Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Devor posted:

My guess is that humans snap up dual-lands because they want to fill out their collection for deck building, so after the first tuning pass bots love them too? Or they might give them high values to reflect a "real" draft experience where real life people are filling out their collection and won't want to pass rare dual lands.

It’s neither of these; it’s because they make Good Dual Lands inherently hard to get because then people will buy lots more packs to get them. It’s a way of increasing scarcity in a world where all rare cards theoretically have an equivalent value. I’m not sure they actually said this out loud ever but have certainly come close a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Historic Knights sounds fun to play in Historic Brawl, a format that will not exist :(

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Eldraine has made me think that a Plane based on Santa’s Workshop and the darker Christmas stories could be really great; I hope that happens someday

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Framboise posted:

What about it? It was spoiled a few days ago.

But two Planeswalkers on the same card is way cool if you haven’t seen it before; I was well excited when I saw it at first

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I hope this is a meta joke about how they were thinking of making “Witch” a creature type then didn’t

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Wizards’ reluctance to do fun silly things even on a world full of candy cane houses is the worst

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I wanted Hans the half-hedgehog boy who plays the bagpipes, but I can’t say I’m holding out hope he’ll make an appearance :(

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I’m a bit worried about prerelease Sealed with all this monocolour stuff going on; I hope it doesn’t end up being miserable

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Green can’t destroy permanents of any kind with an effect like Beast Within, but that’s very different to this card that only affects creatures. I think his objection to those other cards was that they blew up everything, which this specifically doesn’t

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

The "Syr" thing is just a Game of Thrones. I think the non-gendered thing is good, but it probably happened as a result of wanting to capture Game of Thrones hype, which was still very popular and loved when the set was being developed. You can even see it in the names of the legendary Knights, which also follow the Game of Thones convention of "real name, but ~fantasy~". There's even a character named Ayara which is about as close but legally distinct you can get to Arya.

...huh, this makes a lot of sense and probably isn’t something they’d mention outright while still marketing the set. “We wanted to draw on something which people soured on before our set released” would indeed be a dicey position to be in.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

is there an alt-art showcase gingerbrute

kind of expecting there not to be just because wizards has such a long, long track record of being absolutely awful at knowing what players want to give them money for

I did think it was funny that the internal people at Wizards thought Gingerbrute was the absolute limit of silly, then the external marketing company used a much sillier version of it to promote the set, and now people are complaining that there’s no furious gingerbread woman legend in Eldraine

(Also there is no alt-art Gingerbrute in a special frame; only adventures get that this set.)

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

please make her a bear noble

Did they say why she isn’t already? Her flavour text says she was coronated; she is definitely a literal Queen among Bears!

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Tulul posted:

Probably down to the linearity of time, due to Noble not having become a creature type yet when MH1 came out.

No, I mean that Gatherer updated and she’s not been ennobled, while lots of human royalty has.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

i guess wizards of the coast doesn't recognize bear royal titles

The right to bear titles

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Was her hair black before?

Apparently it always was; like lots of people I thought it was blonde but it turns out I was mistaking a bit of her hood for hair

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

In a similar note, why is Dark Confidant not an advisor

It makes me irrationally annoyed that Hooting Mandrills is an ape when it should be a monkey

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

It’s fine to be an adult who likes trading card games and I want more adults to agree so Wizards stops vetoing whimsical things :(

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I’m a bit concerned from the Prerelease that ELD might have a lot of ways to create board stalls and not many ways to break through them; it’s quite easy to get lots of big creatures but there’s not much flying or trample at common or uncommon. A lot of games in the shop I was at just seemed to stall to a halt because there weren’t many non-bomb ways to tip the scales in one player’s favour. Hopefully I am wrong as I am very bad at this game.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I really like those unashamedly feminine pastel colours and jewelled frames; I like everything that makes this game less of an adventure in fragile masculinity

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I wonder how many RL cards would never be reprinted anyway regardless of the list because of how clunky and bad they are; like I have a Xanthic Statue and don’t exactly imagine WotC is cut up it can’t reprint that

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Would untyped duals break the reserved list, or is the answer that nobody knows?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Alan Moore actively apologised for writing the Killing Joke; like a lot of his stuff it ended up inspiring more of what he was trying to criticise in the first place

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Hyping up a product as a mystery, revealing it to have something cool then taking away the cool thing the next day is certainly a creative approach to marketing :psyduck:

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I’m sad almost none of the Adventures have names that sound like adventures, which is the kind of very small thing that bothers me.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

They should unironically hire a fanfic writer for these novels, they would craft better prose and be less likely to make this sort of tone-deaf decision.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

i'm not a native english speaker but this doesn't sound right to me

Writing “they loved” without a subject to mean “they loved each other” is a really unusual construction and also sounds a bit weird to me as a native speaker. But it might still be grammatically okay; I dunno? Like it’s implying their love is like an objectless state that they mutually share, or something like that, but this is giving the writer leeway he probably does not deserve

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

It’s weird how in fantasy “pointy ears” implies you’re a species other than human but “hair made of fire” does not

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I don’t get the sense Mark Rosewater relates the heuristics he uses to construct the colour pie to the relative power levels of different things within it, or really understands when a heuristic is no longer valid because the context of the game has changed— specifically thinking of “white can’t get above three power at common,” which was formulated when black and red had worse small creatures but remains now they’ve caught up a bit.

Honestly I think “design” in general doesn’t make sense and I’m not sure why it still exists. It is all development at the end of the day; colour identity needs a keen understanding of relative power level of different parts of the game if all the colours are going to be relatively viable. It’s telling that screwups never seem to be design’s fault, even wrt Green and White where they obviously are— a lot of the time I think they can’t be design’s fault because design barely does anything anymore. Almost all it does do is enforce a bad version of the colour pie, which hurts the game.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

IIRC the enemies in Shandalar tend to get easier rather than harder the more threatening they’re supposed to be because their decks are more likely to be full of colours and no fixing/have lots of fatties which in this card pool are near-universally terrible

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

From the teasers I’m guessing Eldraine Wonderland is five wintery (Snow?) basic lands and Seeing Visions is four different versions of Serum Visions; I imagine both products being for people who are an awful lot richer than I am

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

And Eldraine Wonderland could either be a winter theme or rethemed into Through the Looking Glass stuff.

I’m guessing it’s the first one because one of the teasers was “five basic lands in a fridge”

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

TBH I would probably have spent a horrifying amount on the Storybook Order of Midnight because of how pretty I found it; I lucked out that it turned out to be available for pennies

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I thought Swords to Plowshares and Path to Exile were no longer in White’s pie? I’m not sure many of the mono-White cards that get played in multiple formats still are, thinking about it.

I definitely agree that card draw is too integral a part of the game to wall off from one colour entirely. On Mark Rosewater’s Tumblr he talks about repeatable mana sinks being a possible alternative for white, but to me that sounds like it’d lead to repetitive play? Maybe that’s not true in practice; I don’t know.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

Didn't White used to get "if an opponent controls more lands than you search your library for a land and put it into play" type effects pretty consistently? Why did that go away? Not against the card draw idea but I think it's easy to overdo and lead to another OuaT situation where an experiment that pushes the color boundary is just too powerful. Maybe some sort of conditional Scry (tied to lifegain or creatures attacking or something) would be sufficient.

White gets to scry unconditionally; I think? It’s in one of those lists of effects somewhere.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I idly wondered if effects that said “if you have the most life/X life more than everyone else, [exciting benefits occur]” would be a fun way to take white just because then it would play quite differently to the other colours. It’s kind of cool to me to imagine a weenie deck whose initial attack is about opening up a life differential as much as it is actually winning. I am very bad at game design, though; this might be a bad idea for reasons I haven’t thought of

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

As someone who had to play chess as a five year old against my father, the strongest player in the city, I am a keen supporter of the concept of variance in games

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Hellsau posted:

just hit the teferi lottery and all will be well

I think the cat ones all always have Ajani, because he is a cat

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I always wondered if they prefer bot drafts because bots can aggressively take rares out of circulation whereas in an all-human draft all 24 rares will end up in someone’s collection. I guess it’s a way of making some rares slightly more rare than others too through aggressive bot drafting of dual lands

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I feel like the whole point of the colour pie is player perception the colours are distinct and roughly balanced, so having this insanely complex rules-based system feels like a bad way to approach that. It feels like it’s separated from what it’s supposed to achieve to the point players are going “this all feels wrong” and people go “ah but it’s not because of this arcane mess of justifications that exists”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I mean more that when the rules get rigid enough they start being followed even when players think they feel wrong, when the point of them in the first place was in making it feel like a distinction exists. The notorious Golgari Serra Angel being an example of something the rules say is fine but people say feels wrong.