Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
When do actual spoilers start and not just names?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Owlbear Camus posted:

I have a prediction for the new walker:
Her plus is some kind of incremental advantage, her minus is somen kind of removal, and her ult effectively wins you the game.

Not really a fair criticism anymore since they designed a large number of interesting well balanced (minus one) walkers that don't follow that mold.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

JerryLee posted:

Which is the minus one in your mind? I'm curious.

Tibalt, obviously.

For real though smolferi is notably stronger than the rest and more general purpose too. Narset is really good as well but it's hard to beat three mana for a bounce that cycles, stuffs flash/instants and leaves a remainder. And weird end step scapeshift type stuff.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

JerryLee posted:

Afaik the "when you do" templating isn't something they'd need to use there but maybe they're changing how they do that.

E: what I mean is that I was under the impression they used it when the clause was contingent on a choice and they didn't want you to have to choose a target if you weren't going to choose yes in the first place, e.g. Cavalier of Night. No reason to do it there since there's no may and it would make no sense for there to be one

Narset supremacy

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

When do they reveal the good cards? This is vastly worse than unbreakable formation.

Garruk looks cool but six mana walkers have to be insane, even new Chandra (which I thought was ridiculous) doesn't see that much play.

Also there's enough there already for a good knights deck.

Most everything else seems too safe and/or not snowbally enough to be constructed playable.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

A big flaming stink posted:

where, exactly, are you going to put your adventure exile cards so that they aren't in your graveyard or your regular exile cards? limited is one thing, but constructed is chock full of ways to exile stuff, and having to remember if this card was exiled as an adventure or due to another reason is just begging for a rules clusterfuck

You look so stupid in this post. Have you heard of thief of sanity? Light up the stage? Hostage taker? "Exiled but it might not stay exiled forever" is a really common pseudo zone at this point, I don't think players are going to pull their hair out on this one.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

A big flaming stink posted:

all of those are either extremely temporary, or are already marked by other in game objects.
Actually not, two cards in standard at this very moment are totally without time limits or counters: thief of sanity which I mentioned, and the WAR three mana Vivien.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Singleton is good when the power difference between the best card and the worst card in the deck is like 20%. These singleton precons are mostly garbage with like three constructed quality cards per deck so the variance of each draw is super high when you can draw a 2 mana 2/1 or a kayas wrath. It will be much better when you can actually construct the deck yourself.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Count Bleck posted:

Food Golem.

Windmill slam this card (metaphorically) when someone complains that Kenrith giving haste to all creatures only benefits the active player. I love the flavor.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Tainen posted:

Bringing back invitational cards was a mistake

He looks like he's taking his senior yearbook photo

That sorcery speed hurts me, so promising before that.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Really blurring the line between enchantment and colored artifact.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

So this is a build around where I guess you want to cast two big free spells per turn and use your actual mana on mana sinks like...firebreathing or something. The nice thing is that you can play a free spell after tapping out to play this. Really mitigates the tempo loss. It has real potential but I don't know exactly what the payoff is supposed to be.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

TheMaestroso posted:

It works really well with the red Cavalier - pumps your guys AND gives them haste, so each subsequent creature creates a snowball effect.

So play this on turn 4 plus any other spell you might like, then on turn 5 you play the cavalier and rummage your whole hand looking for the other two combo pieces, ilharg and end-raze forerunner. Double pump for well over 20 trampling damage, neat.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Toshimo posted:

(A) You still need lands
(B) You only get one more spell after Fires, so if it's Bontu, that's all.
(C) Enchantment destruction exists.

So, no, this plan sucks.

Worst theorycraft ever.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

IDK, scorcher is better if you have an empty board or just have a spitfire down, but dwarf is better if you have a few dudes and a cavalcade.

I think the dwarf is there so that the deck still functions when you don't draw cavalcade. And being a blowout when you get the God hand of course

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Seven loving mana just to take an extra turn? And I can't even recur it from the yard? Garbage.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Elyv posted:

oh whoops, in recompense I offer these spoilers

Both sucky. It's weird that wg has all these adventure matters cards when I'm pretty sure there's only been one good adventure shown and it's black. The entire theme is going to be draft only.

Edit: wait there was that red one that looked OK too. WG has so far a limited 5 mana wrath with a blah pile of stats on the end.

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 17, 2019

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

A Moose posted:

The annoying thing about that green land is that it ramps, but only when you already have enough Mana. What green creature costs more than 5 and is constructed playable? Basically just hydroid krasis. It's only ramp for 1 turn and then its basically overkill. It might not have much of a deck building cost but it also doesn't do much

Pretty much krasis and other hydras. Would have been cooler if you could spend the mana on land abilities so that multiples could be somewhat useful. Maybe that XUUU guy is part of a cycle and makes this make more sense.

The white and black ones are sick though. And the blue will probably get used just because.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

GoutPatrol posted:

How do you do fellow kids.

There is one person in my group that hates all split and transform cards and refuses to make decks with them.

Trans- and bi-phobia are common in the gamer community, I'm not surprised.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Elyv posted:

code:
"Tenacious Knight"
BR
Creature - Human Knight
Menace

At the beginning of your upkeep, each player draws a card and loses 1 life.
Illus. Chris Ralles	2/2

I don't think this fits in the Knights deck. It doesn't snowball and it draws your opponent into a board clear. Maybe in a midrange deck or something. Symmetrical effects have to be way in your favor to be good and drawing is too good for everyone. If the draw is a wash then it's a bear with menace aka draft chaff.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Owlbear Camus posted:

Turning every cantrip into lighning bolt/strike seems good.

If the coming standard includes much cycling, esp cycling lands, I think this gets pretty busted.

Only the first cantrip on your turn. It's not enough by itself, maybe in a Phoenix deck though, is it better than the three mana drake?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Elyv posted:

code:
"Gingerbread House"
Land Forest
(T: Add G.)

Gingerbread House enters the battlefield tapped unless you control three or more forests.

When Gingerbread House enters the battlefield untapped, create a food token.

Still struggling to envision what a good food deck looks like. I didn't play during energy but as a redesigned energy it seems both more expensive than energy and with pretty mediocre payoffs. Oko is by far the strongest synergy but that's not even food specific.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Obscil posted:

This seems pretty strong. A cantripping pongify is quite a card.

Well I'd say it's a hell of a lot better than the thousandth variation on fight for green removal. And it fits that classic card game cliche, it can be used offensively or defensively. :discourse:

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

I like the recurring haste one more. Indestructible is nice but it's a lot of mana and it's too expensive to play and protect on the same turn. With some incidental lifegain you get the best part of indestructible and meaningful damage from hand (just being able to threaten 4 hasty damage is enough to hamstring an opponent sometimes)

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I got three henges in my free+gold packs, you fuckers better not have been lying to me about how good it is because I'm obligated to play it now.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I hope people stop talking about yugioh because it's a painful reminder that while I have disdain for it, yugioh and magic are both childrens card games and most people would not be able to distinguish between them. I prefer to maintain the illusion that I play the serious and grown up game for at least one hour every day so that I can earn imaginary gold coins and rubies and, eventually, a very adult and serious cartoon fox companion who will frolic playfully (but seriously) before my very eyes. Thank you. Thank you.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Yes. But it isn't $35. From what I remember $1 = 200 gems at the best rate so $17. And aside from the one time starter bundle a maxed out mastery pass is by far the best value for money, if you want to spend money.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

What I like about this is that none of the modes actually work the same as doing damage.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Elyv posted:

who is this and do they have a card

yes, but few can see it

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Probably just unrestricting a single card in vintage.

But seriously craft those fields now and get them free wildcards.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Mat Cauthon posted:

Either way it's not as if they don't have the resources to do it within a realistic timespan, they just don't want to.

I doubt they have the ability either. The game is creaking under the weight of just the normal rotation schedule and a handful of events. I doubt they could handle releasing one legacy set every three months. And the financial incentive to do so is really speculative and cannibalistic of mtgo.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Elyv posted:

Theros: Beyond Spoilers

More draft chaff, but I'm kinda digging this idea of enchantments becoming more like spells with a weak continuous effect. The fight card could actually be playable in monogreen. Rampage of the clans gets its day in the sun?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
EDH is a kitchen table format, why would you care if some rules committee makes stupid rules? Just ignore them.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Wait can you still play Brawl in some arcane way like you can Historic

Direct challenge? But that doesn’t enforce ban lists anyway.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

The Clowner posted:

Any expansion outside of "magical antiquity" and "classical fantasy" would be exciting imo. But the playerbase would have a shitfit so it's never going to happen.

Maybe if they marketed it as a separate product like "Magic the Gathering: [Something]" and didn't release it along the standard set rotation (i.e. not standard legal), regular magic players wouldn't be too grossed out. Maybe make a cyberpunk Un-set.

Bout time they finally made use of the Deckmaster branding I'd say

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
NO ANGLE SHOOTING! WITCH HUNT!

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Paul Zuvella posted:

I don't think its an accident that every single one of these is being sold separately and have wildly different compositions, styles, and value propositions.

They are actively testing what they can get away with and how stupid their customer base is.

So what signal does it send when a bunch of people buy all of them?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I'm enjoying gruul embercleave because I enjoy turning big monsters sideways the same turn I play them. It isn't tier 1 and aggro is not great atm but I think standard is basically fine overall. There's room for lots of decks even though only a handful are tier 1. I don't think a metagame has to be a seven way tie to be good.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Ashiok is going to be a standard staple 100%. That is a good card.

If elspeth was designed like oko was, all of those abilities would be +. Not very good as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

A Moose posted:

Ashiok seems really underwhelming. On turn 5 you're making a 2/3 or bouncing something while making them exile that extra land in their hand. They're definitely playing it super safe. Elspeth is absolutely nuts in a control deck. Sure I'll pitch a used Opt, Absorb, Fabled Passage and board wipe to make 4 1/1s and get in up to 14 damage for almost no investment.

So you judge ashiok by what it does on the turn it comes out and elspeth on what it can do in the absolute best case scenario over several turns? Cmon bruh. Also you realize you have to pay 4WW to recur elspeth in addition to the cards? You aren't making any sense.

And yeah ashiok is worse than teferi. Thank god for that. I don't think we need another teferi.