Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Psyched for this game, but I wonder how this will work with getting a feeling for other civilizations around you.

Like, in Civ, the Blue Player to my west is India, led by Ghandi, and I kinda know they'll be puttering around with culture and fairly peaceful. The Green Player to my east are the Aztecs, led by Montazuma, and I know I should probably reinforce that border.

In this game the Blue Player is the uh... Egypto-Roman-Incan-Franco-Chinese, and the Green Player is the Babylonian-Celtic-Arab-Korean-Germans. :confused:

I wonder if there will be some sort of Great Leader figure to give different countries some form of personality/predictablity/prefered cultures to grab? Like, if Etruscan Caesar is next door, you know he's going to be aggressive across the course of the game and that he's going to try to grab the Romans next era, and the Byzantines and Italians later, so if you want those cultures you better beat him to the next era?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Graphics were nice, but yikes the doofy voice over and horrible doodly music left me stone cold. Ugh.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Touchdown Boy posted:

If its not looking promising maybe Oldworld will satisfy.

My excitement and interest has definitely flipped 100% to Old World, although I expect some of that is that it's actually in early access now, so there's actually gameplay info.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Tried this for a little bit. My lovely rural New England internet struggles with Stadia.

I'd get the sparkles which I guess are like goody huts, and they'd say XYZ happened but no indication of what the game effect was. I found a trove of knowledge! Did it give me science? I dunno. When they show up in the notification bar down below they still tell you nothing.

Similarly I got an event where the river flooded and I paid a lot of cash for a chance at a 'good outcome'. I won that gamble and there was a popup about the land becoming more fertile or something, but no indication of the in-game effect.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I put it on normal difficulty and was, on the whole, underwhelmed.

I seemed to blast off in power incredibly fast, so that I spent most of the game just clicking away turns or building stuff and random because it didn't seem to matter. Researched all the techs long before the scenario ended.

AI seemed a bit confused and passive. Got invaded early by the brown guys to my south. They sent four scouts into my lands. I had an army of like 3 warriors 2 archers. Chased their scouts around for a bit and killed them. Peace negotiations resulted in my being able to make them my vassal. Never heard a peep from them from the entire rest of the game, but by the end they were feeding 2000+ gold a turn into my treasury. LOL Alternately, I launched an invasion of one of the other states on my home continent for resources and occupied the whole thing but only had enough warscore to take two provinces. I dunno.

Split the 'New World' with the purple country, although I was pretty passive about it and they got 2/3rds of it. Pleased they expanded well. They also had like 20+ units running around my undefended colonies but were peaceful and happy.

A few turns before the end the black country started demanding one of my New World provinces they were no where near. I told them to buzz off, so that maybe there would have been a war? Didn't matter, I had so much gold I could purchase new colonial provinces to full productivity in a single turn and buy armies instantly.

Speaking of armies, I couldn't figure out how to load land units like settlers onto boats. The caravel said it could transport units, but if I moved them together they only moved at the slow 3 per turn rate, not the full caravel speed.

Game was lousy about communicating some stuff, like what 'goodie huts' did when you popped them, or why I go an era star. It just pops up saying it happened with no info on what or why.

I have to agree with the sense that there are lots of things that make the game feel... 'generic'?

The whole AI EMPIRE (2) thing is _awful_. I guess they should be named after the leader? Like LUCY'S EMPIRE or something? The diplomacy avatars are pretty goofy and seems like there are some bugs. I demanded the vassalization of the empire I mentioned earlier and on that surrender the enemy AI made threats and I cowered? If you can play against your own AI avatars I'll definitely end up making some historic figures to play against. I'd rather play against 'Napoleon of the Manchu' or 'Julius Caesar of America' then 'Larry', 'Vlad', and 'Betty-Sue of the Babylonians'. Ugh.

I know the changing cultures over time idea is central to the game, but it does feel like it just blurs you and your opponents into a smear of sameiness. It also just feels weird and a bit disorienting to have my neighbors be Hittites then Romans then Japanese then French.

The city building art makes everything feel samey. You'll have these beautiful deserts and different looking landscapes but the instant you build on them they all turn into very similar looking green farmlands.

Absolutely no idea what's going on with civics. Mousing over the sliders doesn't say what I'm sliding towards and the effects seemed unimportant compared to how much power my cities turned out naturally.

Religion technically existed in the game.

I'd like to see the zoomed out map shade by color and a mini-map.

I felt like I missed something on the city construction tutorial. City building felt like a bit of a black box. It seemed like my infrastructure(?) projects made unimproved rivers so good that if I wanted to put a farming district on them the tooltip said that would _decrease_ the amount of food produced?! I just mostly threw down random crap and was producing so much it didn't seem important exactly what I built. I feel like if I focused in on something I probably could have smashed the balance out of all wack, but it wasn't even needed.

Honestly the impression I came away with from the end, thinking about Civilization is that Humankind has tons of choices, but none of them seem to matter much, it's just a big storm of numbers. Civ 6 the choices you're making seem to be a lot more permanent and important.

I don't regret buying it. Seems like there's a lot of potential here, but it also feels like it has a long way to go.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The Human Crouton posted:

I didn't even get to the last era. Is there a "new world" mechanic?

I agree with pretty much everything you said here. Some of your criticisms can eventually be fixed because they are math and AI based, but some of the others will persist no matter how the formulas change.

The changing of civilizations sucks hard, and unfortunately the game is designed around it. I found the entire experience to be nebulous and unmemorable. Like you, I identified opponents by color, but never really found them to have any form. I just knew that my color should be more prominent than any other color. I couldn't even learn the other color's abilities because those abilities would just loving change.

I think this game maxes out at a C grade.

Well, there was a continent that was empty when I got there.

There are things that I really like, for what it's worth. Attaching territories is cool, I had 5 cities, most of which had 2-3 territories attached, and man they were putting out numbers. My star city had ~2000 production and with overflow was building half a dozen infrastructure projects a turn. Again, it made the choices irrelevent. Each project did interesting bonus things, where if the numbers were balanced you might have to make hard choices.... but I just built the whole dozen in 2 turns, so..... LOL. Number inflation feels a bit... JRPG, where you start off being excited to add +4 industry and then your city takes off and you're dealing with numbers in the thousands.

Was playing on 'serious' difficulty. Wiped out the purple country on my home continent (I mean 'egypt') shortly after they founded their first city and green and brown wanted to ally with me later, so our continent was just peaceful.

I should do another run and this time try to conquer the whole landmass. The warscore/crisis system seems to have a lot of potential.

I really really appreciate how quickly the game moves and how quick the turns are.

Hoping it gets pulled together and a big balancing pass done. Sometimes it feels like they just threw every single system they could think of at the game (civics feel tacked on), but a bunch of the systems have a lot of promise too. We'll see.

EDIT: It ain't gonna be a civ killer tho

EDIT: Honestly, I'm curious how moddable it would be. If you just made all (or many) of the fun interesting cultures availiable right from the first age and then it only allowed 'transcend' it might be interesting. Some of the cultures seem mega unbalanced though. Like Korea gives you +4 sci per coastal tile, which means harbors are sucking in tons of science. I saw another culture where their special power was -20% outpost cost :geno: :lol:

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 21, 2020

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I like a lot of things about this, but boy combat is weird and clunky.

First oddity, I moved some units out of my capital, and despite the fact I couldn't see the ai units in the fog over the border, they knew I moved, declared war on 'my' turn, moved to siege the city, and then I couldn't move my units back to help because I hadn't discovered organized warfare.

Medieval era I knew the Mongols would be coming and built up a 20 unit defense army, they invaded with 30+ horse archers. 50 units in one battle wasn't epic, it was unit carpet on a level that would shame Civ. Plus, all the Mongols went first and completely rolled over my medieval army to the point where I'm not clear how I could have theoretically won. Terrain was meaningless, every square was occupied, it was just a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Ugh, I had a very similar thing happen in the last beta, but the combat system drives me mad.

My neighbor became the Huns and I started reinforcing my border city to protect it. I had two four stacks hanging out separated by a single hex. A Hun stack of 4 came out of the fog and attacked. For some reason it sucked in all his reinforcements hiding in the fog so he had 12 units of overpowered Hun horses, and didn't bring in my second stack so that I only had 4 units in combat. Then all his units move first, attack twice(?), take no damage because they're ranged and just stackwipe me and take zero damage.