Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Good. I love Civ but I think it needs competition and new ideas from a developer that hasn't been doing it since the beginning of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mr.Misfit posted:

Did...did we stop at some point calling it "Renaissance"?

If you're talking about global stuff, yeah. Renaissance is a more specific period of time within part of Europe. Of course classical and medieval also refer only to the Mediterranean world/Europe so. :shrug: It's hard to pick a term that works globally since anything you do before very recent history is not going to be global. The old stone/bronze/iron age divisions don't work either. It's not solvable, really.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 13, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mr.Misfit posted:

But isn´t the game, as a 4x, already western-centric ? It takes the ideas of "ages/eras of humanity", "forced technological development" as being an imminent part of societal evolution, which, if I remember correctly, isn´t even the standard model for most of the worlds development and "development by expansion and refinement of land and ressources"?

Not really. There was plenty of technological development and imperialism all around the globe, the west did not invent either of those things. There are societies that hit a certain level of technological progress and didn't do much after that, which is a subject of study in anthropology. One popular hypothesis is those societies tend to be in places where the environment is very favorable to daily life and there just isn't much pressure to change, life is pretty good as-is.

There are also many, many societies that divide their history into different ages, but the model selected for most 4X games is European based since if you're playing a 4X game in English it was probably developed by westerners. There are attempts to apply it elsewhere but they don't work very well. Some exceptions exist--bronze age before iron age does crop up in other parts of the world because refining iron is simply a much harder thing to do, so the technology tends to come after bronzeworking. But then if you try to apply say, stone age to different societies, you end up calling massive and advanced empires like the Aztecs or Inka stone age, which really does not make a lot of sense with how stone age is used in European contexts.

In any case, "all of human history in a video game" is always going to have simplifications so it's not a huge deal.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Early modern is roughly 1500-1700, so yeah, that's Tokugawa era. But that's the usual problem with applying European periods globally.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If the game wants to have gatling elephants I'm not going to object to gatling elephants.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've played games that were delayed and real good and ones that were delayed and real bad. I don't think you can really read anything into delays as a concept. Until they turn into Bloodlines 2 level fuckups, anyway.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

Swedes are a ridiculous choice for a modern era civ. They should have just bit the bullet and made a European Union civ.

It's very odd. Especially since Swedes as an early modern would make sense.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Only bug I'm seeing so far is I just got a message about being close to defeat in my war against the Carthaginians, who I am not at war with and am in fact allied to.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Just instantly lost my first war because their armies apparently teleported into the middle of my empire instead of having to cross the border, where the defenses were. That was cool.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Why is another empire the leader of my religion and picking all my tenets? How is that determined?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Anno posted:

There’s a button on the bottom right that colors districts. It’s helpful.

Unless you're colorblind, in which case they're all identical and there's no way to identify districts other than hovering around before you go to the build screen.

Anno posted:

I believe it’s the follower of that religion that controls the most holy sites. You can check on the religious UI.

Could be it. For some reason I have never had the option to build holy sites in this game so I have none. :confused:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Which tech allows embarked units to travel further? I have islands I want to put outposts on but it's one tile too far for the scouts to make it across before sinking.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Danann posted:

Researching better transports and going for cultures with +naval movement speed is basically the only way to get faster transports iirc.

Norsemen also have a special transport that's faster by one movement and less affected by high seas too.

I can't ever send troops across more than three ocean tiles unless I pick a naval culture? They can't possibly have made a design decision that stupid.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Horizon Burning posted:

what the gently caress is with goons and weird hyperbole about video games

Literally just replying to what the poster said, my dude. Chillax.

Was wrong too. Three Masted Ships improves your transports, early modern era.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Whoa, settlers being able to create cities with all the infrastructure buildings pre-made is crazy powerful. I'm not sure what I think about the big swings this game is making but they're interesting. Strategic resources being so rare seems like it's designed to drive wars. If I knew who I needed to attack to get gunpowder.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That could make sense. I'm playing a huge and I have a horse, a copper, and iron, and three MYSTERY RESOURCES yet to be revealed. I've been able to buy a second copy of each of those from my ally, and they have two MYSTERY RESOURCES too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There definitely seems to be something weird with the map generator. I can see three continents in my game now and all of them are narrow strips stretching from the north to the south pole.

E: Fourth continent is the same. Wonder what shape the final one will be??

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 19, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Is influence a mechanic that's supposed to be key early then irrelevant later? Once territory's mostly been claimed there doesn't seem to be anything to do with it. Only time I see it used is to claim wonders, but I have like 10k banked at that point so who gives a poo poo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, I did see the city merge but like you say, I don't see what the point of that is.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It's useful if you're conquering or assimilating minor civs, as taking cities night put you over the limit.

Ah that makes sense. I haven't gone conquering yet so haven't had to deal with being over the city limit.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I hope they add more game start options. More world generation of course, but I also always play Civ with the turn limit off and it sucks not having that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I like how you can explore another civ's territory before you contact them. Less of a fan of how that means your unit is now stuck in their territory, you can't move it without declaring war, you can't disband it because it's outside your territory, and you can't put it to sleep because it's in enemy territory so you have to do the skip turn button every single turn from then on.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Am I reading things wrong or do industrial era Persians get a flat -25% cost on literally everything you build?

E: Siam's +3 industry to every district seems pretty good too... also they get gatling gun elephants.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I guess there's a realism to the game ending out of nowhere due to the leading AI polluting the poo poo out of the planet and there being no way whatsoever to address that, but lol is that unsatisfying. Can't even continue playing on a pollution ending.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

boo boo bear posted:

perfect opportunity for a mad max or fallout dlc though

I never even got to build a nuke let alone launch one. :smith:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Era speed does seem to do nothing. I just played a game on the slowest setting and still won on turn 290 with a Mars landing, and two of the ai were also in the contemporary era with me.

Can you post a couple screens of your city outputs? I played a slowest setting game and this seems insane to me, by turn 300 I think the leading player had just gotten to the medieval era.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jesus. Those yields are easily 15 times what any of my cities produce. How are you doing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

How many territories are you attaching? I've been just doing two per city. It seems like more cities are better since you have more build queues, and I've never come close to filling the space with districts, but obviously I don't know what I'm doing.