Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
You guys being against fetches will never stop being funny. They aren't ever going away. They sell too many packs. Deal with it. :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Hellsau posted:

well they don't sell many packs when they don't bother putting the loving things in packs

We are due a printing for sure, but the last set wasn't technically that long ago. I am sure an exec somewhere is looking for the next big paper cash register and printing fetches is always that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Can you try posting without being a big ol’ fuckwad about it every once in a while?

How many sets have Shocks been in at this point? Is it 8?

As long as you are a big ol' whiny poo poo about it you might as well deal with that too.

3 for shocks vs 2 for fetches. The big difference is that WOTC chose to juice us with a masters set printing instead of standard.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 31, 2019

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

moush posted:

Seeing as how Historic will never have fetches and WotC is going to push it as the next big format, I'm not sure what the argument for fetches is.

Did they say never or is this some weird guess? Arena is the easiest place to do fetch lands mechanically. It’s fast as hell.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

C-Euro posted:

They're easy to do on Arena but people will still raise complaints about how much shuffling they create in paper. They have to be tolerable on both platforms.

Honestly I think the biggest roadblock right now for fetches in Standard is that people still remember BFZ Standard and the 4c piles that fetches + typed duals allowed for. We won't get that combination in Standard for a long time if ever, so at the very least we'll have to wait until the shocklands are out of Standard again.

M20 has more cards with shuffling than khans. War of the spark does as well. Shuffling in paper isn’t going away. Just make a format where every deck doesn’t want to include 8 fetches and everyone wins.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sampatrick posted:

Whirza winning makes me so happy. Deck is sick af.

Buying Urza, Lord High Artificer is def not sick af.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I legit didn't know Tome Scour existed. I doubt this will actually end up lasting but its at least hilarious atm.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

rkajdi posted:

Discard 5 is pretty strong as a starting move for dredge. You are only looking for a dredger or two in the graveyard before it's off to the races, so this might do it.

I just find it funny because so many people raged against graveyard decks to the point where the best graveyard card for banned, and now a graveyard deck wins something right afterwards.

When the card whiffs, its just a much worse card than looting. It also just does nothing against rip/leyline where loot at least let you search for answers. Its a solution I didn't know existed and its funny at least. It makes the deck even more glass cannon than it was before which is probably a lot more balanced.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Huxley posted:

That card is very ugly.

The artwork is great, the frame is really nice.

That version of split is horrendous.

The artwork and the frame is great, but the card is ugly? :what:

I like everything about this design.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

That is loving spicy at uncommon.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

So instead of ETB spells slapped onto all the creatures we get spells with creatures slapped on to them? WeIrD.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I can't wait for comp rel "oops" where these turn into Eternal Scourge's.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Yuck. Edh garbo?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

It seems very playable in an aggressive knight tribal deck provided such a thing exists. Kinda sad we dont get to play this with the BW knights and History of Benalia from dominaria.

Lets say it just costs WW and didn't have the knight discount. Considering you can only have one in play would it even be broken? I feel like that is a no unless the legendary knights in standard were amazing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Knight Exemplar, most likely.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1176462#paper

Student of Warfare as well.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ummm what?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

fadam posted:

I get that there are different strokes for different folks, and I understand that Magic is a game that appeals to a broad spectrum of interests, but I will never understand why people like singleton lmfao. What is the appeal of Magic with the worst part (variance) cranked up? I guess I've only played it during arena events, so maybe its a lot better with a tuned deck.

There is a certain allure to only needing 1 of a card. Feels more collectible that way.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Someone please help me I have a friend who is convinced Rankle is going to revitalize Faeries in modern and that we should buy Bitterblossoms before it's too late.

I would rather cast mistbind clique than rankle. His art is super loving cool though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cactrot posted:

I can't decide if this is great or awful in Infect, it's probably bad but nice that it can potentially get all of your infectors.

Same with bogles. Like, having your turn one play is so crucial, but is it worth having a nearly dead card in your hand in multiples? Can't wait to play it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

It also makes the dumb rider deck more consistent if that matter.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

It can't be somehow more efficient in tron. Right? RIGHT?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sampatrick posted:

There are like 8 creatures in Tron. Cycling stars has got to be way better.

"OR LAND"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Elyv posted:

This is very good

Holy gently caress.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

At worst you just sacrifice your own doom foretold. Unless your opponent responds to the trigger. I like this card even though it might not ever see play outside the modern enchantment deck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

rkajdi posted:

Is that meaningful tribal hate for modern too? It might be okay, but I’m not sure if it h ate out and plague engineer.

There might be decks where one plague engineer and 1 witch's vengeance is better than two plague engineers. Its a nice card to exist even if its not immediately necessary.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Vaah posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion mono black is going to be very very good come Return to Theros. I can only imagine the tears if they don't reprint Gary though.

With the way they have done return sets you aren't going to see any reprints. Just worse call backs. Gary isn't coming back.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Plenty of great artists out there that haven't gotten a shot to put their art on magic cards that I could give a poo poo if Rebecca Guay gets another magic card.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

fadam posted:

What’s the best combination of sleeves to disguise Chinese counterfeits from inquisitive opponents??

Kmc premium sleeves by whatever name they are these days. The kind with the textured fronts.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I feel like haggle is unique at 1 cmc right?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

A Moose posted:

oh cool its an enchantment that red can destroy

https://twitter.com/maro254/status/1172199904401227776

Can someone help me understand what the "flavor" of this card is exactly?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Typed lands are cool and good.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

that giant looks so happy

Both of these cards could be really good depending on how things shake out. Power level seems great here on both cards.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Vaah posted:

All this storybook variant art is so RAD god

Lets see how the premium pack business shakes out. I feel like cards like this are better suited to take the slot of foils, but its nice to know they are embracing some of the easiest ways drive demand.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Kurieg posted:

They're also walking back new historic cards, Or at least reconsidering them.

They better not. That was actually a great idea. The only reason to reconsider them is to save modo and that shouldn't happen.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

1600 euro seems like a stretch. Tempest is a cool set but you’ll never open close to that much money from it

Old sealed product always sells for more than its EV.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rinkles posted:

New modern all star?

This one is going to need a lot of playtesting. If it can counter things consistently then the card can be good. It also runs into the issue of not having a lot of decks that can play it though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

resistentialism posted:

What would modern look like if there was suddenly intense pressure to not play fetches?

Tron, humans, and artifact decks would become stronger.

People have complained about blood moon not being a magic card that exists despite the fact it punish greedy manabases. Still would like to see some cards to specifically hate on "searching for land".

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 16, 2019

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Went to my store's Modern MCQ yesterday to check it out and chill with some players I rarely see because I don't judge competitive events anymore. The format looked fun and diverse, so knowing I had all the Eldrazi and Tron lands, went home to see what I'd need to finish off the deck. Mostly a bunch of $10 cards... oh, and almost $300 for a playset of Chalice of the Void. How did that card get so out of hand?

1: Artifact
2: Played as a 4x
3: Reprinted at Mythic
4: Multiformat staple

Pretty much everything needed to make it expensive. Its even a heavily counterfeited card.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I’m not as convinced. Without mill to enable it, it doesn’t counter anything on curve. It’s probably fine against faster decks that try to double spell early but might be quite bad against the midrange decks with powerful 4 and 5s. Which would make it almost the inverse of the 3 mana counters.

I don't think the card is going to be especially good in standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Man, if rally the throne was 2 cmc that card would be lit as gently caress.