on it by the end of the game.

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1426185564399800321