Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

is the AI going to be any good

I barely touched Endless Legend due to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Fleetwood Crack posted:

I mostly played multiplayer in EL so it wasn't really an issue for me. But hopefully they do better than civ in this regard, especially with transparent diplomacy with the AI.

One thing I hope they get rid of is the tedious RPG elements such as equipping hero units with items. That poo poo was just a time-sink to me in EL.

oof, don't remind me of release Civ V, that AI was horrendous

the more damning fact that more or less dogs V to this day is that you have to install device drivers and run an external program if you want to have functioning AI in your multiplayer games, which as a whole, makes absolutely no sense

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Panzeh posted:

Through the ages is probably the best game on this topic, yeah. Civ4 is probably the second best.

as much as I hate stacks, Civ 4 pretty much still remains best in class in a lot of ways

I honestly just wish they'd figure out how to reasonably handle combat on the board, since 1UPT seems to really prefer lots and lots of indirect units while whatever the hell EL does is just lmao

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Panzeh posted:

Having played it recently, I don't think civ4's combat is actually that bad. It could be more complex, but in general i'd rather see civ combat get more in line with other systems in the game rather than more complex.

That's another odd quirk; you can build strongholds and the like in your own territory, but there's really no way to stage, say, a military encampment or base on the front lines. Have to have someone with Medic upgrades in order to keep the formation going.

If you could align cultural borders or influence with the amount of military presence you have in a certain part of your enemy's territory to build one, I guess that's a way around it.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Now I'm even more skeptical given the free-form nature of the win conditions, given that they haven't had anything at all to say about the AI yet.

I feel like I'm harping on at this point, but it is really key to get it right.