Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm feeling like this subforum could use a non-siloed general thread for cross-community chat, announcements, and discussion.

If it turns out not to be useful then we can shut it down.

For now we can follow the general DIY rules, nothing special for this thread as of yet.

Have fun :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Cool to post projects that don't need a dedicated thread here?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sure. Use this thread however you like; the only goal from my side is to have somewhere for people to post without a specific focus. We can always add limitations later if an issue arises.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I have been building a deck roughly 1ft off the ground. I was originally going to just use composite fascia for the skirt but its expensive and boring. Thought about doing vertical 1" slats in a varying width pattern. But then started thinking about stone or faux stone for the skirt. I plan to do a cement top semi built in grill area on the deck so was thinking could use the same stone for the siding of that.

The deck has a 1.5" lip that it would need to go under so I was thinking either .25 or .5 cement board and then attach Airstone (a stone composite) to the cement board with the suggested liquid nails for outdoor use. It would be about a half inch off the ground but has potential for ground contact and board movement from the sub structure. This is Dallas so freezing temperatures are not a huge concern and from what I have read that is the main reason for poorly secured stones to fall off.

Does this sound like bad idea? I have not worked with fake stones before and its ~45' x 1' of stone I'd have to do.

Deck in question

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm renovating a small house, and as part of the renovation I had to yank all the windows because they were all broken and hazardous. I boarded up the windows but now the neighbors are complaining daily to me that the house looks like crap.

The foundation needs to be repaired and I've got guys coming in a couple weeks to do that, but they told me not to install new windows until the stuff is done because the house will need to be jacked up and the windows could crack and get out of plumb during that process, so I can't install windows yet. To keep everyone happy I want to install shutters over the empty windows, which I'm going to be doing tomorrow. Problem is I have a large picture window in the front right next to the front door, so I can't really install shutters there. Is there a tasteful way to shutter a big bay window like that? Or a way to cover the hole without looking like it was boarded up? I'm not sure what people do for bay windows other than put in fake shutters but these have to be real and cover the whole window

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Dolphin posted:

I'm renovating a small house, and as part of the renovation I had to yank all the windows because they were all broken and hazardous. I boarded up the windows but now the neighbors are complaining daily to me that the house looks like crap.

The foundation needs to be repaired and I've got guys coming in a couple weeks to do that, but they told me not to install new windows until the stuff is done because the house will need to be jacked up and the windows could crack and get out of plumb during that process, so I can't install windows yet. To keep everyone happy I want to install shutters over the empty windows, which I'm going to be doing tomorrow. Problem is I have a large picture window in the front right next to the front door, so I can't really install shutters there. Is there a tasteful way to shutter a big bay window like that? Or a way to cover the hole without looking like it was boarded up? I'm not sure what people do for bay windows other than put in fake shutters but these have to be real and cover the whole window

The historic preservation/architectural review board here requires that the windows on historic houses that are empty/abandoned be covered in plywood (to prevent vandalism/squatting I guess?) and the plywood be painted the same color as the house. Painting the plywood the same color really does seem to make it much much much less jump out at you ugly. You might try that?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

How's life as an indie woodworker treating you, Kaiser? You run your own shop, right?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oh, I've also had the admins reduce the number of votes a thread needs before the ratings show. It needs a new vote before it'll update on the thread listing for existing threads, but you should start seeing more ratings pop up over time as people vote on stuff.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

How's life as an indie woodworker treating you, Kaiser? You run your own shop, right?
Well it’s alright I suppose. I just got an order for 8 beds and a mantelpiece all from the same client so that has me pretty much booked up for the rest of the year which is some nice (and unusual) stability. Usually it’s ‘oh poo poo I’m gonna finish this in a week then what am I going to do?!?’

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Well it’s alright I suppose. I just got an order for 8 beds and a mantelpiece all from the same client so that has me pretty much booked up for the rest of the year which is some nice (and unusual) stability. Usually it’s ‘oh poo poo I’m gonna finish this in a week then what am I going to do?!?’

That's one hell of a house they're outfitting.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Yes hello I need eight beds please.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

That's one hell of a house they're outfitting.
It’s actually *only* a 5br house (maybe 3-4000sq ft? Not some outrageous McMansion) but he wants his whole extended family to fit. 3 of the beds are twins and 2 queens and 3 kings.

ColdPie posted:

Yes hello I need eight beds please.
Yeah I’ve never done allll the beds at once in a house before but I ain’t complainin. At least some of the very wealthy got the memo about ‘it is the duty of the gentleman to give employment to the artisan’

What’s everyone’s next project they’re planning?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Got some stairs to build once the painters have been in. gently caress painting a 2.5 storey entryway on my own.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Finishing a coffee table and installing a new hood and replacing a couple shelves with open shelves in the kitchen to make it less dark.

Also, building an aeroponics area into the basement for winter greens and taking cuttings from my chiles and herbs. It's half GWS, but there's a decent amount of plumbing going into it.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

A 19ft miter station/tool storage wall. Cabinets above, drawers below, 3ft deep bench top (to accommodate a Rigid sliding compound miter saw). Which is but a small part of a complete shop rebuild with dust collection, insulation, and A/C on top of new tool layouts. Its more of a winter project as long as I finish this deck in the next few months.

Anyone got a good site for used tools besides craigslist or facebook (that I can't get into)? I have been watching CL for a month now for a tablesaw deal and its all 1500-2k powermatics and a dozen craftsman contractors.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

My daughter wants me to make a triple bunk bed and a cradle for her dolls. Gonna be my first mostly hand tools project, I'm pretty excited about starting it.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I haven't been posting in the woodworking thread because summer is busy and the little time I have for woodworking is going to a backyard picnic table which is terribly uninteresting. My winter project might be a new dresser for myself, which is a pretty massive project. Been trying some design ideas on paper, but nothing solid yet.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Working on some benches for my wife's school. Got the lumber and deck screws donated, and I got voluntold to build them.

Only 8 more to go.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

What's everyone working on this fine 3 day weekend (for US at least)?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

JEEVES420 posted:

What's everyone working on this fine 3 day weekend (for US at least)?

Drawers for my workbench

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Getting books out of boxes and up on shelves so we can clear out the spare room that's supposed to be the music room and get my guitar building/maintenance/electronics bench set back up so I can finally do some stuff again.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Like a hundred fifty daffodil and tulip bulbs under the mulched bed my wife and I finished restoring this summer. She’s at work today so she won’t know until spring, if I can keep my trap shut.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Aw

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That will be very exciting Bad Munki!

I did yard work yesterday and realized how neglected my yard has become because I totally quit giving a gently caress every July when the weather turns Vietnam-esque. Maybe this fall and winter when it cools off I will get things in order.

Today I'm gonna sharpen my kitchen knives.

JEEVES420 posted:

Anyone got a good site for used tools besides craigslist or facebook (that I can't get into)? I have been watching CL for a month now for a tablesaw deal and its all 1500-2k powermatics and a dozen craftsman contractors.
What are you looking for? I've occasionally had good luck on eBay just looking at things within a 150 miles or so. Unisaws are usually the best price/good saw deal on used cabinet saws IMO.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

How do folks feel about rebooting some of the more humongous megathreads? Does anyone feel like they're less likely to join one based on the size?

Some mods are reporting success with rotating them with the seasons, like a mattress.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Or underwear

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Let's not go crazy, how about yearly like your AC filter.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yearly? You think air filters grow on trees?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm a dork and actually change mine every 3 months, but I am also a walking cloud of dust.

Jaded Burnout posted:

How do folks feel about rebooting some of the more humongous megathreads? Does anyone feel like they're less likely to join one based on the size?

Some mods are reporting success with rotating them with the seasons, like a mattress.
Some of the more discussion-ey "look at this awful thing from the internet" ones it probably wouldn't hurt, especially since all the links from 7 years ago are broken now anyway. Most of the hobby-centric ones have very good and useful OP's it would be a shame to lose.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Most of the hobby-centric ones have very good and useful OP's it would be a shame to lose.

Agreed, though they could almost always use a review, and while a mod can edit them, it'd be nice to have them maintainable by someone currently active.

No reason not to copy/paste them to the new thread if they're still accurate.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I think it'd be a shame to lose (archive) all the thread content. I've learned a lot by just picking random pages in the megathreads and reading from there.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm going to unsticky this thread now, and let it sink or swim on its own.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm going to unsticky this thread now, and let it sink or swim on its own.

I, for one, am perfectly willing to let this one sink.

We recently installed that paper flooring you see on pintertest and the like and so far it looks and wears great.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I, for one, am perfectly willing to let this one sink.

We recently installed that paper flooring you see on pintertest and the like and so far it looks and wears great.

Paper flooring? I don't do pinterest, so you might have to explain that one.

I'm building an overbuilt shelf for my hydroponics garden corner this week. Should be completely overbuilt, but has room for 5 totes and at least 3 1020 pans for microgreens and seed starting. There will be another shelf built sized just for the 1020 pans and seedlings that will go next to it. That one won't be entirely overbuilt. Just a little bit.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Woodcraft now sells Alumilite Resins :toot: I hate waiting on packages so a local supplier is great.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
So I recently took the plunge and bought a house. I'm not a fan of the tile so I'd like to remove it and replace with some kind of hardwood flooring. I've been looking at engineered hardwoods, and they seem like a good compromise between solid hardwood and laminate. Anyone have experience working with or installing this stuff? Its basically a vinyl plank but with a veneer of real wood on top.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There are a trillion options out there, what you go with will depend on your needs, aesthetic, and budget.

In general, the click together floating stuff is stupidly easy to install. Consider a flooring cutter if you're doing gonna DIY it and it's appropriate for your particular flooring selection. If you pay a pro to install it, though, it'll be done in what seems like no time at all. It's quick enough for the weekend warrior, but for the practiced hand, it's comically fast. For non-floating floors, it's still 100% DIY-able, but there may be more gotchas to be aware of. So if you are planning to go with a non-floating floor, do some reading so you're aware of the procedural changes and different requirements.

Always condition your flooring for a good long while before installing. Get it home and in the house, preferably in a space with the same environmental conditions as the install location (that is, don't stash it in your garage.) Open the packages, and let it acclimate for a while. How long exactly probably depends on the specifics of what you picked. If I were DIYing it, I'd get the stuff day one, and then start working on the rest of the project, so it at LEAST has a few days, hopefully more like a couple weeks. I don't move fast on projects, obviously.

Also, be mindful of your baseboard trim. You may need to remove it to get the tile out cleanly. If you do pop it off, grab one of these, they're great. If you decide to not remove it, you'll need to add a quarter round to cover the edge of your new flooring, which you may not like, which might take you back to popping off the trim. It can be re-installed if you're careful removing it. The aforementioned tool helps a lot in that regard, but you'll need to get the old nails out.

If you have any inclination to paint the walls, do it while the trim is off, it'll save you a ton of tedium. If you're scrapping the old floor, it doesn't matter if that's gone yet, just be sure to paint some time before you put the new floor in and reinstall the trim. Way easier to just roller down within a couple inches of the floor and be done, and not worry about edging and/or getting paint on your brand new floor. Fast and easy. Yes, it increases the scope and cost of your project, but it is inarguably the best time to get that job done if it's at all on the radar. Plus, new floor is a great time to coordinate the colors, since the only color persisting through the remodel will be the trim itself.

AAAAAND if you're painting and pulling trim, that's also the right time to do any in-wall work you may need to take care of. New outlets, running low voltage stuff for TV/phone/network, plumbing, etc. If your baseboard trim is tall enough, you can get away with almost no drywall repair work for wiring, at least, since you can make all your access holes behind the trim itself.

Yay, home ownership. Just keep pulling that thread, I'm sure it won't unravel the ENTIRE sweater...right?? :ohdear:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 10, 2019

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

JEEVES420 posted:

Woodcraft now sells Alumilite Resins :toot: I hate waiting on packages so a local supplier is great.

Have you considered making a resin post/thread? I’d be very interested in knowing more about it. It seems like a very versatile medium with a lot of potential applications for all sorts of hobbies and DIY stuff.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Thanks for the info Munki. The baseboards were hot garbage so they've already been removed and disposed of. My biggest question mark right now is underlayment. This will be going on my foundation slab (no basement). Is a foam underlayer necessary? Is it a nice to have? Should I be putting down a vapor barrier on the concrete first? I'm getting quotes now for getting the tile removed and considering doing the flooring install myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Super Waffle posted:

Thanks for the info Munki. The baseboards were hot garbage so they've already been removed and disposed of. My biggest question mark right now is underlayment. This will be going on my foundation slab (no basement). Is a foam underlayer necessary? Is it a nice to have? Should I be putting down a vapor barrier on the concrete first? I'm getting quotes now for getting the tile removed and considering doing the flooring install myself.

Most Engineered flooring or laminates will have the foam attached. The moisture barrier is a must to prevent moisture getting soaked up through the slab. Not hard to lay down and you can use painters tape to hold it in place while you work.