Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Huxley posted:

So do I go sink wildcards today into the checklands I don't have, or do I commit myself to not playing the format?

This sure is a decision point that gets me excited about Historic!

They don't want you to play Historic. But they also don't really want to say outright "Don't play Historic, idiots", so this is what you get instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Jabor posted:

The "M" is still exactly where you'd expect it to be if it read "356/XXX", so I think it's that they're not wanting to spoil what the actual number is yet.

The XXX is 269, it's on the other cards. They've said before that there won't be a /XXX on cards that aren't part of regular booster packs.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Kurieg posted:

It could be art someone made for the fake. the second +1 is very out of flavor for Izzet and the templating on the Ultimate isn't right.

One +1 is blue, the other is red.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Cynic Jester posted:

Oko the Financier!

It's trickster

No wonder he was spoiled in Forbes

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

I finished reading the Eldraine novel

Oko wants to get the elves to kill the high king (Will and Rowan's dad) to start a war between the elves and humans, binds Garruk with a spell to get him to do what he wants
Will saves Garruk from drowning, then Garruk gets his curse lifted by some ancient elvish cauldron
Oko kills the king who he'd turned into a stag, then planeswalks away before he can get caught
The king gets revived thanks to some bullshit involving a sword
Will and Rowan spark after they learn that their mom was a witch who'd put their dad under a spell
Garruk wants to go after Oko, but decides to first go make sure Will and Rowan are safe

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Elyv posted:

How is the writing? Did you enjoy it?

It's pretty generic and a few sentences are clunkers but overall it's fine I guess. Don't think it would be very interesting if not for the Magic setting.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

GoutPatrol posted:

Getting Omar Rayyan was a good choice, nobody does "squiggly tree thing" like them. Now where the gently caress is Guay. I will accept saving her for last if she did all the basics in this set.

The lands are already in Arena, and no.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

axeil posted:

Is the woman there Will and Rowan's mom or step-mom? I thought the step-mom was evil. Also it looks like they have 2 other siblings (or half-siblings) we haven't seen yet.

Their birth mom was a witch and was killed by the step-mom. The step-mom (Linden) is good. Their half-siblings are called Hazel (12) and Erec (4?).

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Is that Hakurei Reimu

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Hellsau posted:

Did she ever answer the question? I really want to know who smiles at death.

We’ll find out after Nissa tells us who shakes the world.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Lol just found out Ross Merriam is a full on tankie, how did I not find this out before

I take it sucking China's cock isn't ironic and he is genuinely just awful.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Can we not

I really should have said nothing, but I live in Hong Kong and reading that dumbfuck's retweets made my blood boil.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

If you think about it, there's no government in the world more oppressive than Field of the Dead.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

axeil posted:

I dunno who Greg Weisman is, is he any good? I picked up the Eldraine novel because it was only $4 and was pretty well-reviewed and I'm generally surprised that I'm liking it. It reads pretty simplistically but it's solid. Makes me like Rowan a lot more.

He wrote the War of the Spark novel and everyone agrees that novel was trash.

Edit: Greg pls don't kill Kaya

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Tubgoat posted:

Does it matter what it is? Take it and be grateful!

Of course it matters. Drafting or encountering the same decks over and over again makes the format rapidly become unfun.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

ptroll posted:

I can't stand how long the dumb animation on questing beast is. It covers the entire card and most of the screen, so you can't tell if it's actually attacking at first or not.

it's always attacking

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Does Arena "blow up" often enough for it to be a real concern?

Very much yes.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

That guy is actually not wrong. The Taiwanese government itself also has problems with using the name "Taiwan", since their official name is Republic of China, and still claims to be the real China, and the name wouldn't represent the areas that are under Taiwanese authority but aren't in Taiwan itself.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

little munchkin posted:

"the government agreed to do x, therefore x is correct and not something controversial" is a loving wild take lmao

Didn't say it's correct, it still sucks. The players are right to hate it.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Jabor posted:

That's not how Doom Foretold works.

Really not sure how they could play that deck and not figure that out

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Elks can't unionise.

Well not with that attitude they can’t.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Karsten did in fact make that joke immediately during the broadcast.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

They have autumn as the featured match and they're playing the trans rights lands.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

This story is embarrassing. Somehow even Kojima might be able to write a better story

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

Still LOLing that they let some Mormon psycho come in and with a sub-fanfiction quality novel (and it's not like these things are fukkin' Proust in the first place) kick over the sandcastle they spent years building up to with "LOL J/K Chandra likes big throbbing cocks ONLY."

Greg Weisman isn't Mormon. Brandon Sanderson is.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

PJOmega posted:

Lynden is awful, Syr Alin is probably the second best Limited Syr in a vacuum but hamstrung by being white. Circle of Loyalty one of only two P1P1s that I'd happily take in white (the other is realm-cloaked giant).

White is actually good in ELD limited though.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Cynic Jester posted:

I want a telenovela drama about Javier and Beatriz and the Mythic Championship.

Can their love stand up to an attack for lethal with the championship on the line?! Will Brian "Brian Kibler" Kibler make the right call? Tune in next week.

In this relationship it's all about the man saying no to the woman

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Honestly my experience with Carah jives with PJOmega, most of the Carahs I've seen played either get immediately removed, end up on chump blocking duty, or doesn't need to do anything because the game is already over. Deathsie gives her a B which sounds about right.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Reminder that Arena has voice clips for a planeswalker who is a disciple of Klothys.

http://mtglore.com/unknown-nyxborn-planeswalker/

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

InterrupterJones posted:

Look on the bright side. You made someone very pleased with their P3p2.

Bots don’t have emotions

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

It wasn't always the case that the current block ranked draft was available for the whole set period. It could be possible that they are ditching the two simultaneous ranked drafts format and returning to rotating just one at a time. Stupid but possible.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Questing Beast is a character in the Eldraine novel that sends Kenrith and Linden on their quests to become ruler. Sheesh.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's based on the Arthurian myth where the Questing Beast sends Arthur to seek the Holy Grail.

The point is that there is an in-universe explanation for who it is and you don't need to be an Arthurian nerd to understand.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Toffel wasn't even hate drafting when he took that Trawler anyway. You want hate drafting, go watch Yuta Takahashi's draft from day 2 of PT Nagoya, the casters were struggling to explain what was going on.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

who could go in that? Alesha, that gay Theros couple whose names I forget, and uhhh maybe Ashiok?

Kaya

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Elyv posted:

Vivien is the absolute worst for this, if someone told me that the art description for every Vivien piece was cut and pasted I would not be surprised.

Don't be mean to Vivien, Bolas superglued her fingers to her arrow as a prank.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

...the kind of suspense people are now in, waiting for an announcement of an announcement? He came so close to realizing why the new B&R system sucks.

New system: We've decided that something's going to be banned, and we'll tell you in a week.

Old system: We'll have set times for ban announcements, but you won't have any idea if something's actually going to be banned.

You think the new system is worse than the old one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

Sweet so there's a big walled city of Drannith and the hot air balloon city of Skysail. Ikoria is Vivien's home plane right?

Vivien's home plane got destroyed by Bolas.