Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What did Ross just do on stream? Everyone is lolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Magic Underwear posted:

When do they reveal the good cards? This is vastly worse than unbreakable formation.

Garruk looks cool but six mana walkers have to be insane, even new Chandra (which I thought was ridiculous) doesn't see that much play.

Also there's enough there already for a good knights deck.

Most everything else seems too safe and/or not snowbally enough to be constructed playable.

It's not even the end of the first day of spoilers lmfao

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Adventure isn’t an issue and the guy defending it probably doesn’t think it’s a problem anymore either but literally nobody on earth will stop defending anything after getting flamed about it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I get that there are different strokes for different folks, and I understand that Magic is a game that appeals to a broad spectrum of interests, but I will never understand why people like singleton lmfao. What is the appeal of Magic with the worst part (variance) cranked up? I guess I've only played it during arena events, so maybe its a lot better with a tuned deck.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I understand people like different things but I will never understand why people like a different thing

that's right

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How frequently do chalices and voids appear in traditional fairy tales?

uggy posted:

God those names all suck, it’s the normal sit around making puns poo poo like har har look at how loving smart we are, we came up with names literally anybody could with the task “name a female gingerbread person” also maybe toss a got name in there

It’s like when Chicago had an alligator in a pond recently and the names were mostly just Chicago gator pun names

Lmfao

fadam fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 6, 2019

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

Speaking of Gynger, my Cat Draft on September 14th is with Core Set 2020 - if I'd known how fun Throne of Eldraine looked, I would've waited! But Core Sets are better for the casual players who turn out for these. September 14th at 3 PM at Brothers Grim in Selden, NY, and all the proceeds go to the cat adoption center I've been volunteering at for almost a decade. The cats at the Long Island Feline Adoption Center are full-time residents until they get adopted, with their own couches, scratching posts, and even television.

Even though it's not an Eldraine draft, I still wanted to give out a token, so I whipped this up today (pending some better pun-ery in the flavor text. Oh! I just got that. Flavor text.) :

Hell yea

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

My research completely missed Hypothesizzle.

gently caress.

The WAR examples wouldn't need to because they don't target anything.

Goddamn.

I still think it looks stupid but this company did change how colorless mana worked in the middle of a block once so looking stupid doesn't mean much.

Lol are you okay?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I love Once Upon a Time. I would have figured a Fairy Godmother would be more pwnage than a 1/1 flyer.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

My dream is that one of these goofy cards gets pushed as hell and ends up being a multi-format staple. Imagine if the names/art for Bake Into a Pie and Assassin’s Trophy flipped.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Elyv posted:

This is very good

God bless this is an instant

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What’s the deal with the templating on Joust, I can’t double check right now but it’s different than normal fight cards, right?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Still really wish this worked with tokens. Bitterblossom + this would be amazing.

Why is it worse? -3/-3 seems like it would wipe tribal decks, and most would have decent difficulty rebuilding.

It’s not necessarily worse, it’s just different. PE is cool because you can just plop it down whenever and get value from it, this card is more punishing but can be situationally less effective. The guy earlier in the thread who said that some decks will likely want one copy of both instead of two of either is right, I think.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

That merfolk has my spidey senses tingling. I bet it goes places.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What’s the best combination of sleeves to disguise Chinese counterfeits from inquisitive opponents??

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

drat that’s a good idea. Make it so blatantly obvious nobody ever checks...like that episode of Wishbone where the letter was hidden in plain sight.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sickening posted:

Kmc premium sleeves by whatever name they are these days. The kind with the textured fronts.

God bless

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

hosed up they haven’t spoiled Chalice of The a kid yet. Knights drink out of Chalices all the time.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

jassi007 posted:

There are some decent things out there. Brandon Sanderson is a decent author who isn't a weirdo about women and treats writing as a job, not a hobby.

He’s a Mormon lol

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Silhouette posted:

Humans and Spirits may want that in the side, too

Ya, I think so. Sucks that it’s not attached to a human creature, but the new mana base makes it less of a tough sell.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I’m tired of using my Ultrapro bald Teferi playmat like a normie, where can I get a sick playmat to fool people into thinking I have a personality?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

"Likely" nothing, worthy knight and inspiring veteran are incredible, vernerable knight and freverent champion are hella 1 drops, nice 3 drops like murderous rider, skyknight legionnaire, and belle of the brawl, and utility plays like embreth shieldbreaker and wintermoor cavalier.

And if God allows you to splash green, knight of autumn.

Edit it.

Pompadour Teferi.

That cup definitely looks like it could be of the void. Waste of art imo.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

JerryLee posted:

commission custom art of Teferi making out with a younger version of himself

How do people find artists to do custom art for playmats and poo poo? I might thrown some paper down to get something funny.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

for all the boomers out there: what did your LGS carry before MtG struck big? Like what game had people coming out to hang out and play before magic? Just DND?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Tubgoat posted:

Okay, so use of the word "literal" was inappropriate here because, as much as I complain about impenetrable walls of flying countermagic, they have mercifully not gotten the bright idea to play Mana Tithe and Force Spike is not modern legal, thank loving god.

I don’t get when people get really mad and adamant about defending points that are easily disproven. You can look at the results of hundreds of tournaments right now and see that Spirits is t a particularly problematic deck.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ultima66 posted:

I think outside of Brainstorm (so literally only Legacy) Irencrag Pyromancer is very close to 2R 0/4 with T: deal 3 to any target. Is that busted? Not really, but it's a very good value card. That said it's not really the kind of card control decks or aggro decks really want, so it's hard to say if it'll fit into anything.

And I can't imagine a card with that text is modern playable.

Wouldn’t that card be nuts?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

All of those are substantially worse than a 2R 0/4 that taps to bolt any target.

Think about how many times you have to level up that shaman to get a worse version of that effect.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah I don’t know how you can post five examples of more expensive cards that have a shittier version of the effect and not change your mind.

2R tap to draw a lightning bolt every turn on a bolt-proof body would see play in a lot of decks I think. That’s obviously not what the spoiled card is, but that is the card you came up with in your example.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

If I gave you an over/under of 50 for the number of times the word Teferi shows up in No Wave’s last 100 posts, which would you pick?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

"How can it equal one? If one times one equals one that means that two is of no value because one times itself has no effect. One times one equals two because the square root of four is two, so what's the square root of two? Should be one, but we're told it's two, and that cannot be."

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Putting a bunch of Dame cards in would have slayed back in 2004.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

You guys remember in the 90's how the comic book bubble was bursting and they tried throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the problem in terms of gimmicks? Die cut covers, holofoil covers, variant covers, mylar bag pack ins?

Definitely need to get around to divesting from paper magic except for a couple commander decks.

Not to sound like a Magic thread poster but lmao come on it takes like two seconds of thinking about this to realize that’s a stupid comparison

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What makes AA busted?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Between people getting mad about not being able to play for free and how increasingly bitchy the comments Mark Rosewater gets on his Tumblr are getting:

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/187967538293/the-br-podcast-series-was-kind-of-interesting
https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/187987759718/its-confusing-that-syr-carah-the-bold-allows-you'

I'm beginning to think that a significant portion of the people who play this game are insane

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

have you heard about this magical place called r/freemagic

You know: I've heard it mentioned in passing when people talk poo poo about it in this thread, so I always sort of had a picture of what it was in my head even though I've never been to it. I just checked it out and wow, wild stuff.

EDIT: yeah these people are insane too. It's crazy to say, but the small congregation of angry adult men in this board who get mad at each other about card evaluation might be the only truly not-psychotic online magic message board.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 27, 2019

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

what does this mean, literally what is the message

It's in a thread titled "Remember when Jace used to be badass?" When Jace was a Brainstorm on a stick he was a chad, when he's a laboratory maniac, he's a chair.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

One, no, two, I'm still confused because Wielder of Mysteries and Arcane Strategist still have him standing domineeringly with wibbly blue magic emerging from his hands so I'm not sure what about him is unto a chair.

Sorry maybe I misposted, to be clear I didn't take this from r/wellbalancedpeoplewithgoodopinions

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Torchlighter posted:

They're also chuds, so you can probably imagine how they feel about jaces recent story arcs, where he was a character that struggled and needed help from people.

Seriously, when dominaria came out, they had a thread of hundreds of replies about exactly one card, can you guess which one?
Hallar, the Firefletcher

I have an incredibly easy existence and I still feel like I lack the mental bandwidth to worry about most things immediately outside my sphere of influence. I cannot imagine the mind of someone who get mad about how masculine the art on a piece of draft chaft is.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

just make Dance of the Manse it's nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Doom Foretold is this set's Krasis/Reef for me where the delta between how good I thought the card was going to be and how good it ended up being is gigantic. What an obnoxious card/deck to play against lol.

It's too bad Flaxen Intruder has to sac to get the effect, but it would probably be too strong if it was just a 1-mana Trygon Predator. I'd love to play with Goldilocks tho.