Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Reading the planeswalkers’ guide honestly got me kind of annoyed with Vivien, because she spends a lot of time being judgmental of Ikoria’s humans for not living in harmony with the giant unpredictable monsters that frequently try to kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
vivien's entire thing is preferring monsters over humans so I don't know why she'd change now

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

flatluigi posted:

vivien's entire thing is preferring monsters over humans so I don't know why she'd change now

Oh, it’s definitely in-character for her, don’t get me wrong.

Doesn’t stop me from thinking “Come on, Vivien, give the poor bastards who are stuck here a break”.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Reading the planeswalkers’ guide honestly got me kind of annoyed with Vivien, because she spends a lot of time being judgmental of Ikoria’s humans for not living in harmony with the giant unpredictable monsters that frequently try to kill them.

i got real annoyed when she kept using exclamation points

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I really like the vibe of this plane but every time I think about the setting I go 'boy I can't wait until the next set we get on this plane so we can see the giant mechs the humans are building to combat the monsters'

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

flatluigi posted:

I really like the vibe of this plane but every time I think about the setting I go 'boy I can't wait until the next set we get on this plane so we can see the giant mechs the humans are building to combat the monsters'

We're gonna return to Ikoria with gearhulks.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

PJOmega posted:

Or awful, since the set's core mechanic is putting multiple eggs in one basket.

On the flip side, it's cool that so many cards have multiple ways to play them (cycle vs cast / mutate vs cast). There will be lots of choices to be made during the game and deckbuilding. I like that in theros auras were good and viable, and I'm guessing mutate will be viable but not always the right choice.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm really struggling to understand this set. A lot of these creatures don't seem like great value for the mana costs and a lot of these mutate costs are kinda high and all the big huge creatures have enormous mana costs. I also have yet to see any basic creatures that you would want to use as a base for mutating. Cards from previous sets I guess?

I guess it comes from being a mostly aggro player but I think I only saw 1 aggro card so far. I'm certainly not expecting a full set of 4cmc or less aggro creatures but overall this set just seems really slow. Am I missing something or should I wait to see more of the set?
You should wait to see more cards, the early spoilers are heavily biased towards big dumb mythics. Although we have seen some 'base' creatures like the snake that gives -2/-2 when it mutates.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We’ve already seen 4-5 extremely aggressively costed 2 drops as well.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tainen posted:

Here is another one from the cycle

The color identity of this is Mardu, right? Not W?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The Clowner posted:

The color identity of this is Mardu, right? Not W?

Correct you could only play this in Mardu Commander decks, but I do believe those restrictions do not apply to Brawl, but I’m not sure.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Bust Rodd posted:

Correct you could only play this in Mardu Commander decks, but I do believe those restrictions do not apply to Brawl, but I’m not sure.

color identity rules are the same in commander and brawl

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Tainen posted:

hey its cancel with the set mechanic

buh roken

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I think an argument could be made that if there's a top teir draw-go style hard control deck, between this and printing Literally Counterspell into standard this might be more powerful. Being able to hold it up and then flush it away at will is gonna end up way stronger than just any old "cancel with upside."

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Y'know how Archmage's Charm is a broken Magic card? This is a slightly worse version of that.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

breach the barrier

instant

exile up to three target enchantments

cycling 2

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Costs 3, can't be any higher than... format staple counterspell, it and Mystical Dispute are gonna be the big boys, with Negate on the side because you still need to threaten at 2.

It ain't Miscalculation, but it has a lot more presence than Censor did.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
wtf why are they printing so many absurd enchantress hate cards. the deck isn't even good; you already printed cycling naturalize.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

breach the barrier

instant

exile up to three target enchantments

cycling 2

drat.

This goes in every green/x/x commander deck. This is also incredibly strong sideboard material right after an indestructible god-enchantment block.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Sampatrick posted:

wtf why are they printing so many absurd enchantress hate cards. the deck isn't even good; you already printed cycling naturalize.

They clearly thought Theros cards like Setessan Champion and the Lion would be better than they are.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

I think an argument could be made that if there's a top teir draw-go style hard control deck, between this and printing Literally Counterspell into standard this might be more powerful. Being able to hold it up and then flush it away at will is gonna end up way stronger than just any old "cancel with upside."

Lol no. Countering anything for 2 is way more powerful - a large portion of the time what you're trying to draw into with draw-go control is the cheapest live counterspell. And if your counterspells are cheaper, you don't need to hit as many land drops. And if you can counter their turn 2/3 play, removal becomes a lot less important.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

Remember when everyone spent lots of time complaining that they didn't print enough answers to powerful set mechanics? It's not like they can tell how the meta is shaking out by the time they're deciding to lock these in.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Lol no. Countering anything for 2 is way more powerful - a large portion of the time what you're trying to draw into with draw-go control is the cheapest live counterspell. And if your counterspells are cheaper, you don't need to hit as many land drops. And if you can counter their turn 2/3 play, removal becomes a lot less important.

Quench counters their turn 2/3 play same as Counterspell, and then this in the suite after your turn 3 says "you can hold this up until their end step, then if you haven enough counters in hand dig for your wincon."

I may have overstated (why I qualified with "an argument could be made" and not "I believe down to my skeleton"), but the card is still potentially Very Good in Standard.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
:lol: https://scryfall.com/card/iko/101/learning-social-distancing

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

PJOmega posted:

Or awful, since the set's core mechanic is putting multiple eggs in one basket.

The only way to get a blowout with kill spells against mutate is to let them fully resolve then kill the big mutant, at which point their “whenever this mutates” trigger has already resolved. Therefore it seems like the most playable mutate creatures are the ones whose “whenever this mutates” triggers are worth a card, of which a bit more than half of them so far are.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The only way to get a blowout with kill spells against mutate is to let them fully resolve then kill the big mutant, at which point their “whenever this mutates” trigger has already resolved. Therefore it seems like the most playable mutate creatures are the ones whose “whenever this mutates” triggers are worth a card, of which a bit more than half of them so far are.

I know you don't need this explained, but board presence can be as important as card advantage, so it's really not enough to say I already got a card's worth of effect.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I know you don't need this explained, but board presence can be as important as card advantage, so it's really not enough to say I already got a card's worth of effect.

Then you have the modality built in to widen your board presence if that's what you need at that moment instead of going for mutate value? :shrug:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

Then you have the modality built in to widen your board presence if that's what you need at that moment instead of going for mutate value? :shrug:

Yeah choices in limited are great, just wondering how often mutating will be worth it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Rinkles posted:

Yeah choices in limited are great, just wondering how often mutating will be worth it.

probably when you have a small dude being stonewalled by big blockers and a decent mutate trigger. dreamtail heron, for instance, is a four mana cantripping aura with “enchanted creature gains flying, and if its stats are smaller than 3/4, it becomes 3/4.” except 1) it can’t be blown out by removal in response, 2) its playable as a creature on its own, and 3) it triggers all your mutate triggers. that card is probably not great when you don’t have good mutate triggers but pretty excellent when you do.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Legendary Creature - Helion Horror
Companion - Each nonland card in your starting deck must have an odd converted mana cost.

Whenever a source you control with an odd converted mana cost deals any damage, double that damage instead.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Remember when everyone spent lots of time complaining that they didn't print enough answers to powerful set mechanics? It's not like they can tell how the meta is shaking out by the time they're deciding to lock these in.

The only thing sadder is them thinking enchantments could be a powerful set mechanic.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Rinkles posted:

Companion - Each nonland card in your starting deck must have an odd converted mana cost.

Whenever a source you control with an odd converted mana cost deals any damage, double that damage instead.

Give us a Hearthstone card sleeve in Arena, Wizards.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So what are the best mutate bases we've seen so far? The only hexproof one was like 6cmc.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

For constructed purposes probably Paradise Druid

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

You're locked into dimir if you want to get it on curve but Neightveil Predator is a spicy option.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So what are the best mutate bases we've seen so far? The only hexproof one was like 6cmc.

creatures don't have to mention mutate to get mutated, they just have to be not human, so pick your favorite small hexproof/indestructible creature

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Putting Snapdax on a Rotting Regisaur sounds like a fun time to me.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Good god

Luckily Cauldron familiar is life loss but Mayhem Devil triggers doing two damage and shocks doing 4... Ebon Legion hitting for 8 with a pump and Rotting Regi hitting for 14.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
im seeing a lot of good green cards and not a lot of cards that meaningfully interact with uro/krasis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sampatrick posted:

im seeing a lot of good green cards and not a lot of cards that meaningfully interact with uro/krasis

Oh yeah that's a good mutate body, whatever is blopped on top of Hydroid Krasis has the counters and flying+trample.