Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

little munchkin posted:

"For reasons completely unrelated to the failure of my rebranding attempt two days ago, I suddenly see the error of my past actions."

Yeah. But on the other hand I'm a little more willing to look past it than usual given that it's an actual apology and mea culpa, which is rare enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In fairness to wizards they have been doing a decent job of breaking out of that mold

e;fb

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
My buddies and I playtested Origins forward a few times just for shits and it's actually pretty good if you just ban Emrakul

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
So shimmer dragon is loving nutso for standard right

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Are BFZ/OGW the actual worst sets in modern? I think it's a case that could be made

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
I mean how could you not reminisce fondly of Murdergoats? Hell, how could you not reminisce fondly of this thread's love of Murdergoats, for that matter

Edit: if you think Adventure is gonna cause memory issues you're just searching for something to complain about. Although I will agree that it's very mildly annoying since the common shorthand for temporary exile is to put that card underneath the card that's temporarily exiling it which you can't do with these, but like... how often is that ever gonna come up, honestly, and is a second pile for Adventure Zone really that cumbersome?

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 5, 2019

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
That's a deep goddamn cut

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Edit: god drat that showcase Rider is dope

No Wave posted:

murderous rider is insane what the heck. isnt that just the best card in standard?

That's a little hyperbolic but it's probably the best removal spell

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
If the accidentally over-pushed card of the set is a removal spell, I'm fine with it. Have you seen the creatures they print these days?!

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
The thing to remember is that it's not actually this ruling that's the dumb one, it's the split card ruling that is bad

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Claim the Firstborn with Dreadhorde Arcanist is silly

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
What was the "official" ruleset for Emperor back in the day anyway? My friends and I just the other day got into a long debate and none of us could remember exactly

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

TheKingofSprings posted:

Teferi is going to be taken out back and shot one of these banlist updates so that’s not a problem for long

No way. There's plenty of reasonable ways to keep it in check. It'll be a pillar of the format but it's not ban-worthy

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

little munchkin posted:

you don't use vanilla extract to make gingerbread, 0/10

Ah, but to make ginger BRUTE?!

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Ahahahahahahaha

Over/under 2 hours for the apology tweet

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Just like all mechanics, food is primarily intended to be utilized in limited. There were all of two standard playable cards that used clues and arguably none that used treasure, unless I'm forgetting something

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Keeping your commander pods fair since 2019

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
What I don't understand is why artifacts and enchantments need to be more mechanically different than "some things effect one thing and not the other"

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
That guy probably meets the bar for a beater with no combat abilities to actually be good in standard right

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Lord of Green'nbig

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Y'all are crazy if you don't think that's a playable card. It's contextual certainly, there has to be a creature-heavy black midrange deck or something similar, but the power level is obviously there

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Just imagine playing the cauldron in a GB beatdown deck with cavalier of thorns. Or a deck with a handful of surveil effects. It's good.

Every card is contextual to its format and plenty of good cards never do anything in standard but that's definitely a Good Card

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Somebody make an open to edit spreadsheet on Google docs with the card names, let's make this a thing

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Sickening posted:

Lol, I was talking about standard. A deck that had to play powerhouses like Maximize Velocity just to get going. There is a reason it pre-ordered for 2.50 for so long.

It's okay man you can just take the L on this one lol I thought it was bad too, it's fine

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Spell lands have to be "boring" or they otherwise end up completely broken and absurd

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
The black land is so punishing. It's bonkers if you're hellbent but it's a pretty steep cost after that. I think the green one is deceptively good just as an Ancient Tomb for fatties. I mean, in the right deck it's a zero mana ramp spell right?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Sickening posted:

Is it really that punishing? You have how many cards in your hand on average when you have enough mana to activate it? Seems like paying 3 or less life to draw a card isn't really that far out of line for decks that can run the land.

Yeah it's certainly contextual. It's hard to evaluate because going up a card for no opportunity cost at all can be worth quite a bit, but on the other hand if I'm getting beat down by a million knight tribal and GB stompy decks every round it gets far less appealing

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Never expected mtg would have a vore themed set but here we are

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

uhhh

so about that whole "adventure payoffs are only gonna be good in limited" discussion from before

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Hmm, this is slow. I don't think my GB Adventure Knights is interested in this. I'll try it though, double downfall seems pretty strong.

Yeah it's probably not for every deck but imagine going turn two clover, turn three cast Seasonal Ritual adding GG, Heart's Desire creating two 1/1s, cast Lovestruck Beast. Seems pretty brutal. Or even just going turn three double rampant growth with Beanstalk Giant

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
That card is loving absurd in any deck that also contains Teferi Time Raveler

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
That faerie is a clear power-level mythic. It's straight busted and will be a format staple until it rotates. Also utterly stupid in draft

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Lone Goat posted:

Riftwing Cloudskate was uncommon and this comparative to that.

I guess Dream Eater is the next closest at mythic but it's a much better blocker.

This card is so, so much better than Cloudskate, it's not even close.

This strikes me as possibly the best card spoiled so far for standard and an easy modern playable. As always, contextual, etc etc but this card is obscene

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
I mean I'm not gonna go to the mat over speculative card evaluation but it's a pretty clear format staple imo and calling that a hysterical take is kinda silly

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Yeah Improbable Alliance will almost certainly be my first new-season standard brew

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Well that's loving stupid. At ~$20 they probably would've been a fine deal

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

flatluigi posted:

in the announcement post they said 20-25 a pack so I guess we'll see when they're actually out

Yeah the problem is that magic players have more money than fuckin sense and there's gonna be a lot of dollars chasing these around. Whales are, in fact, gonna whale

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Wow that is some weird and bad art

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Yeah it's the pumpkin car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

AnEdgelord posted:

Alright the arena decklists podcast has convinced me, Cauldron of Eternity is good as hell

I'm gonna make this my anti-thread-consensus called shot. When the Cauldron appears in a top 3 standard deck list I'm gonna come back and quote this and feel so smart :smug: