Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm now imagining SMAC in the Endless engine. :swoon:

In the G2G survey that's what I put, make the first expac SMAC.

edit: Is it too late for you to change the thread tag to "I want to believe"? I feel like you missed an opportunity there.

edit2: smac tax

Mizaq fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

Perestroika posted:

I'm gonna have to disagree on this part, at least to a degree. In principle, I ought to love games like EL or Stellaris, but in practice I always ended up dropping ongoing games mostly on the basis of the presentation (or lack thereof). Most of the fun in a 4x is seeing your empire grow and evolve, but in there you didn't really see that happening outside of some numbers getting bigger and the borders moving about. To be fair, that's as much an issue of the space setting as it is of those games specifically, but it is an issue nonethelss.

Civ VI, for all its other weaknesses, does that part rather well. Your borders not only expand, but they fill up with buildings, wonders, improvements, districts. Little dudes are roaming around, sailboats turn into steamers, camels into trucks, and so on. Your progress and advancement are right there for you to see. And despite the relative sameness of the factions it is kind of extra fun to e.g. play as Maori and colonize the poo poo out of the USA. All of that does make a difference, at least for my casual rear end. :v:

What are you talking about? It sounds like you lumped bad experiences with Stellaris in with experiences from EL. Are you confusing Endless Legend (EL) with Endless Space (1 or 2)? Endless Legend (2014) came out before Civ 6 (2016) and EL did the expanding districts different (arguably better, but definitely different). Did you only play as the Cultists in EL (limited to just one city)? EL borders jump with the regions as you colonize them, versus Civ-style (and Endless Space style) constantly expanding borders (from Culture/Influence). Your cities themselves constantly grow larger as you add districts in EL. I get that there's a discussion to be had comparing/contrasting the two different methods of border growth, but your arguments are all over the place and don't make a lot of sense.

There's also a valid argument to be made that the EL/ES system is dense and they don't provide an intuitive interface and/or tutorial in order to teach you how it works. Makes me wonder how the cost/benefit of helping beginners looks according to their own business goals.

Mizaq fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 25, 2019

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
I had a difficult time getting a handle on Endless Space 2, and still only slightly get the migration aspect, mostly because of playing as the Horatio and deliberately trying to grow a specific population type. There’s probably some management of it that I could be doing better but the game gives you nothing to learn that from what I remember. Stellaris felt like all numbers to me, I went right back to ES2.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
Hey, I was playing Civ 1 back in the early 90s it wasn't that long ago...doh. 2021 will be 30 years!

Mizaq fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 25, 2019

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

Gamerofthegame posted:

yeah that part seems like it'll loving suck and I don't really know why they're going this route, particularly with a "historical" game

this isn't civ religion where it's a nice bonus, this is who I am playing. if I wanted a france game I don't want to have to end up with the huns cuz I had a bad start or something

Good thing you can just boot up Civilization to play just France! One of the articles references Amplitude saying that they are free to try new ideas because they're not shackled to the legacy gameplay of Civilization. I admit, I'd love to play a version of Civilization with modern features free of the tyranny of 1UPT, but I'm hoping Firaxis makes that, not Amplitude.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
I expected more from the music, to be honest. Is there a way to unlock an alternate soundtrack? edit: this comment wasn't fair, I'm only on day one of the game. I apologize.

Mizaq fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 18, 2021

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

Solemn Sloth posted:

There are 4 paid music DLCs on launch lol

I don't understand what that is. Is it additional music? Is it downloaded mp3s? There's a DLC which is clearly an orchestral album of mp3s, but the four pack is poorly labelled.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
I turned on the game clock so I could see the real time since this is full screen. There's a menu option and it defaults to off. Ok, whatever, once it's turned on you get a helpful clock in the top left...

just while you are in the game's system menu. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
Is there a hidden setting to turn off the auto-grey when you zoom out?