Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

How’s the AI feeling so far? The tactical AI in civ apparently never quite got to the point where it was challenging to play against and I’ve heard mixed things about the Endless AI as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Anyone know if industrial/later units still differ cosmetically by culture? It kinda bugged me how civ 4 and the like would usually just give up on cultural cosmetics once you hit musketmen

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Didn’t civ 4 have pretty competent AI but mostly bc combat was extremely simple?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

FrickenMoron posted:

Why did they decide to ditch their original setting to make yet another generic civ clone?

Tbh I’m surprised it’s taken so long to get a civ clone. Master of Orion and master of magic get so many clones so frequently they’re practically their own genres but for whatever reason no ones tried to do civ until now (or at least there’s like 5 year gaps between civ clone attempts)

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Lmao at that one civ icon just being a gun

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

How does the AI age up so fast on empire and above? I’ve never even gotten to try Mycenaeans yet bc they’re always aging up like 10 turns ahead of me. I still end up snowballing them by the medieval age though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Dayton Sports Bar posted:

I’m not sure if Civ 4’s art could even be called simple; in many ways it was more detailed than 5’s. One of my favorite things to do when loading up a big mod was go through the civilopedia and admire the ridiculous amount of 3D building and unit models - many of them unique to each civ.

I think early on civ v’s art tools were so hosed up that the only way to add new units was to port over civ 4 ones, which turned out perfectly fine since with how much smaller civ v units are, 4 ones looked perfectly fine in the V engine. That’s why the civ v version of the mod that gave every civ cosmetically unique units is mostly a port of the civ 4 one assets wise.

I think civ 6’s tools were similarly hosed up at launch but never got fixed with is why there’s so little custom art in mods.

They never released the dll source code which is necessary for mods implementing new mechanics and the like either, Firaxis has gotten real sloppy without any real competition