Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Some Goon posted:

I don't think it's been mentioned but mtgo is getting new draft format: Solo drafting, two picks out of a pack then it's discarded and you get a new pack, 18 packs total. First up is all the Rav sets less War of the Spark and something else I don't remember.
what's the loving point of that? see who can randomly win the spin of the "Wheel of On-Color Bombs"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

DangerDongs posted:

: MTGA talk, win your 4 games a day and don't blow your gold on stupid poo poo
gently caress you full art Godzuki Sprite Dragons are not "stupid poo poo"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Wasnt there a solidly tier 2 tempered steel deck in Mirrodin 2? Or am I imagining things?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Guys Spinning Wheel is completely bonkers in Eldraine draft and people don't respect it. I've won so many games where they tapped out to put a lethal threat on the board, I untap, tap it down with the wheel and swing for game. That it ramps and smooths out your colors is like, gravy.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Varinn posted:

my names guy teferi and this is hedrons, hydras and hexmages

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Framboise posted:

It's like the post had Storm

:eyepop:
throw a RT at your witcher if you feel so inclined

https://twitter.com/shrecknet/status/1299006030018469890?s=19

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Here's my problem with brewing right now, and maybe it's just because we're weeks away from four sets rotating and a new set being added, but basically any card I look at and try to build around, no matter what color it is, always leads me to "add forests and all the ramp, and hey you can splash for Uro, and and and" and it just leads me to UG goodstuff. Like, I appreciate that green is playable now, lord knows there were a few decades there where decks would import Goyf and call it a day, but it seems impossible to brew anything right now that doesn't lead straight back to UG ramp.

Someone suggest a deck where I can profitably cast one of the Ultimatums.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Its always weird when they do that but dont bring back the keyword, like the Eldraine faerie with Affinity for artifacts.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Drewjitsu posted:

Shrecknet posted:

I look at and try to build around, no matter what color it is, always leads me to "add forests and all the ramp, and hey you can splash for Uro, and and and" and it just leads me to UG goodstuff. it seems impossible to brew anything right now that doesn't lead straight back to UG ramp.

Someone suggest a deck where I can profitably cast one of the Ultimatums.
Yoman Elementals fits the bill. You get to genesis into terror of the peaks for the combo kill, or just accrue a lot of value off of spiking 5 lands onto the table with Omnath on the table. You can't lose*!
    4 Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath
Literally just UG ramp with worse top-end :(

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

gently caress the haters cracking packs is awesome. Stupid monkey brain like surprises in crinkle paper.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

loving why.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Aranan posted:

Although weirdly, he always has a much sharper image than I do... even though it's the same camera and we both have high enough speed connections that it shouldn't be the limiting factor. It's weird.
As someone with a film degree, add more lights, especially indirect lights

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Eight-Six posted:

I'm a new M:tG player as much as I understand the basic mechanics of play, and I'm looking to play with my roommates who are deep enough into M:tG to have a few binders of cards and used to go to tournaments in the before times.
card kingdom has these decks that are made up of commons and uncommons designed to work together and show stuff off with a few junk rares that help. Theyre :tenbux: apiece and are very cool to grab like 5 of and just fight them against each other

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tulul posted:

Holy hatebears, Batman

*hateboar

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

He's completely correct, they are.

Only in paper due to all the shuffling; in digital theyre perfectly fine (also bc they are cheap in digital)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kind of mad Frantic Inventory exists when Accumulated Knowledge was already there, which does the same thing only funnier in the mirror match and would be a good thing to have in modern.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AlphaKeny1 posted:

there seems to be something seriously missing from the set in terms of flavor. Like oh cool here are lands that do stuff, and if you have a party you get benefits. But then what. What else. How is this interesting.
I look at each set on the timmy/johnny/spike/vorthos axis and this one seems to be right at the center with mild johnny leanings. Theres nothing there for spikes or vorthoi (sp?) and only the tiniest timmy applications. Like yeah the flip lands are cool in terms of being untapped duals but spike will just import those into his good deck from last season and ignore the set. Its probably a dope set to draft but for constructed its bland and uninspired. The idea of "people going on a fantasy adventure" is like, what I thought magic was this whole time

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

lol what if Uro but no flashback?

e: until Uro is banned, this is like getting 8whack or Owling Mine where the card was designed for decks that didn't have the effect, but the decks that do now just have effect 5-8

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 5, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

dragon enthusiast posted:

the original zendikar had the following mechanics and quasi-mechanics:
landfall
kicker
quests
traps
allies
other land poo poo

whereas ZR has the following
landfall
kicker
party
modal dfcs

strictly speaking from the mechanics themselves the original zendikar was a lot more dense in terms of adventure feeling.

Original Zendikar was 3 sets, this is only 1 and then it's off to God of War land. I wish they'd go back to 2 & 2 per year with no core set, the "create a world and mechanics/expand and reframe those mechanics and that world" was the best way to do things IMO. One-and-done is kinda lame.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It does 4 unique things all of which are moderately useful and doesnt require shuffling. I can see this being the replacement for K-reach going forward

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Holy poo poo there’s no way this interaction works this way

https://twitter.com/yoman_5/status/1302737480916049920?s=21

some of yall never got to Tragic Slip a Wild Beastmaster with its effect on the stack and it shows

e:

quote:

If this creature’s power is negative as its ability resolves, X is considered to be 0. (This is a change from previous rulings.)
(2017-07-14)
:suicide:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

edit: talking about standard now, not Birds or whatever was in standard for 20 years until they stopped.
Still mad Giant Spider didn't stay in core set, esp. after flavor text on the last printing.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

3/3 for three that replaces itself with another 3/3 doesn't seem half bad

YggdrasilTM posted:

That Hydra seems really good.
They weren't really playable last time but maybe a more competitive cost (but also more awkward) will make it good? I think you'd need to lean all in on the counter-stealing or play it in an The Ozolith deck to be better than that Armadon (which is very good)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

This is tje most hilariously on-the-nose "make it stop" since Samurai of the Pale Curtain at least, and Seedtime if we're being honest

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Thread already decided the 2G "do all the Uro stuff" sorcery was bad, so if they cast Uro once then get hit w this it seems like a good bargain

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

evilweasel posted:

even if they are guaranteed to have this in their hand, 2g "do all the uro stuff" sorcery is a lot worse than "2g do all the uro stuff, then force the opponent to spend five mana and a card or bad things happen to them"

I am assuming you also hit their innkeeper, merfolk, lovestruck beast and a human token

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Maybe some of you guys are so used to the aggro posts that they don't even seem abnormal I guess.

This is why control posts need Cyclonic Rift back.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

They couldn't say under its owner's control?

I'm more curious about cards in your graveyard that you don't own :confused:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The lands im most psyched for are the ones that are just untapped, untyped duals. Ive had to ship so many opening draws that are godly UR hands that have three islands. If I had four more untapped duals that would be two islands, one mountain instead. Its honestly incredibly boring but very very powerful.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Boco_T posted:

Release one of these in black border

Instant speed land destruction? too pushed, try again R&D

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

skip three. take us right to the four sided cards. hypercards. i'm ready.
You are educated stupid. The real answer is Modal Single-Faced Cards

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fish Of Doom posted:

I can't believe that if it weren't for bans, we would have had a standard where Oko, Uro, Growth Spiral, Veil of Summer, Nissa, Hydroid Krasis, and Ugin were all going to be in the same format.
and Once Upon a Time :devil:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

fadam posted:

you can tell it's midrange because it sucks to play and it sucks to play against

:pusheen:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Uro is a wonky rear end card and in the running for the most ridiculous card printed this year.
its not even the most ridiculous card with a three letter name that ends in "o" printed this year. :eng101:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Infinite Karma posted:

Midrange is just a deck that plays like control versus aggro decks and aggro versus control matchups. It's... in the middle of the speed vs. value spectrum.

So in the mid-range between aggro and control then :downs:

Meanwhile no one is talking about the best kind of deck, Prison!

Every time a Smokestack is sleeved up, Ken Nagle cries.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Some Goon posted:

They don't like the idea since 'did you draw your one-of' is a higher level of variance than they think is good for the game.

And theyre right

If youve ever played YuGiOh youd see this in action. Every 40 card deck has 10-20 literally immutable restricted cards that must be in, and most games are "did I draw my busted cards first"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

odiv posted:

Successful companies have growing revenue year over year and shrinking costs. That's how it works, it's just math.
I am positive companies can do that forever. There's no penalty to freezing salaries, laying off people and making the survivors pick up the slack, cutting QA and testing while pumping out more and more product. Just pure profit, definitely not unsustainable.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Two-headed cow
[1W] 2WW
Adventure enchantment creature cow
Add a Second Head token to target creature you control with no Second Head tokens.
Whenever you sacrifice a creature, you may discard a Second Head token instead.
[adventure]
Put a Second Head token on target creature you control.
1/2
am I being whooshed or did you just reinvent Regeneration?

Silhouette posted:

WW: Destroy target artifact or enchantment

Kicker 1W: Destroy all artifacts or enchantments
this isnt kicker its overload

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

question, has there ever been a goblin planeswalker? if not, there should be.
as noted, Daretti

but it should have been Squee :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

fadam posted:

Regardless of if they deserved to get banned or weren’t actually racist or whatever, banning the cards was the bare minimum they could do to get people off their back without having to address any of the issues being brought up, and it worked for the most part.
they shouldntve banned them, they should have done what Warner Brothers did with the 14 racist Looney Tunes and released tip cards with Whoopi Goldberg on them explaining that they were a product of their time, racist then and racist now, but to eradicate them would be untrue to their past and prevent moving forward