Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Wow that loving blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Adding cards randomly means you have to burn wildcards too since there won't be any packs to get them from otherwise. Such a bad system.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Huxley posted:

That card is very ugly.

The artwork is great, the frame is really nice.

That version of split is horrendous.

Yeah it's ugly as gently caress.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for buying a card earlier than someone else.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gingerbrute when wizards?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The trailer on the stream was loving awesome.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

That's crazy how much poo poo they just announced.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

AceClown posted:

Honestly, if WotC had just said that historic cards cost 2:1 wildcards for the first one you craft and the other 3 are 1:1 that would make more sense to me than just a flat 2:1.

It would mean that brawl won't cannibalise historic too much but sort of add a premium for playing Brawl.

I think that might genuinely be the best compromise plan I've seen anywhere. If they really have their heels dug in and don't want to change the ratios at all, I hope they at least extend the deadline beyond November.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

go back to Tarkir and the clans have figured out that the dragons are actually bullshit and are rising up against them.

seriously gently caress sarkhan and his dragon fetish, Tarkir and everyone who lived there was way better off without the loving shithead dragons

I think that's pretty likely, and there's a good chance the enemy color will end up being dominant (creating real wedges designed like Alara's shards instead of the way they were before) as a reaction against its previous removal. Just like Theros was seeded with stuff to do when they returned to it, as we saw today, MaRo's said Tarkir also had things seeded in to make a return possible, and I think he outright said there wouldn't be much point returning without wedges.

If it doesn't happen, it'll probably just be because they have a lot of popular planes in rotation now (with Dominaria, Ravnica, Zendikar and Innistrad seemingly being locked in as permanent go to planes), and some old favorites may never find a spot in the schedule since they want to add new planes that may become popular in their own right as well.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 4, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kurieg posted:

They talked about this in the Twitch stream last week. After Maro submitted the gingerbread Man he was told "Alright, this is too silly for the set, we'll allow this one but no more."

It's funny that they drew the line there since the trailer showcased it and was a huge hit that is 100% going to lead to a gingerbread widow card down the line.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I guess it makes sense to add an unusual amount of planeswalker hate after the set with the most planeswalkers in the game's history.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

But really not a fan of this development that the showcase cards get some of the sweetest MTG art seen in ages and regular versions have super lovely CGI instead

They really really want the premium booster experiment to work out, but hopefully people won't bite and they'll decide to use good art on the cards people actually do buy instead.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Elyv posted:

this set is remarkably wordy

Choose one at random?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Extremely dumb.

Love this flavor.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lets Pickle posted:

I would be very surprised if they didn't do exactly this. Will be a little more awkward in draft when you have multiples of the same dwarf but whatever.

MaRo said there's only one version of the dwarves.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

vegetables posted:

Wizards’ reluctance to do fun silly things even on a world full of candy cane houses is the worst

Tbf they were reluctant to do a set with fairytale theming at all, so at least they relented on that. I think they seriously underestimated how much people would like it though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

whydirt posted:

I’m still baffled that R&D thought Arthurian knights was a bigger draw than fairy tales. The fact that most of the fairy tale stuff are draft commons while knights fill the legendary rare creature slots is dumb as heck.

This part from MaRo's Making Magic article about Eldriane was hilarious:

"This concern was well illustrated by an interaction I would have many months later. We often like to invite other people to our design playtests so that we can get fresh perspectives on the set. After one playtester had playtested the set for the first time, I went up to him to get feedback. I asked him what he thought of the set. He gushed about all the fairy-tale elements. I asked what he thought about the Camelot part of the set. He said he hadn't noticed any. I then looked at his deck. He was playing Knight tribal. About three quarters of his deck was the "Camelot part of the set," but it didn't stand out to him because it's just the kind of thing Magic does all the time. Given, he was playing with playtest cards, so there was no art or flavor text to help spell out that part of the world, but the interaction was very telling."

I bet when he does his next year in review he'll be talking about how they leaned too hard on the Arthurian stuff nobody found very exciting, though obviously he's biased since he's the one who wanted the fairytale set in the first place.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lord_Magmar posted:

Personally, I rather like the Knights as a design element for the set. The Camelot thing is happening because most people don’t know the Arthurian tales in any real detail.

Admittedly I’m still hoping for a card themed around the Green Knight and his take turns decapitating each other competition.

I don't hate that there's a knights theme in the set, it's just weird that the marketing seems to focus so heavily on the fairytale aspect while design seems to have been scared of it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kalli posted:

It makes sense for them to be gunshy because if it's successful they'll just plan to come back to it in 2 years and have a whole bunch more designs they can use immediately.

I've been wondering about that. It seems like it might be hard to come back after they already blew their load with all the most recognizable characters from fairytales, but I guess they could revisit some of the same characters by upgrading some of them to legendary status. Have we seen anything with three pigs yet?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bricks don't hold up like they used to.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lord_Magmar posted:

My guess is the last really heavy "fairy tale" set was Arabian Nights, and just in general design is probably scared of going back to really early magic where it wasn't it's own thing but riffing off a lot of other things too often.

That does match up with what Maro's said about wanting to save legendary status for their own creations rather than the references. If they do revisit Eldraine in the future, maybe they can make more things that "feel like" fairy tales without actually being Disney references to close that gap.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

When everyone says nobody knows anything about Arthur my first reaction is 'What about that Sean Connery movie?' but I guess a lot of Magic players weren't even alive when it came out.

teddust posted:

I don't doubt that some people didn't really like the weird art and flavor with the Kami, but underpowered set that sells like poo poo after a broken one is about as fundamental to magic as a 2/2 for 2 mana.

Apparently it tested poorly on basically every metric, from flavor to mechanics. When they want to do not-Japan again, they should probably just start over.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tainen posted:

The arena manager said on stream a week or two ago they don’t think that pod drafts would fire in a time they find people who play arena would find acceptable.

In practice I think they're right that the vast majority of players would prefer sticking with bot drafts just for the convenience, so I get where they're coming from. Having the option will be nice if/when they ever actually do it, but I think a lot of people who think they want it will change their minds when it actually happens. If they end up having more tournaments and poo poo on Arena it'll be good for that though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Real drafting would be so much better, I would actually do ranked and cube would feel a lot better. I wouldn't mind waiting 5 to 10 minutes for them to fire, that's almost the same experience as mtgo anyway.

They're so afraid of long queue times that the stated reason for brawl being one day a week is so people don't get sick of it and leave new players who want to try it facing long queues, so imo it's in the crazy pile of 'here's a whacky idea we may get to someday!' because they've basically decided they don't want to do it at all even though they may eventually cave due to pressure. Ryan Spain seems pretty annoyed about it since he was one of the people who designed the bots and he says they were meant to be a stop-gap kiddie table solution and weren't programmed to be a long term answer, but obviously design goals changed after he left the team.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 20, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

100% agree that they need to give the bots better programming/responsiveness to the meta if they're the long term plan now. They were built for a different purpose, so if this is what they are now, they have to upgrade them to be up to the job. I was just listening to Limited Resources earlier and they admitted they basically didn't play M20 in paper at all, so their perspective on the whole set is shaped by the bot drafts.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 20, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Since they're clearly not planning to move away from bots any time soon, I think people just need to give them feedback on wanting better AI. There's no reason they couldn't have done something about the bows and miscreants over the course of an entire season, or why player choices more generally can't be tracked and fed to the bots (alongside other data) to inform their choices and make them more human-like. Maybe they think having strategies like that available to players made things more fun since it helped newer drafters find an archetype, or maybe they just can't be bothered, who knows.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Wizards/Hasbro probably deserves to take it on the nose for some of the more blatant cash grabs they've done, but so far there's no evidence that they are, and there's no telling if people will eventually get fed up or if squeezing consumers more and more will just keep increasing their profit margins. I think everyone's gut feeling is that people will fall back to Arena when paper gets too expensive, but so far paper's doing better since Arena was introduced, and they've still been pretty stingy with introducing new formats to Arena, so who knows.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

lmao every product absolutely has to be a loot box

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Reprint Chaos Orb you cowards.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

I hope people stop talking about yugioh because it's a painful reminder that while I have disdain for it, yugioh and magic are both childrens card games and most people would not be able to distinguish between them. I prefer to maintain the illusion that I play the serious and grown up game for at least one hour every day so that I can earn imaginary gold coins and rubies and, eventually, a very adult and serious cartoon fox companion who will frolic playfully (but seriously) before my very eyes. Thank you. Thank you.

:same:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

sit on my Facebook posted:

Can someone please explain to me, as if I were a dummy, what buying the mastery pass does for me? Does it only unlock that second row of rewards underneath my current levels in the mastery screen? Surely there must be something else for $35 right

It's not $35, it's 3400 gems, and if you fill it out you get 3500 gems worth of gems and gold combined (assuming you dump the gold into drafting, which is the worst exchange rate) plus all the cosmetics, icrs and packs. If you're not sure if you'll play enough to fill it out, don't buy the pass until you hit a level where you think it's worth it, since rewards are applied retroactively.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

They've said they don't want codes to be as big a factor in this one, and that they made sure there's enough time to max it out without them this time. I'm sure there will still be event xp though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's more an attention grab than a money grab. The point is to keep people playing on a daily or near daily basis so they'll buy more just from continued engagement and keep queues active. That's also why you can't just grind all the xp at once, because they want continuous play rather than frontloaded play.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I finally decided to do the play any cards standard event, and while I hated the simic ramp mirror matches I had, BR Knights has been a lot of fun. Unless I find something I like better next weekend, I think that's what I'll be building toward.

Edit: Oops, wrong thread, but there's obviously some crossover anyway.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 30, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

People are saying he was saying the word negative and cut off partway because he was saying the opponent would have had negative 69 life without the rider.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's hard to watch that and not think the ban is basically a done deal.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ilmucche posted:

You show up to an LGS in a new town and when you register for an event they ask for your username.
"Weedlord bonerhitler"

They should really add a way to let people change their usernames if it's being tied to other poo poo now.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'd much rather see them ban any companions that dominate the meta rather than shotgun printing them until every deck has one.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I might be seeing what I want to see given the part about people being nostalgic about them in ten years, but MaRo seems to concede that companion as implemented is a little busted here:

Part of what makes Magic Magic is that we push boundaries and experiment and try new things. Part of doing that is sometimes things end up stronger than you anticipate.,Trist me in ten years players will be mad about the latest thing and nostalgic about companions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The most reasonable argument is abolish the reserved list and print the ABR duals again, put Badlands in the basic land slot like they do Bloodfell Caves.

I do think there's a good chance they'll reprint them someday, but no way will it be in packs and probably not Standard legal.