Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cactrot posted:

I love The Dive Down specifically for the Causal Spike moniker, because it is literally me.

Lol

Anyone going to pax? All the locals I know are kind of over it, and the side events have been declining for years but I'm sure there'll be a bit of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Magic thread with buyback leads to repetitive conversational patterns.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

moush posted:

The double cost is baffling, but I like that they're going the route of adding cards to historic from older sets. As long as they choose well (unlikely) adding some fan favorites into historic could be very interesting, and I wonder if they could even add in reserved list cards.

Also I read a theory that WotC purposefully introduced the lovely 2 for 1 system so when they back down to a normal 1 to 1 rate people will be happier, when in reality historic cards should have been cheaper.

Modern is a wasteland so declaring remaking it as a non-goal and starting over has me optimistic. Not that I really play arena much anyway.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ilmucche posted:

I would love for one set to not have any spoilers and to walk into the prerelease completely blind. Could you imagine someone cracking a pack and screaming "They reprinted jace tms!!!"

Just stay away from the usual sources of information for a while. It's doable.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
They'll end up in standard again eventually too I'm sure.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for those uploads Xarph. I'm really engrossed by the marine salvage book!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

Yeah playing a bunch of Omniscience drafts reminded me just how much I hate bot drafts. The cards you want in Omniscience drafts are mostly garbage, so it's fine, but you get to see how absurd the individual card rankings are. Like, Unsummon is some sort of insanely high pick for the bots.

Agreed. I wouldn't even mind it if they weren't so half assed in their implementation. Their rationale for not implementing realtime drafts is beyond lame too.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Tireless Forager
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, cook up a food token. Whenever you eat, put a +1/+1 counter on Tireless Forager.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
We've gotten mana and cards with treasure and clues so I'm sure it's life. Can't wait for creature type chef.

Wicked Witch of the Woods 2B
[pic of crone with gingerbread house in bg]
Human Wizard, 2/2
3BB, T: Destroy target human. Create food tokens equal to its toughness.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It's flashback-as-a-creature. You can cast her directly or send her off on an adventure (sorcery/instant effect) and cast her later.

e: In her case she 'wrangles' some bears rather than killing them I guess

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it helps intimidate them :shrug:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

that makes me think you can't use both sides because that card would be fairly nuts if you could. "G: make a 1/1" is a fairly gross repeatable effect to tack onto a 3 mana 5/5 (even one that can't attack most of the time but can still block). i think they're probably sorcery/creature split cards; the sorcery half resolves and goes to the yard like a normal sorcery, the creature once resolved effectively doesn't have the adventure text box.

Agreed G for a 1/1 is too good to be repeatable but it's so clearly set up to use the adventure side I'm convinced you'll be able to go adventure then cast from exile.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
You guys aren't paying attention to the adventure keyword. That clearly indicates to me you're sending it off somewhere for an intermediate effect that coincides with whatever else it has going on once it's put back on the battlefield later.

e: This also lets them do what they like to do and add a trigger for whenever you cast an adventure spell, cost reductions for adventure spells etc.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
e: ^^^^ If it's a split card why give it a subtype and all that. Also the two halves in the examples dovetail too nicely to be one or the other on their own.

Skyl3lazer posted:

I mean, the counter is the token these are creating.

Doesn't really work when you have multiples of the source card. Y'all are overthinking it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Obv they're weaker than clues but as pure upside thrown on a bear or whatever seems deece.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The adventure cards with the alternate frames have it too. I guess it's for contents of the new collector's booster product.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that trailer was amazing for them

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Kurtofan posted:

The gingerbread man isnt an artifact creature ?

Pastry golem

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sampatrick posted:

like literally how can you look at these mechanics and not think they're lazy af?

What does lazy even mean in this context? Uncomplicated? Leading to boring play? "Easy to have come up with"?

Like, if the set drafts well who cares?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

A big flaming stink posted:

where, exactly, are you going to put your adventure exile cards so that they aren't in your graveyard or your regular exile cards? limited is one thing, but constructed is chock full of ways to exile stuff, and having to remember if this card was exiled as an adventure or due to another reason is just begging for a rules clusterfuck

This is a total nonnissue and your handwriting about it is strange.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, and? It really won't be a problem. If it were, they'd have made adventure counters or something to help.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Did they blow all the spoilers yesterday and there's none for the rest of the week or what?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cactrot posted:

The multiple borders in previews are messing me up, the storybook frame comes in some kind of premium booster and the normal in a regular booster (I think). Where do the borderless art ones come in?

Smh you don't have this memorized.

See, it's simple!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

This card could be monored if that Lifelink was, like, Intimidate. I don't even think the card would need to be a creature instead of an enchantment.

Yeah but then it wouldn't be making a friar, a littlejohn, and an archer.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

neaden posted:

Is this the first Monty Python reference? Proud of wizards for the restraint.

looks like it ya

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Magic Underwear posted:

Still struggling to envision what a good food deck looks like. I didn't play during energy but as a redesigned energy it seems both more expensive than energy and with pretty mediocre payoffs. Oko is by far the strongest synergy but that's not even food specific.

Energy was a busted, parasitic, unfun, resource translation mechanic so this is a good thing imo.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Is anyone else bothered that the flavour text for Bartered Cow says uses mooing as a verb when moo is the sound but lowing is the action? No? Ok then.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

don't think anyone's bothered about using a verb as a verb

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/moo

While possibly technically allowable, it's flavourfully wrong, which is against the whole point of flavour text. :colbert:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Lol. I have to believe pod drafts are their highest requested feature, maybe on par with additional platforms. The fact they won't commit to it speaks volumes.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

moush posted:

It wouldn't just be 5-10 minutes, the whole point of pod drafting is you play the entire swiss with those same players. No one is going to want to put down 4-5 hours to play a draft swiss.

Yeah people complained for all of two seconds when they changed to in-pod draft out-of-pod matches. Nobody wants to go back to that they just want to draft in a real metagame and not against shoddy, predictable, abusable bots.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
There were a bunch of wotc employees at fnm last night doing a survey thing for the companion app and I told them they needed nonbot drafts. Two said it was their number one feature fwiw.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but big teferi is mythic, so not quite what were talking about. Still overpriced tho I agree.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Doesn't magic have serfs too? Needs a Yeomen imo.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

little munchkin posted:

after carefully re-reading the card, i realize the error of my ways and would like to apologize.

Wait am I still on the sa forums?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

sit on my Facebook posted:

And by "maxed out" you mean leveling up all the way to the top?

That does actually seem pretty good, although that level grind seems daunting

They've turned magic from something that's fun I want to do into another grindy game I don't have time to play.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Tubgoat posted:

loving god, I wish any of my LGSes drafted this weekend.

It's against the rules so I'd be surprised if they risked it. Just get gud and draft your winnings I guess.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Remember for the price of 16 packs and some lame throw-ins you can get a ps4, a bundled game, and a tv to play it on.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

JerryLee posted:

My impression is that tolarian professor is pretty much as non-chud as you can possibly be, but now that I've said that, half an hour from now someone will probably unearth a racist tweet from his past or something

Tolarian Professor is preternaturally wholesome and a good recommendation. Just make sure to show them the 1.5x playback speed option youtube has.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I really don't understand how they've managed to regress it so much. Who knew a little cat would be so perf intensive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
dehumanize yourself and face to arena