Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

You could have the AI system respond in meaningful ways to the actions the player takes (more than the AI's choices) by matching results with expectations directly. Abstract away more of the mechanics.

To use Civ amenities/happiness as an example, if you're roaming around actively pillaging luxuries and spreading dissent, have it treat this as an attack on a city's loyalty and roll for rebellions etc. But don't kneecap the AI's natural growth/expansion if it failed to settle luxuries early on per core game sim rules unless it seriously did a bad job or got seriously unlucky.

This is in contrast to simply having them play "by the same rules!" followed by a huge inherent bonus that invalidates the mechanics and leaves the player with no way to interact with that civ using said mechanics.

Another example, handwave food and growth using general rules (plains? desert?). Don't worry about crop carryover or intelligent farm adjacency bonuses or food trade route management for the AI. But if a storm hits or barbarians are burning fields or there's a siege, or you block the trade routes, then have a related result on population etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

England has a pretty sweet war theme but you're right, I feel like it's being pretty guilting about the whole thing -- when instead we should be celebrating the arks racing to Mars amidst the nuclear fire in the background :v:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Clarste posted:

Once again, my reaction is "okay, so what? what do they do?"

For a while I've been thinking it reminds me of Star Citizen, where I don't think they actually know the ramifications of any system or feature or trait.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Anno posted:

Some other contemporary culture with a fancy globe building EQ?

Will you play as Disney Corp? 🤔

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

yegods posted:

What a lousy system is G2G. It wouldn't even let me register, saying my email address (that i've used for 10-15 years with every other site), is invalid. Good show! Hope they don't require that to play the game later.

Is it possible you've used it there already?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

It'll make sense if the F35 has increased research, cost, and build times compared to contemporaries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Congrats on your grand accomplishment Ruhr Valley, your industry sucks and you should just shut it all down
-Civ VI