Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

araeris posted:

The old thread title change was so bad we had to leave?

Anyways, might be good to have a note on sleeves in the OP as questions about those pop up often enough:

Best Sleeves as of Summer 2019 (make sure to buy "Standard" and not "Japanese" sizes):
Ultimate Guard Katana
Dragon Shield Matte

For inner sleeves, KMC Perfect Fits are the de facto standard. Dragon Shield perfect fits are also fine. Don't buy sideloader perfect fits.

Also, the Tolarian Community College playlist of sleeve reviews is pretty well respected. Watch the newest videos first as quality of brands that were previously good have later become suspect.

I super dig katana sleeves but they're so hard to find for a good price lately unless they're a crappy color. Dragon Shield mattes are a step below but still great and there's a huge assortment of colors to pick from.

Dragon Shield sealable inners are great and well worth the extra effort imo, on that note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
It's very possible that Oko might have a passive ability too, since that seems to be the new hotness with planeswalkers.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Mat Cauthon posted:

I thought they said passive abilities on Planeswalkers was specific to War of the Spark and not something they want to make an evergreen design thing?

One of the Chandras from M20 had a passive that keeps her from being countered, so maybe? Who knows.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's not like that guarantees Eldraine planeswalkers will have them, is what I mean. I'm just saying it's a possibility.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Everytime they come up with something that draws me toward Arena, they shoot themselves in the feet.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
People who want to play Historic won't be playing standard because they'll be investing their very limited resources into the double cost of Historic.

Congratulations, WotC, you just played yourself.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

I usually wait a few weeks for Commander product cards to drop a bit as more get opened/put into circulation. Glad I fought that instinct this time. >_>

I'm still trying to decide if I'm buying that deck. Elsha, Extortionist, Sevinne's Reclamation, and that really bad 4 mana rock are more than the retail price.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I get the feeling that it can be reused, but since it's a spell (and?) an activated ability, it can be countered. So maybe that's the "downside" since activated abilities don't have quite as many counters otherwise.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
show me the faeries wotc

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

AnEdgelord posted:

How is "having a seperate pile of cards exiled with adventure" a serious problem we should devote any time to at all?

This is the MTG thread. There's only a complaint about small or non-issues in days that end in Y.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Elyv posted:

Important lore question: does writing Embereth on the floor stop the beasties of Eldraine from attacking you?

Only when you have an @ emblem and m - a magic marker. You must write it on the table.

Your opponent attacks thin air.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Having Rebecca do more MtG art would be wonderful, but it's not like she's not making art at all anymore. A lot of her gallery work is ridiculously good. (Rather NSFW though.)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

I get that there are different strokes for different folks, and I understand that Magic is a game that appeals to a broad spectrum of interests, but I will never understand why people like singleton lmfao. What is the appeal of Magic with the worst part (variance) cranked up? I guess I've only played it during arena events, so maybe its a lot better with a tuned deck.

Singleton forces variety and by default makes for more varied and entertaining games than modern or standard where most decks boil down to having pretty much the same game plan and seeing a lot of the same matchups. This is further enriched by the have that many singleton formats are designed to be played with more than 2 players.

Tuned Singleton decks (speaking in terms of Commander and Oathbreaker at least) are still pretty efficient at accomplishing what they are designed to do without being monotonous and needing 4 copies of the same overpriced card.

I played Modern for 2 years until I realized how very bored I was getting with it. I got into singleton formats and haven't really looked back much.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 5, 2019

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Taking bets that the Professor is gonna get either another crappy card as a joke or a pauper reprint for his preview just because I'm sure they're aware of how salty he is about that

On another note I hope Spellstutter Sprite is in this set, it's my all time favorite card and I like collecting them

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
How much are the brawl decks supposed to cost anyway? Kind of want two of them.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

Uhhhh, da fuq?

What about it? It was spoiled a few days ago.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, I read it as "there's something wrong/bad". It's pretty nifty yeah.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

NEAT

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

Don't open this link at work: https://beautifulbizarre.net/2016/08/24/interview-with-rebecca-leveille-guay/

She's never coming back. The five basic lands she illustrated for Commander 2016 were just a postscript.

I totally respect that. I wondered why she changed her name, too; that's interesting.

Good on her, though. It's not everyday someone gains the ability to express themselves however they like as a career.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if there's gonna be a gemstone mine reprint with the seven dwarves.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Retromancer posted:

This is absolutely going in my Yuriko deck. fantastic ninjitsu enabler.

And here I was wanting to build Yuriko too. A neat new toy. The flavor is on-point too.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

Speaking as a New Yorker who saw 9/11 happen 2 months after I joined the military and spent ten years dealing with the hosed up aftermath, anyone who's offended can loving suck it.

I bet the Venn diagram of people up in arms about this and those screaming about the WUR wall from the commander precons is a loving circle.

There was a nonzero number of people at my lgs saying I'M GONNA BUILD A TRUMP 2020 WALL DECK AND IT'S RED WHITE AND BLUE

magic was a mistake

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Less knights more faeries and elves and stuff please

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Blooming Brilliant posted:

The thing that shocks me the most right now is the lack of Monty Python references. Good restraint I guess.

Need a pongify-like that turns a creature into a 0/1 Newt for a couple turns.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
https://mobile.twitter.com/maro254/status/1172198040263741441

WORLD MEET

...a bad journey to nowhere

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Correction, an artifact Journey to Nowhere!

Right, a bad journey to nowhere.

Keep in mind that journey can exile any creature. And this is an artifact and therefore easier to remove.

Flavor.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

gently caress the Brawl decks. :colbert:

Hey look, a better Glass Casket and worse Journey to Nowhere. :v:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I remember Travis Woo was banned for a bit and it doesn't seem like he is anymore.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'm probably just going to buy singles of the fancy cards I want rather than just hope for them playing a higher stakes lottery than the typical pack.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Tulul posted:

"Add seven R" is much nicer templating than the previous "Add RRRRRRR".

Should have been in Ixalan. It's a pirate's favorite card.

Hey look, it's Copy Artifact but better and not reserve list (for just 1 mana extra). I like it!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-update-historic-2019-09-12

Historic will be 1:1 for wildcard redemption after playerbase dissatisfaction.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Kurtofan posted:

Archon of Absolution 3W Uncommon

Creature-Archon

Flying

Protection from White

Creatures can't attack you or a planeswalker you control unless their controller pay 1 for each of those creatures.

3/2

Hello, new windborn muse.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

THE SOUL SISTERS NOW HAVE A QUEEN

if only I still played Modern

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

InterrupterJones posted:

drat, it’s a good time to want to play Yuriko EDH I guess

Does Yuriko make good use of it?

...I'm kinda interested.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'm wondering what the card with the fancy Seb art that was teased a while back will be.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo I love everything about that card.

I want a foil.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I unironically love it

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

I don’t know why but the named knights having the title “Syr” really grinds my gears.

I think Maro said it was to make it gender neutral or something.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Tibalt posted:

I didn't realize Alesha was a trans woman until the article came out.

I kind of like that, though? Not necessarily that her identity is kind of obscure unless you know her story, but more the way she's presented as a character for those who choose to read into her.

Her card isn't about her being trans, it's representative of her being a powerful khan whose army killed 6 dragons. Her story doesn't even necessarily revolve around her being trans-- it's simply the identity she claims. She knows who she is, and she confidently holds a deathgrip on that identity, impossible to shake. The story is more about identity in general-- knowing yourself and having the confidence in yourself to proudly claim it to all who can hear. The orc that fights alongside her in the battle mocks her as "a boy that thinks he's a woman" and, completely unfazed, she flips it around on him at the end of the battle. The orc is unable to claim a war name, an identity, for himself despite Alesha and other Mardu allies sharing the heroic acts they witnessed him perform. He lacks the confidence and does not know himself enough to claim an identity for himself, and Alesha shows that she knows herself, with full confidence, and proudly claims her identity. "Know who you are, and claim it." Everyone knows who he is, but he does not know himself as well as his allies do, which speaks a lot of him as a nameless character.

Alesha is trans, but that isn't her primary trait and the story does not make it so. She's a strong, confident warrior and leader and the story shines the spotlight on that more than her gender. I feel that's a cool way to write a trans character into the story without making their gender identity and the story behind it more important than all of the traits that makes them the character who they are. I feel like I've seen a lot of stories (in general) try to write representation of an identity either shoehorn the details in as an "oh by the way" thing to the point that it's irrelevant, or hamfist the details to make everything about the character about their gender/sexuality/etc and nothing else (which is fine if that's the point of the story, but it's kind of dumb if that's not what the overall story is about?), which undermines who they are and can be as a character and reduces them to a single trait. Alesha's story does a good job of finding a good balance. She is Alesha, like her grandmother before her, who Smiles at Death.

alesha's really cool and i've always liked the way her story was written ok
(i swear i'll get around to making an edh deck for her someday, i've wanted to for quite some time)

Framboise fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Huh, so that one art Seb did when they were teasing the set didn't get used on a card. Interesting. I wonder if it's going to be used later in some other set.