Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
They released a planeswalker card with Elspeth holding her Returned mask like, six months ago. e: Actually a year. It was in the GRN masterpieces.

vegetables posted:

No, I mean that Gatherer updated and she’s not been ennobled, while lots of human royalty has.

Huh, when did they sneak that in? Seems like they added it to anyone with a royal title in their name, which does make it odd it doesn't include Ayala.

Tulul fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i thought it was new :(

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

That art is! Didn't mean to poo poo on your parade. I was just pointing out that Elspeth coming back is such a non-surprise that Wizards themselves spoiled it a full year before Theros came out.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kurtofan posted:

dun dun dun!

Sweet art. I'm glad they remembered the hole in her armor where Heliod stabbed the gently caress out of her with Godsend.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arivia posted:

I’m gonna ask a really stupid noob question. How do you get this deck started at all on t1? Seven cards in hand, no graveyard, 20 life. The only things it looks like you could do are cycle a Street Wraith to get a creature in the graveyard, or play second and discard eot to get one card in your graveyard. Obviously Hogaak and Bridge from Below do plenty of stuff, but how the gently caress do you start getting your graveyard full in the first place to use those?

Take the draw, discard down to hand size with Phantasmagorian, pitch your entire hand to bring back Phantasmagorian, cycle Street Wraiths to dredge like a motherfucker.

E: Also Balustrade Spy turns it into Oops, All Spells and you just randomly kill your opponent turn 2 by flipping your deck upside down and Dread Returning Lotleth Giant

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Tulul posted:

They released a planeswalker card with Elspeth holding her Returned mask like, six months ago. e: Actually a year. It was in the GRN masterpieces.

Huh, when did they sneak that in? Seems like they added it to anyone with a royal title in their name, which does make it odd it doesn't include Ayala.

i guess wizards of the coast doesn't recognize bear royal titles

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 25, 2019

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

TheKingofSprings posted:

Take the draw, discard down to hand size with Phantasmagorian, pitch your entire hand to bring back Phantasmagorian, cycle Street Wraiths to dredge like a motherfucker.

E: Also Balustrade Spy turns it into Oops, All Spells and you just randomly kill your opponent turn 2 by flipping your deck upside down and Dread Returning Lotleth Giant

If I did want to get into legacy, I'd play the gently caress out of this just because it's a cheapo deck that can still work. Also, no lands is my kind of perverse.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Manaless dredge is always one of those random decks you see in the wild and it's fun in theory but lol if you don't have any enablers in your opening 7 and you're always on the draw in a fast format.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

TheKingofSprings posted:

How does balustrade spy get played? Is it all mana artifacts?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The only time manaless dredge was actually a decent deck was before Mental Misstep was banned

It is cool that it is a deck that can win without casting a spell or playing a land though

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

i guess wizards of the coast doesn't recognize bear royal titles

The right to bear titles

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ilmucche posted:

How does balustrade spy get played? Is it all mana artifacts?

Dread Return using the creatures coming out of your grave to bring back the Balustrade you already put in there

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Dread Return using the creatures coming out of your grave to bring back the Balustrade you already put in there

This feels like an Abbot and Costello sketch

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Kurtofan posted:

dun dun dun!

Was her hair black before?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Apparently it always was; like lots of people I thought it was blonde but it turns out I was mistaking a bit of her hood for hair

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
A 2 CMC Chromatic Lantern, but it comes into play tapped and fixes all lands, not just your own.

Playable or not?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I 100% thought Elspeth was blonde.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Elspeth Bearenstein

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

JerryLee posted:

Sometimes.

https://www.funko.com/products/Games/Pop!/Magic:%20The%20Gathering/elspeth-tirel

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

A 2 CMC Chromatic Lantern, but it comes into play tapped and fixes all lands, not just your own.

Playable or not?

insanely loving busted

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lone Goat posted:

Noble didn't yet exist as a creature type

In a similar note, why is Dark Confidant not an advisor

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

In a similar note, why is Dark Confidant not an advisor

It makes me irrationally annoyed that Hooting Mandrills is an ape when it should be a monkey

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

vegetables posted:

It makes me irrationally annoyed that Hooting Mandrills is an ape when it should be a monkey

I forgot if Monkey was a creature type or not, which led to my discovery of this amazing factoid:

quote:

Sol Grail is an anagram of "Gorillas." It got this name because at one point during playtesting, every single card in Alliances had the word "Gorilla" in its title.[3] That happened because the design team was annoyed that the continuity team was planning to throw out their carefully planned story in favor of one about intelligent gorillas on a rampage.

Here's that citation. We got robbed on Force of Will's name.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Tulul posted:

I forgot if Monkey was a creature type or not, which led to my discovery of this amazing factoid:

We got robbed of a gorilla set!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tulul posted:

I had that copy of the the Duelist when it came out!

I can never remember my mom's birthday, but I will never forget Gorilla Gorilla Gorilla Gorilla Gorilla Gorilla Gorilla Gorilla (Stop That)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://www.magic.gg/news/esports-update-qualifiers-fractional-invites-and-more?fbclid=IwAR0zrtahMopxlkJUOfXDIF39F3UCpwH4LBdchSauoD5HyCuHY-FsKmQH8z8

Anything new in this?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Kurtofan posted:

dun dun dun!

ELSPETH LIVES*

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Besides making it possible to get to the new pro tour if you have several T8-near misses, I don't think so. And a bunch of Arena Pro tour swiss tournament babble.

Riversideblues
Jul 23, 2007

Dicks McGillicuddy
Wait what was my reward for that green egg thing on Arena? I clicked it and then nothing happened?

Worked after a restart, mostly junk plus one Garruk.

Riversideblues fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 26, 2019

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

A bunch of random rare + mythic ICRs from new standard. Nice, but nothing extravagant

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Riversideblues posted:

Wait what was my reward for that green egg thing on Arena? I clicked it and then nothing happened?

It's the most metal gift of all.

NOTHING

My exp also didn't reset :shrug:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlternateNu posted:

Sweet art. I'm glad they remembered the hole in her armor where Heliod stabbed the gently caress out of her with Godsend.

Right in the tit?

What a merciless creature he is.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Oko is so loving broken

Get it now before it's a 40 dollar card

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

Oko is so loving broken

I’ll get it for the low low price of 4 Wildcards! :D

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

80s James Hetfield posted:

Oko is so loving broken

Show your work

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

hes a 3 mana planeswalker has 6 hp and can be played on turn 2 and makes 3/3s

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

https://scryfall.com/search?q=f%3Afuture+%28o%3A%2F%5E%5Csm%2B%2C*.*%3A%2F+or+o%3A%2Fmay+pay+%5Csm%2B%2F%29&order=rarity is activated and triggered abilities with a mana cost for anyone who wants to brew with Fires of Invention.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 26, 2019

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Kild posted:

hes a 3 mana planeswalker has 6 hp and can be played on turn 2 and makes 3/3s

Him and Untitled Goose Dork are best of friends

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Honestly oko seems p good, 6 loyalty is a bunch and a lot of creatures have less then 3 power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Oko plus Shitterblossom is a 4/4 every turn starting turn 3