Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Is it worth trying to unload my playset of Bazaar of Baghdad now, since Dredge is effectively dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Lol yes the deck that didn't even play Misstep 2 years ago is dead because some of its dredges will be minus one now.

It didn't? Because I sure remember playing at Eternal Weekend 2017 with Misstep, after seeing it start getting played in like April/May of that year.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

What un-cards would you like to see reprinted ?

We need a foil version of Timmy, Power Gamer for my cube.

Also a Vorthos card. White maybe?

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Not sure who our Philly/SE PA/South Jersey goons are ITT, but if you want to meet Jon Finkel, Chris Pikula, and Lan D. Ho you can do so this Saturday for the low price of $20.

How'd they manage to schedule this the weekend AFTER an SCG Open was in town?

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

ilmucche posted:

If hogaak is cast from the graveyard and countered does it go to the top of the graveyard or does it stay in the same place?

It goes to the top of the graveyard. When you cast it it moves to the stack, then goes back to the graveyard when countered.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

axeil posted:

hm, good point.

i just wonder if wotc can continue kicking the reserved list can down the road. i feel like they're going to have to amend or get rid of it. i doubt the price of ABUR power 9 or OG duals will change that much, especially if they commission new art.

I'd love to play Vintage or Legacy but the entry price is completely insane so I'm indefinitely sticking with EDH, Standard and Draft. I guess if Pioneer takes off I might consider giving it a try as most of my collection is in that time frame.

Nothing's happening to the reserved list. They have basically ignored Vintage and Legacy for years, and will continue to do so. There is no easy way to remove/amend the reserved list, and there certainly isn't any financial incentive for them to try.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

I don't get this narrative that WotC isn't printing expensive Modern cards. They've been doing it for six years. They reprinted the Zendikar fetches two years ago. They've reprinted Goyf every year since 2013. Ultimate Masters was a big step in the right direction, finally making cards like Gaddock Teeg and Fulminator Mage reasonably priced.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

JerryLee posted:

this is a photoshop, right?

right?

E: this is like the part of Christmas Vacation where Clark finds out his bonus is a membership in a jelly of the month club, and if there were justice in the world, it would end pretty much the same way as that did

It's Cary, so it's probably a photoshop.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Star Man posted:

It's on Monday, actually.

That's only Pioneer.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

little munchkin posted:

personally i think its good that hoogland is willing to speak truth to power. that said it's a shame about literally every other aspect of his personality

dude was right to complain about bo1 and y'all know it

His complaints about bo1 aren't why he doesn't get invited to these things.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Reid Duke: Actual Garbage Person
https://twitter.com/ReidDuke/status/1197647706916872197?s=19

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Reid Duke, who stayed silent when it came out his best buddy was a sexual predator.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ok, so what in your mind should he have done?

At bare minimum he could have chosen not to thank a known sexual predator in his hall of fame acceptance speech?

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

He’s pretty obviously saying “you can be a force for good in the community by choosing to highlight positive things instead of negative things” and he’s getting torrentially dragged by basically every Twitter magic personality and being accused of supporting sexual predators and enabling them and it’s seriously loving insane.

He literally supported a sexual predator by thanking Owen in his hall of fame speech.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

PJOmega posted:

On LGS and costs, I thought stores were contractually obligated to sell Warhammer (and GWorkshop in general) at MSRP.

They can advertise selling for no more than 15% under MSRP online, they can sell for any amount of discount if they don't advertise it.

Source: I work for a company that has retail stores.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

No more GP byes starting on May 25th. The grinder tears have been pretty high quality already.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Sickening posted:

WOTC is really trying to push out the grinders. I both love it and hate it.

Grinders were getting free wins because they played a lot. The fractional PT invite system rewards being good at the game instead. The number of "I don't want to play against randoms" posts I've already seen online makes me glad byes are going away.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Wezlar posted:

No because when you +1 it you create the beeble and then the loyalty and number of beebles is the same, so you don't need to add another loyalty.

But if the number of beebles > loyalty that means you need to add another loyalty, which means you need to create another beeble, etc.

No, if adding the loyalty makes the numbers even, you don't make another one.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Wezlar posted:

Intuitively that is how the card works but the reminder text literally says create beebles whenever it gains loyalty

edit: I'm sure I'm wrong I just think the reminder text should have additional text that says if they aren't equal you create or sacrifice or something to that effect.

It's reminder text, not ability text. It's letting you know that when the loyalty number changes your number of beebles is required to change as well.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

If you think Wizards made that Premium requirements list for any reason other than disqualifying stores they don't like, you're crazy.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

The 100€ boxes (the ones the vendors can order for 60€ from their distributors) I referred to were the "regular" edition, with the foil instead of a playtest card. Those will be released at the end of March, but you can already pre-order them on MCM and other websites in Europe for the same price as a Standard booster box. Considering the insane amount of (current) value in the set, expect all of these cards to drop quite a lot.

I think if American LGSs go ahead and try to sell them at premium price, they will just get demolished by amazon and other online retailers.

Preorder prices are irrelevant until they post the list of foils. Most LGSs' "premium price" is the online price for boosters.

Fun fact about Convention Edition: They have to open up a bunch of boxes and mix them together before drafts, because all the playtest cards are the same color inside of one box.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Sickening posted:

On one hand, giving out a dq there seems weak as gently caress.

How so? The head judge investigated the way he rolled dice, managing to find three of his previous opponents for verification. Head judges don't take DQs lightly, and they probably also talked to SCG staff before doing this.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Balon posted:

Has anyone done a CFB Command Zone at a MF? Are there open areas or do you need to purchase a pass to play commander (pick up games, I'm aware you need to buy in to events)

The Command Zone itself requires a pass. However, there are always pick up games going on at the regular empty tables, if there are any (MF New Jersey, I'm looking at you.).

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Balon posted:

Thanks, I have a friend coming with me to MF Toronto and he's not sticking around for the whole Saturday. I guess with the Sol Ring the pass is still decent value.

You also don't actually have to use the event vouchers. You can trade them in at the prize wall directly for prize tickets.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

ilmucche posted:

and the judge can't take previous history into account.

This is untrue. Judges can and do take past behavior into account when making rulings involving player behavior.

Also, it shouldn't have been your job to prove he was lying. The judge should've talked to each of you away from the other and figured out what game you were on.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

an_mutt posted:

yeah I know that's the case, but I'd at least like to add more toys to specific archetypes such as reanimator

Then add more reanimator cards to the appropriate colors. The good draft matters cards are already gaining the drafter notable advantages: Making them also playable of their own is problematic at best. Also, adding errata to cards is dumb.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Sickening posted:

It’s kind of combo hell right now.

Except not actually.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

ShaneB posted:

At the very highest levels of tournament play. At the LGS or even on MTGO it's by far the best format.

Not even at the highest levels. Bant Spirits, Mono-Black Aggro and Sultai Delirium are all able to meaningfully interact with Inverter, and the Lotus Breach deck isn't actually good.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

ShaneB posted:

Breach is already dead until people stop packing 2-3 spheres. As is mono black IMO, people just keep playing a deck with like a 48% WR because it has thoughtseize and a history.

Mono-Black just put two people in the top 8 of the Pioneer Classic last weekend?

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

The Human Crouton posted:

Is this set purposely unfriendly to paper?

Wizards is purposely unfriendly to paper now. Companions all require information your opponents can't verify.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

The Human Crouton posted:

Once that goes away, we have a Hearthstone on our hands.

That seems like Wizard's endgame here. Printing cards is cheap, not printing cards is cheaper.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Legendary Creature - Helion Horror
Companion - Each nonland card in your starting deck must have an odd converted mana cost.

Whenever a source you control with an odd converted mana cost deals any damage, double that damage instead.

Give us a Hearthstone card sleeve in Arena, Wizards.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

I mean, a high enough percentage of CFB are creeps anyway. :shrug:

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

neaden posted:

I think this is an issue with RIP effects, but no clue why the ban is only in legacy.

And now it's banned in all formats.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Entropic posted:

if all you have to do to cheat is "cast a card that is legal in the format", anything that happens from people taking advantage of it is 100% on Wizards and their lovely code IMO.

The first time it happens, maybe. But when you see that happens, continuing to use that card to cheat is absolutely on the person doing it as well.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Entropic posted:

lol

https://twitter.com/MagicOnline/status/1263867182997311489?s=20

I really hope someone leaks MTGO source code some day, I want so badly to see how poo poo like this even happens.

e: any bets on how long it takes them to actually deliver a fix or if they just kinda forget about it and the card stays banned?

They desperately want to keep Commander players happy, so they'll fix it if they can.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

They have literally no idea when they will be able to have physical PTs again, or if for that matter. For all we know large congregations of people wont be safe for years.

Someone at Hasbro is salivating over the potential to never have a paper pro event ever again.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Paper pro events are essentially dead at this point. By the time they can even be done again Hasbro will have figured out just how much money they are saving by doing them on Arena.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Paper Cards, and by extension paper Magic, won't go away, but paper OP probably will, because it sucks to run and is too expensive, and it sucks to participate in and is too expensive

WotC will stop being involved in paper OP, but it won't go away entirely. I don't see SCG just deciding to stop running their tour, and CFB will inevitably run some type of tournaments once WotC sticks the fork into paper GPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

I really want to know how they come up with these numbers.

The answer is probably just data from Wizards Event Reporter vs. individual sales data from premier stores.