Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lone Goat posted:

I'm listening to Arena Decklists pod and Gerry Thompson is taking about an article he's working on that will have like 30 sfm decks but I'm not sure if it's out yet

1. White weenie but with SFM + Batterskull

30. Storm but with SFM + Batterskull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

oryx posted:

I've never seen them pass a dual, but I have gotten passed A+ bomb mythics more than a couple times. Has there been any data released on how the bots choose their cards??

The guy who designed the system (one of the original hosts of LR, maybe first one? Ryan Spain? Maybe?) was on LR and got into the algorithm some.

It starts with hand-made card rankings, kind of like a normal individual card set review.

Bots start with the highest value pick

Bots will eventually lock into a color, then a second color within a certain number of picks (looking at purely colors, not pips as I recall), and HIGHLY prioritize those colors. I think there's some de-prioritization to avoid picking a dual-color card if they're not locked in.

Bots give no thought to curve, except that an efficient card would have a higher value. But if you looked at their deck at the end it might be loaded with 5 drops

After a while, they go back and use human draft data to fine tune the value of picks, which will change around the meta. This is a one- or two-time process, not continuous.

My guess is that humans snap up dual-lands because they want to fill out their collection for deck building, so after the first tuning pass bots love them too? Or they might give them high values to reflect a "real" draft experience where real life people are filling out their collection and won't want to pass rare dual lands.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Tulul posted:

It's a little curious that the +1 permanently transforms instead of exiling and creating a token. I thought they didn't like doing that sort of thing, because it creates memory issues.

Also, does Oko's blue left arm make him Dack's evil twin?

Flickering the Elk lets you “cure” it back to normal, token would be Elk forever

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Everything is loving kicker

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Tibalt posted:

I'm not sure, I just assumed. I'll see if they've clarified it yet.

Giving all the adventure creatures Protection From Swords to Plowshares would be weird, so I'm going to guess that it's part of the Adventure spell resolving that gives it the ability to be cast from exile.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, you're not wrong, it would make a functional difference there. What's the case where that matters enough for them to care about, though?

If it wasn't a delayed trigger as templated, and instead read "Draw 4 cards, deal damage equal to hand size" then you would get a tie if your draw-4 decked yourself while also killing your opponent.

This just kills yourself as templated.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Tibalt posted:

I did, when I first read the reminder text. The Exile zone has been consistently moving away from its origins as outside the game towards a second special graveyard, and they've already made creatures that avoid exile effects in WAR. I could see R&D being willing to move in that direction, and it's not like any of the Adventure cards so far are strong enough for legacy formats even if they escape Swords to Plowshares.

That said, this is probably a much better solution.

My secret tech is Eldrazi Processors to put my opponent's adventures into their graveyard

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jabor posted:

No you can't? You can cast Dive Down after blocking order is chosen, but assigning damage happens at the same time it's actually dealt with no room to respond in between.

At comp REL you missed the chance to cast dive down when you indicated you were going to damage

Casual REL the judge would rewind and explain combat timing

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

drainpipe posted:

Would you be able to cast once upon a time on turn 1 or would you need to have enough resources to possibly cast it before being able to do it for free?

There's a little bit of "when should I cast the spell" because you don't always want to slam it right away, if you don't have 1-drops you want to cast on turn one

You might draw running lands turn one and two, and now when you cast it as your first spell of the game on Turn 2, you know that you're fishing for a creature instead of a land.

resistentialism posted:

Someone find the edge case where the draw player being able to play it on their opponent's first turn somehow matters.

Plays around Force of Negation

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Would have been cooler if this said "... another nonland nontoken permanent..." to let you rummage and make a knight on its way out. Maybe too strong at 4 CMC if that was the case.

I guess you could still do that if you disenchanted this as your last valid permanent, with the ability on the stack.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

The ability to cast the spell after you've attacked with a rogue gets stapled to the exiled card, right? So if opponent kills this, and you attack a couple turns later with another rogue, you can cast the exiled card?

If it didn't, it would be templated like

You may cast cards exiled by ~ if you attacked with a rogue this turn, spend mana blah blah blah

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Retromancer posted:

Playing politics with the troll in EDH seems fun.

Does the choice go around the table in order? So you target your player to the right for the goats, then as the last player could lie and say he'll sac a dude, then just decline and let you whack an opponent?

Also the goats ability targets, so if your one opponent has hexproof they don't get the goats.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, I remember like it was approximately 6 months ago.

Eh, that downside was just a nod to rarity for limited

We had vanilla X-mana X/X in BFZ with Endless One whose only upside was Eldrazi typing

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

neaden posted:

It works against protection if they block your creature you can play this in response and the damage will go through.

There are going to be so many tears because of this

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

InterrupterJones posted:

These both feel durdly as hell and I love them for it.

Also, how would Irencrag Feat work with Thousand Year Storm? Do multiple copies mean "you can only cast one spell the rest of the turn" instances stack, or does the fact that it's "only one" prevent it from stacking?

First one: Add 7R. You can cast only one more spell this turn

Second one (copied somehow, not cast): Add 7R. You can cast only one more spell this turn.

You cast a fireball for X=13 damage. You have now cast one more spell this turn, so no more spells can be cast. You could copy it if you had thousand year storm out, though, because copying is not casting. Cards that are templated as "copy the card, then you can cast it" don't work though

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sampatrick posted:

Can you imagine jumping through all the loops to put a Magic Mirror in play and then your opponent just Teferi bounces it

(I think the card is actually good but still)

Only the active player discards to hand size at EOT, correct? So if you have 20 cards in hand, opponent uses Teferi to bounce your mirror on his turn, you're not discarding 14 cards? You would have an opportunity to cast mirror on your turn to get the static 'no hand size' ability running again?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lone Goat posted:

This doesn't say May on it, did they fix the rule where effects like this can kill the target creature if this has negative power (like, via Befuddle or something)?

If you think using Befuddle to kill the target creature when the ability resolves isn't the most elegant thing you've ever seen, then I don't want to play magic with you

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lone Goat posted:

If it's any consolation, there still hasn't been a U1 2/2 with no downside

Ha, that's wild. Departed Deckhand is ~almost~ all upside.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

LifeLynx posted:

This is spicy in limited. There's usually something useful in your pool that you're not playing, so this grabs that potential 24th card and/or is a 1/4 flier for 1U which is definitely playable.

It's cute in a control deck, the front half is a good blocker to slow the game down

If you have this, you should try to draft a couple real hefty impactful spells that you'd be happy to wish for in a board stall / topdeck war.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

That list of things which includes pod drafting is “The community asked us about these things but it’s not happening in 2020”

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Reprint the non-blue reserve list dual lands

Plus, uh, black lotus I guess

Put the fear of god into the investment community, maybe get them to liquidate their hoards

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Dread Return using the creatures coming out of your grave to bring back the Balustrade you already put in there

This feels like an Abbot and Costello sketch

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pulcinella posted:

For content: If Dragonlord Silumgar looses all abilities, do you loose control of the creature you targeted with its ETB?

No, you don't lose control

https://tappedout.net/mtg-questions/humble-vs-as-long-as-its-in-the-battlefield/

The way to think about it, is that the ability creates a continuous effect on the target creature that "remembers" you're only controlling it for as long as you control Silumgar. If Silumgar loses his abilities after hitting the battlefield, the dork you controlled still looks over and sees Silumgar - the effect isn't tied to Silumgar's text box once the ability goes on the stack.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Hellsau posted:

call the local card shops and pawn shops, let them know to keep an eye out for obviously stolen poo poo fitting the description, and don't trust the cops to help you

Only trust your Fist of Suns, Thraben Inspectors will never help you

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Brownhat posted:

It goes to the top of the graveyard. When you cast it it moves to the stack, then goes back to the graveyard when countered.

Yep. But if it were a card with an ability like "X: Put this into play from graveyard" then the card wouldn't go on the stack, and wouldn't move to the top. The "Cast" is the word doing the heavy lifting here.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

A big flaming stink posted:

smdh if you don't play dawn of the second sun

e: aw poo poo, bant wilderness rec + sphinx rev + nexus is gonna be loving horrible

Threeferi to give Approach flash, to cast the first copy on end step then the second copy on your turn with no chance for response because of his static ability

Mmmmm

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Katana Gomai posted:

While you're learning how to play Doom Foretold, please don't be the person who thinks they get to draw a card etc. if they have to sacrifice their own Doom Foretold.

Are there any instant speed sac outlets that can sacrifice it for value or do you have to use enchantment removal while the trigger is on the stack to get the draw

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

evilweasel posted:

if there were magic words you could say to destroy a promissory estoppel claim, then the claim as a practical matter would not exist

I HEREBY DECLARE THAT YOUR RELIANCE ON THE PROMISE WAS, AND CONTINUES TO BE, UNREASONABLE

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

When they banned Time Spiral in Urza's Saga, I had just gotten my fourth.

They offered a redemption program where if you sent them a Time Spiral you got (1) booster pack lol

They don't do that any more

But they do have a redemption program where you send WOTC a crisp five-dollar bill and they give you a pull at a slot machine that spits out an Oko worth $65 sometimes

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Goose is a very good mana accelerant/fixer with downside*. It's fine.

*unless you care about food or the life gain that food represents

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Arcturas posted:

Why are there enchantment creatures? Just to give destroy-enchantment spells more effects?

Constellation is returning, which is “cares about enchantments ETBing” so it juices those.

Imagine we’ll get some other stuff that cares about enchantments in interesting ways, like Starfield of Nyx

And Starfield Mystic is in standard right now, but it would need quite a shell to be playable

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

LifeLynx posted:

Rumor is that a Walgreens in North Carolina mistakenly received and then put out for purchase a bunch of Theros packs. If true, I would love to hear the story of how they got there.

If you had a box of Theros right now, how would you turn it into the most money

EBay? Sell it back to wizards?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rinkles posted:

escape cost is pretty steep, no?

e:or did you mean some other card?

Escape is like Retrace except instead of discarding a land you're delving and paying more mana

If you're in a board stall and have your opponent at 8 life, you'll win the game in a couple turns if you have 9 cards in your GY

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sickening posted:

I am not worried about this card. Given the issue with balance lately, how likely is it we are about to see something broken with a mechanic like this? I would say the chances are high.

There's gonna be a pushed Escape card and we're going to hate it, because you'll have to play through the same card 6 times in a game

This card is just the "better limited card than it seems, 2-of finisher in budget control decks"

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

I wager one Felidar Guardian that SCG splits with WOTC on the Pioneer banlist for at least one event before 6 months are up

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Tubgoat posted:

:doh: Thank you.

Also a less fraught death-related one would be "death by a thousand cuts"

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ItBreathes posted:

Isn't that a terrible Kamigawa spell?

Man this is a worse rate than that new Escape spell that escapes for 3B

Death of a Thousand Stings

I guess the gimmick is that you can use it to splice onto it repeatedly? but at 5 mana that's pretty tough - and not unconditional

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sickening posted:

So what is getting banned today?

If I had to go by folks who I suspect have access to insider knowledge it would be nyxthos.

Oko so that there's at least one format where he isn't most of the meta

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

LifeLynx posted:

It's pretty much this. All their planned announcements for everything else happen at 11 AM EST. For them to go "eh we'll announce something around lunchtime" when everyone's waiting to see them set expectations for the new format they're all excited about is silly.

Don't get stuck on hyperbole or whatever, I'm not outraged by this, it's just that I'm rolling my eyes at it.

Why roll your eyes that the weekly bans happen after a morning meeting, while the four-times-a-year bans are discussed for weeks in advance

Should they make their salaried employees work over the weekend, or make the decision Friday and wait til Monday morning to announce ignoring any tournaments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sickening posted:

No one is asking anyone to work weekends. Shut up already.

I'm not asking anyone to work weekends, just rolling my eyes