Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I think a lot of the things they've done here are really cool, and it's really nice to see some new ideas in a very stale genre. I give them the benefit of the doubt that they will figure out balance and AI issues. I think my biggest concern is the game seems kind of boring. There's something that is just kind of unsatisfying and bland about everything.

It's also really hard to figure out what the hell the different districts and infrastructures actually do. There are a lot of numbers floating around and I don't know what most of them mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

The thing that worries me with this game is it’s like they came up with a bunch of really cool and innovative ideas but don’t really seem willing/able to either balance them or pare them down in a way that actually works mechanically. Might have fallen a little too in love with their own creation.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I don't think I understand how war works.

I declared on a neighbor and quickly took two cities plus attached territories. Opponent runs out of war support and this triggers them to force-surrender to me. However, it's not an option - I have to let them surrender to me, and in doing so give them back one of their cities.

The really annoying this is that I was like 5 war score away from being able to vassalize them.

How exactly does that work? Why do I have to stop the war and cede ground just because they run out of support?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

The shameful secret is that you just collect stars until an opponent takes one of the civs you want and then you reload your autosave and take it.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I spent a few days playing the beta for the new expansion (you can opt-in via Steam) and it's pretty much still just Humankind. The AI seems noticeably tougher at both the strategic and tactical levels though. I found myself losing way more fights and my normal battle strategy of "take the high ground and let the AI run into you" stopped working so much.