Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

This sounds like a very boring combat system that will instantly get bogged down by the AI making 40 single unit "armies" and the player being forced to spend multiple turns dealing with each one. Kind of like total war, but worse.

Yea. It sounds like a slog. For a game like this I want my combat to be abstracted to gently caress please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Victory Position posted:

oof, don't remind me of release Civ V, that AI was horrendous

the more damning fact that more or less dogs V to this day is that you have to install device drivers and run an external program if you want to have functioning AI in your multiplayer games, which as a whole, makes absolutely no sense

Civ6 and Endless Legend AI still feels worse than in Civ5.
Even as a bad player (and I definitely am) they're really passive. I always feel like if I can beat them without even really building any units then they're doing something wrong.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Perestroika posted:

I'm gonna have to disagree on this part, at least to a degree. In principle, I ought to love games like EL or Stellaris, but in practice I always ended up dropping ongoing games mostly on the basis of the presentation (or lack thereof). Most of the fun in a 4x is seeing your empire grow and evolve, but in there you didn't really see that happening outside of some numbers getting bigger and the borders moving about. To be fair, that's as much an issue of the space setting as it is of those games specifically, but it is an issue nonethelss.

Yea for me I really enjoy "story playing" so Stellaris is great for me because I get to sort of roleplay my empire. I enjoyed Civ4 for a similar reason.
Endless Legend and Endless Space it doesn't feel right to me, so I just slide right off.

I think theme and setting are a loving enormous part of what makes these games good.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Panzeh posted:

Having played it recently, I don't think civ4's combat is actually that bad. It could be more complex, but in general i'd rather see civ combat get more in line with other systems in the game rather than more complex.

While stacks might feel weird to people there's nothing (for me) more annoying than having to loving move 30 separate units to somewhere. Especially if - like in Civ5/6 - they can interrupt one another as they move.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I decided to look that up and yeah, I suppose it is!

God I do hate the graphics in EU though. I think I would be a sucker for Paradox games if only the graphics weren't so awful.

Really?! I feel like they're really good and functional although EU4 for me didn't look as nice as EU2 (hence my custom title)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Panzeh posted:

World building is lame and sci-fi/fantasy is a massive crutch.

World building is all that matters and sci-fi/fantasy gives the game tonnes more depth.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Aerdan posted:

I don't think I understand the distinction you're trying to make here, because literally every decision in a game boils down to precisely that.

"What colour will my character's hair be"
"What sort of graphical display will I have" as a general thing.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SlyFrog posted:

I think a huge disadvantage of Old World is that it is literally just old world. It does not come close (to my understanding) of covering the whole scope of history through the modern age.

Fine if you don't care about that, but I do.

Yea, theme is important to me and Old World feels too small scale.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The little video they did of chasing animals round with a cursor near a lake was more interesting than any of the reveals of civs.
Because what does being a militarist civ mean, what's an emblematic unit etc etc etc etc blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Clarste posted:

Well, I didn't mean food specifically, I just meant pick the bonuses that stacks with your current bonuses in order to snowball harder. Which is more or less how Factions have functioned in their previous games.

I understood you, I guess they assume you'll go with how the game is going? So if you pick research to start you might go militaristic because that feels like the best way to get ahead?
The thing is I don't know of a time 4x games have ever supported playing like that.

So far a lot of what they've said and done feels like the kinda thing you do when you're totally new to the genre and aren't learning from how people played past games.

Taear fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 5, 2020