Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.astellia-mmo.com/home

Pre-launch trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AibDIyl4nNQ

A brand new Korean MMORPG for PC in what is becoming a very rare occurrence nowadays! Game will have a strong launch day (September 27, 2019) and then after a month the population will drop to nothing, the devs will quietly be laid off, and the game will receive no further updates for 5 years before the game is shut down, and no one even notices or cares.

Somethings that might be of interest to someone: The dungeons scale to group size, and desired difficulty. They all have a solo mode! The devs also do seem serious about listening. Initially they announced a pretty pay to win cash shop, and gender locked classes. The beta test community let them know both of these things were stupid as poo poo, so the devs went back and completely revamped the cash shop, and acquired the additional funding to animate and create male / female options for all classes and races.

There is a headstart period, it cost as much as $100 for a 7 day headstart. Don't be loving stupid, stay away from this poo poo, wait for the game to officially launch on September 27.

Gameplay from beta, this video will actually try to talk you out of playing the game, I think this is a good thing so that is why I am linking it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQYixl_I5Ko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
I'll play (if it's free) for launch because I enjoy MMO launches, but that's it. This thing is likely already dead in the water because you're right, it doesn't bring anything new to the table. Part of me is still glad that these things get released still once or twice a year, rather than the genre just dying completely.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
This looks like complete dogshit. Not even bad but fun dogshit. Just dogshit.

Some choice quotes from the review:

quote:

The gear they gave out at level 50 is an item drop from one of the six legendary dungeons, which i believe is some of the best gear in the game, and it looks identical to the starting armor.

...this was devoid of pretty much any actual fun...

...render distance inside a dungeon instance...

The boss had an absolute metric ton of hp to the point we were damaging for about 4 minutes and only got its health down to 60%... that's not difficult that's just frustrating...

...the dungeons were pretty much the opposite of the name... they weren't legendary at all...

The dungeons go like this: The tank pulls one mob. You damage it for 20-60 seconds, it finally dies. You pull another mob. They are nothing but health sponges.

It is for me, just not a good game. I would have been extremely disappointed if I'd paid 100 dollars if I paid for the full game... based on this experience, I believe this game is about as generic as it gets... the game does nothing above average.

If a game being not as bad as Bless is one of the better things you can say about it... it's probably not a good game.

Chalkece
Jan 27, 2019

Lawlicaust posted:

This looks like complete dogshit. Not even bad but fun dogshit. Just dogshit.

Some choice quotes from the review:

But do we have a few more infos that just the release date? Like classes, gameplay, pvp, pve stuff and so on

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It looks a bit like Riders of Icarus only without the outdated graphics. It won't be something that will draw you in for the next 5 years but there should be a couple good weeks at least.

I mean it's an mmo. You've probably played enough by now that nothing is new and everything is tiring.

I'll be the canary in the mine and give this a try once it releases. Unless you, dear reader, already know you like kmmos then be cautious with your money.

I said come in! posted:

Somethings that might be of interest to someone: The dungeons scale to group size, and desired difficulty. They all have a solo mode!

They've already planned ahead for the inevitable pop drop. Smart.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 24, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
Was Archeage the first of this Crytek (or Crytek looking) era of Korean pump and dump MMOs? I feel like there might have been one or two before it but it was certainly the one with the most Western impact and I can only assume from how many we got over here that they must be absolutely drowning in that poo poo over there for what has to be at least a decade now.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Crytek specifically I think you're right calling Archeage the first pump & dump. Plenty of other examples using older engines from the 00s but who knows what they were called now.

Then you have Perfect World International which is a pretty basic hardcore grindathon CMMO that launched in English back in 2008 and it's somehow still around. Probably a point of honor/face to keep it going since it shares the name with the publisher. No I'm not recommending anyone try it. In fact I recommend avoiding it unless you're specifically interested in cash shop monetization because for me it was like a crystal ball into the future of what is now modern western "games as a live service" pricing. In the west we haven't quite reached peak "gently caress you" in the cash shop but we'll get there, don't worry.

Edit - PWI is really something "special" to me because of how hard the sell is. They really, really want you to spend money and have absolutely no issues with you knowing it. If they were Ubisoft or EA we could call them shameless but they simply give no fucks and never have. These are the last 3 updates I found after a 5 second google search:

Sunday Fortune Bundle
This weekend, catch a special bundle in the Cash Shop featuring...

Friday Marketplace Update
Featuring the Howling Jade Pack! Marketplace Start: 8/23/2019...

Marketplace Update
Marketplace Update The following sales are available: Start:...

Yes those are all seperate line items with their own pages. I'm not linking any of them because why would you click on any of this.

This has not a lot to do with Astellia I guess. I'm more interested in how the evolution over time of convincing the western video game market to spend money on pixels has been essentially an import of Chinese & Korean marketing methods under stealth with a layer of PR paint.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 25, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
I called that out in particular because I think every single KMMO since has looked exactly the same except maybe like Black Desert because it had a little style, but everything else looks exactly like Archeage.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I thought Archeage looked a lot like earlier 00s era KMMOs but with better graphics, though I know what you mean. It's the art style in general terms that seems to have remained popular in Korea.

Has to look flashy & good with lots of bling cosmetics because otherwise how else can you impress your friends in the PC BANG cafe?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
archaege used to actually be good and that's what hooked a TON of people into it and is the reason people keep coming to the 'one last ride' fresh starts, because at the core there are many good mechanics about the game

unfortunately the developers, like many mmos, are egotistical morons who are incapable of actual good design or are simply in it for the money.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The one week headstart begins this Friday. So we should start seeing some impressions of the full release this weekend. Unless absolutely no one bought the headstart packs. I am not going to cave, I know full well those things are bullshit.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
i watched the critique video of this and decided to buy the cheapest package for archeage unchained instead. i've never played it, but everyone seems to say the game itself was great, it was just the pay to win poo poo that ruined it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kak posted:

i watched the critique video of this and decided to buy the cheapest package for archeage unchained instead. i've never played it, but everyone seems to say the game itself was great, it was just the pay to win poo poo that ruined it.

Those heavily invested (financially) in Archeage say it's great. Of course play it and enjoy it if it's your thing.

If you remember one thing make it this: Archeage has authorative client side coding. Let that turn over in your mind for a bit. Yes it absolutely means packet injection time to certain people.

Things like your HP are client side. Have fun.

Edit - phrasing

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 18, 2019

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

drat I would like to try hacking in an mmo for once but I don't want to pay money just to gently caress around

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watching Twitch streams now that the 7 day headstart is live, and the game doesn't look that bad. If you've played any MMO ever, then you know exactly what to expect.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I actually played the closed beta test for this game awhile back and its a very mediocre game. Its not bad but its not good its just very meh and forgettable. Combat is boring. Standard tab target wow style combat but that's not the main reason.. You get a whole bunch of skills but these skills are all the same copy paste skills that you already have. I played a scholar and everything was either a ball of light or a lightning bolt from the sky. Even skills called spear of light is a literal ball of light flying towards the enemy. You have one spammable cast-time skill and every other skill is a instant cast nuke on different cooldowns that adds nothing but slight damage. So you basically spam one button while juggling cooldowns on the rest.

The quests are the same boring fetch quests, bear asses, or kill 15 demons. Combined with a very long time to kill and boring story, the questing seem to drag on forever. When I say boring story I mean its the generic safe korean mmo story of bad guys attacking your little village or whatever and your sister gets kidnapped by demons so you go on a journey to save her while solving all the problems in the world along your way. Like 5 minutes into the game and you can meet the final villain who leaves you wounded but alive so you can seek revenge.

Then there are the astells which are basically summons with really dumb AI. You start off with Rota (forgot her name) some robot who is a tank. You then meet other astells with different roles like casters, healers, assassins. You can basically keep 1 out forever without draining your mana. Summoning another drains it slowly. Amd summoning a third drains it rapidly. These things will stand inside telegraphs and AoEs and get one shotted inside dungeons constantly. That said, the dungeons are split into 1 man and 5 man dungeons. 1 man dungeons are basically story dungeons and 5 man are, well 5 man versions of the 1 man dungeon! Hps get boosted and the entire layout and boss is exactly the same. Maybe it changes later but I got to level 15 in the beta was was done with it. It was just depressingly boring to play. Nothing wow'd me for the entire couple of hours I played.

I don't know if anything was changed during beta to launch so stuff may have gotten better. I would recommend waiting for feedback before dumping money into a head start.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Every mmo is basically identical so they're all interchangable.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I know this won't be a good game and I doubt strongly i'll get a character to the cap, but I am still looking forward to playing it when it officially launches on Saturday.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is out now, it's not a good MMO by the way. It's not bad either, but it's just super generic and boring. The character customization is terrible as well. Like all Korean MMOs, the women characters are all super creepy overly sexualized, and their equipment options are pieces of armor / clothing that make sure they are as close to naked as possible all the way from level 1 to 50. If you roll the magic user class as well, you're forced to see this on what looks like a girl. I can't get myself to play this when the fashion and character customization options are so loving terrible. What a let down.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Is this going to be f2p or is it one of those "Put it out there for 6 months to bilk to addicts, then swap f2p and hope to recoup losses" situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's competent and perfectly fine. It also doesn't particularly stand out in any way.

My guess is F2P in 6-12 months and no major content updates but will likely get various tiny ones & patches. Will probably remain online basically forever like other similar KMMOs.

Not a Bless situation if that's the query. If TERA can survive as long as it has with basically less to offer then Astellia will be "perfectly fine" if not particularly notable in a sea of whatever MMOs.

Like, its enjoyable in isolation but the MMO market is generally shrinking for a reason.