Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skinner is there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is that Drew Carey’s transvestite brother playing Mr Jingles?

Yep.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is that Drew Carey’s transvestite brother playing Mr Jingles?

No, it’s Twisty the Clown.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's the stamp designer from Fargo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Well that was unhinged even by AHS standards

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Watching Billie Lourd be the alpha female over Emma Roberts is really messing with my head.

edit: Gus Kenworthy's stuffed shorts are incredible.

Grem fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 19, 2019

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I kept waiting for a twist or something to veer it off the typical serial killer story

Deceptive
Dec 27, 2012
So the hiker had already lost an ear before Mr. Jingles broke out. Mr. Jingles also didn't take any ears from the people he did kill as far as we saw, though he did take keys which is a bit more fitting for him. I think they might be two different killers. And then there is the Nightstalker too. There might be three different serial killers at this summer camp.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Deceptive posted:

So the hiker had already lost an ear before Mr. Jingles broke out. Mr. Jingles also didn't take any ears from the people he did kill as far as we saw, though he did take keys which is a bit more fitting for him. I think they might be two different killers. And then there is the Nightstalker too. There might be three different serial killers at this summer camp.

Since this is AHS, I expect there to be at least three serial killers.

April
Jul 3, 2006

I think Murphy is leaning way too hard into the summer camp/slasher cliches, and he's going to go into a completely different direction in a few episodes.

Placing my bet now: 1984 looks like a teen slasher, but it's actually Orwell's 1984, and the kids are part of a closely monitored government experiment. I was thinking along the lines of The Village, where the "killer" is some authority figure in disguise who's supposed to keep the kids from leaving the camp. But I think any kind of government-conspiracy scenario would fit. Ryan Murphy does love his "clever" swerves, and it feels like the name is a big clue. He could've picked any year from the decade or so when slasher movies were super-popular, but 1984 has very different connotations.

Also, a lot of seasons were named for their location, (Roanoke, Murder House, Asylum) or the group of people involved (Coven, Freak Show, Cult). So I feel like if it were just kids at slasher camp, he would have called it Camp or something like that.

He also likes to do a big twist around the 6th episode of each season, and a friend just informed me that this year, the 6th episode is the 100th series episode, so I expect something extra-insane.

Finally, I'm digging it so far (the soundtrack alone is making me very happy), but I keep looking for clues about what's REALLY going on. There's no way it's this simple.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DocBubonic posted:

Everyone is some sort of serial killer. The camp head is the last girl starts copycatting serial killer, Billy Lourde is the Squeaky Fromme to the Nightstalker's Manson, the nurse is a Munchousen killer and so on and so forth. The whole season is a serial killer deathmatch map.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

April posted:

I think Murphy is leaning way too hard into the summer camp/slasher cliches, and he's going to go into a completely different direction in a few episodes.

Placing my bet now: 1984 looks like a teen slasher, but it's actually Orwell's 1984, and the kids are part of a closely monitored government experiment. I was thinking along the lines of The Village, where the "killer" is some authority figure in disguise who's supposed to keep the kids from leaving the camp. But I think any kind of government-conspiracy scenario would fit. Ryan Murphy does love his "clever" swerves, and it feels like the name is a big clue. He could've picked any year from the decade or so when slasher movies were super-popular, but 1984 has very different connotations.

Also, a lot of seasons were named for their location, (Roanoke, Murder House, Asylum) or the group of people involved (Coven, Freak Show, Cult). So I feel like if it were just kids at slasher camp, he would have called it Camp or something like that.

He also likes to do a big twist around the 6th episode of each season, and a friend just informed me that this year, the 6th episode is the 100th series episode, so I expect something extra-insane.

Finally, I'm digging it so far (the soundtrack alone is making me very happy), but I keep looking for clues about what's REALLY going on. There's no way it's this simple.

I mean that's pretty much just Cabin In The Woods

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Emma Roberts is a serial killer nexus. Eventually everyone, including the children will try to kill her.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve only seen one other episode of AHS and it featured a microwaved hamster and I was like “maybe next year”

Watched this last night and really enjoyed it for the most part.

Religious Zealotry and serial killer aesthetics are cool, but I’m with the other posters, that episode was a completely on-rails first half of an 80’s slasher flick, so I have no idea how we keep the momentum going for 9 more hours.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Everyone is some sort of serial killer. The camp head is the last girl starts copycatting serial killer, Billy Lourde is the Squeaky Fromme to the Nightstalker's Manson, the nurse is a Munchousen killer and so on and so forth. The whole season is a serial killer deathmatch map.

Yeah, I'm thinking this is more correct.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

My prediction is that the camp owner is the killer and jingles was framed by her.

But I feel as if there is way more to the story than just that. I like the theory above though.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 19, 2019

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
This is SO drat GOOD and far. I don't care that it's mostly just genre ripoffs, it's a blast.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

My prediction is that the camp owner is the killer and jingles was framed by her.

But I feel as if there is way more to the story than just that. I like the theory above though.

My guess is that the camp owner is Jingle's daughter. I'm likely waaaaaaaaay off.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
That was wonderful and I fully expect the show to drop the ball by ep7! :woop:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I feel the exact opposite of the general thread opinion and so I know this season will be loving awesome by episode 5.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

April posted:

Every prior, current, and future season of American Horror Story is already AHS: Camp.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

DocBubonic posted:

I'd be upset if there was just one killer.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

A mix of real world and movie serial killers in a deathmatch would be pretty interesting. Makes me wonder who else'll make an appearance.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CODChimera posted:

I kept waiting for a twist or something to veer it off the typical serial killer story

The twist is that the new girl everyone thinks is high/crazy is actually crazy. The Nightstalker didn't attack her, she imagined it. There was nobody nailed to the door. Nobody chased her.

There definitely wasn't enough time for the killer to chase her back to the cabin and also move the body and remove every trace of the bloody mess. Rough old wood like that can hide dirt, but it holds on to dampness, no way was that door dry and clean that quickly if it got blood on it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Also there'd be a hole where he was nailed to it.

But, logic? In my American Horror Story?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

As others have noted I really can't see how they could drag out the current setup for even a couple more episodes, like the cops know where Jingles is going right? so they'll be swarming that place...and the hitchhiker...there's definitely some fuckery going on already...

April posted:

Interesting. I'll vote for time travel or time loop

CODChimera fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 20, 2019

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

April posted:

Similar to this, reddit theorized this season is actually a game show/reality show

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I kinda loved it.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Multiple killers is very plausible, especially since the killer in the trailers was masked and Mr. Jingles really doesn't have any mystery to him. Including the Night Stalker feels gratuitous though, just for the sake of another '80s name drop. Could have easily been Brooke's abusive ex that she moved to L.A. to escape. But I like the theory she actually imagined it.

I was getting ultra suspicious, probably to an inane degree. Montana's bag that she forgot in the gym, I thought there was something to that. She also sleeps with a knife after all. But she was a lot more upbeat than I was expecting from the screen test. Less Joan Jett and more Cyndi Lauper.

Something's definitely going down in episode 5 and/or 6. No way they stretch this out for 9 or 10 episodes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Maybe he'll throw in a Freddy style dream killer, and this is all happening inside someone's head.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Davros1 posted:

Maybe he'll throw in a Freddy style dream killer, and this is all happening inside someone's head.

The first Nightmare on Elm Street movie came out in 1984, there could be something to that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The only good thing about that episode was the intro.. the intro rocked. The rest was super boring. I wasn't very impressed by the set, costumes, or makeup either. I've been watching 80s slashers in anticipation and this was a big letdown.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I liked it but also like someone said earlier this entire episode was basically the first 10 minutes of any slasher movie spread out to 50 minutes. Even assuming for a twist if the current setup lasts even 3 full episodes it will still be longer than most slasher flicks, so the pace is going to be slow kind of by design.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I started watching Cult for the first time last night and it was quite prescient in the first episode when Sarah Paulson’s character cries “What about Merrick Garland!”

I know that wasn’t the seat Kavanaugh took but drat.

I’m worried about 1984. There’s a reason slashers are only 90 minutes long and I think a Scream Queens whodunnit might have been a better way to go but the season isn’t called Camp or Slasher so we will see what they have planned.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The game Until Dawn is more or less a pretty good 8-hour slasher so it can be done. Although it does change course a couple of times and move from one threat to another, but TV shows can do the same thing and AHS has done so in the past.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What if, and I'm just spitballing here, the show moves past its initial premise like Apocalypse did and leans more heavily into Satanic Panic and Xavier is the antichrist again (or at the very least makes a meta joke about it)

they seem to be setting up satanic panic something at least

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Welp here we go again. An 80s themed one now. I guess ryan murphy saw stranger things.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Patrick Swayze looking a little rough, lol.
Wait, isn't Patrick Swayze dead? WTF.
Looks pretty good for a dead guy.
Nah, must have been somebody else.

Oh poo poo, the Patrick Swayze looking mechanic is back.
Look at those eyes, it's him! Back from the grave to play a bit part in AHS.
This is driving me nuts, what does IMDB say.
Oh, it's Don Swayze, Patrick's still living brother.

Okay.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Pinwiz11 posted:

My guess is that the camp owner is Jingle's daughter. I'm likely waaaaaaaaay off.

Yea? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Jingles

E: wait maybe that wasn't who I meant to quote. Oh well, phonepostin

Oh yea it's this

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Grem fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 21, 2019

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Phi230 posted:

What if, and I'm just spitballing here, the show moves past its initial premise like Apocalypse did and leans more heavily into Satanic Panic and Xavier is the antichrist again (or at the very least makes a meta joke about it)

they seem to be setting up satanic panic something at least

I did get the distinct feeling that Booth is really a satanist in disguise. Possibly luring children for sacrifices under the guise of a serial killer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm just staring the episode and I don't care about spoilers so whatever, but whoever is the foley artist on this needs his cocaine taken away. This smoothie bar scene is a mess. A big fat mess!