Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm getting excited for spoilers to start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I guess I'm playing Knight tribal

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

MikeCrotch posted:

Unless I'm mistaken there are instant adventures as well

There are Instant speed adventures as well. This might be a dumb question but could you then cast the creature right after you are done with the adventure at instant speed? Sort of like Flash?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
The singleton event a few weeks back has been on of my favorites. I played against a few of those Blue Mill decks with 30 Patient Petitioners or whatever they were called. Mostly those games came down to me having some sort of graveyard recursion, waiting until some of my beasts had a shitload of Undertow or whatever that Golgari mechanic is called, recursioning things back to the battlefield / hand and then winning. In fact that singleton event is what made me do my jank rear end Golgari / Drak recursion deck that I have a lot of fun playing.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

I made a very janky Golgari deck that is all about getting Drakuseth, Maw of the Flames in the Graveyard, and then using Bond of Revival to pull it out and win the game. It wins pretty frequently but I mostly play unranked matches. Essentially the best starting hand is like 2 lands (1B, 1G), Erstwhile Trooper, Drak, Bond, Llanowar Elf, Leyline Prowler. I take a mulligan if I don't have a bond in my starting hand.

4x Llanowar Elves (ramp obviously)
2x Status // Statue (Creature / Enchantment removal, and in a pinch potentially give a creature deathtouch)
3x Kraul Harpooner (to take out enemy flyers)
4x Glowspore Shaman (chance to mill drak into gy, but also make sure I can get 5 mana to play Bond of Revival)
4x Gorging Vulture (see above, but also healing when I mill a creature)
4x Erstwhile Trooper (use them to sac a drak in my hand)
2x Leyline Prowler (ramp)
3x Deathsproud (ramp and removal)
2x Golgari Findbroker (use them to pull Kraul Harpooner out if I need flying removal, if not I use them for Underrealm Lich)
4x Bond of Revival (the key card in the deck)
1x Underrealm Lich (I would get more of them, but I don't have that many mythic rare wild cards and it's not like I take this deck seriously. Use it to make sure I DON'T mill a Bond of Revival)
4x Drakuseth, Maw of Flames (The "I win" button of this deck, deals roughly ~17 damage, per swing. Can clear entire boards at once)
2x Molderhulk (Back up in case for some reason you can't get a Drak in play)
7x Swamp
6x Forest
1x Overgrown Tomb
3x Temple of Malady (So you don't accidentally mill a Bond of Revival)

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Argas posted:

Sounds hilarious. I kind of want to run it IRL.

It's very hilarious because most of the time once I get Drak into play it's an auto concede.

EDIT: I just calculated the price in Paper Magic and it's like $12

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 6, 2019

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Argas posted:

Too bad about rotation soon. And probably wouldn't hurt to have a sideboard.

But I have been wanting to play a Golgari deck (I got my hands on some JP art Vraska sleeves so now I feel obligated to run something Golgari) so hopefully it can be retuned when Eldraine comes out.

I think the only thing in it rotating out is Llanowar Elves

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Framboise posted:

ngl a deck named unlucky fried kitten is making me vaguely interested in standard

It's great, when Cauldron Familiar comes into play you gain a life, opponent loses a life. You sac it to Witches Oven that generates a food. You use the Food to return Cauldron Familiar to your hand, put it back into play, rinse, wash, repeat. If you can get multiple Oven's out so much the better.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Is there anyone that pre ordered the Secret Lair lands but doesn't want the arena code? I would be willing to pay for the arena code!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I really wish I had the brain power to learn all the 3 color names.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Companion
1 Lurrus of the Dream Den (IKO) 226

Deck
4 Drannith Healer (IKO) 10
4 Zenith Flare (IKO) 217
4 Memory Leak (IKO) 95
4 Go for Blood (IKO) 122
4 Startling Development (IKO) 68
4 Boon of the Wish-Giver (IKO) 43
4 Footfall Crater (IKO) 118
4 Valiant Rescuer (IKO) 36
5 Mountain (IKO) 271
4 Flourishing Fox (IKO) 13
7 Plains (IKO) 262
4 Drannith Stinger (IKO) 113
4 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
4 Frostveil Ambush (IKO) 52

You can use Lurrus or Zirda. Zirda is nice because it makes Valiant Rescuer only 1 mana to cycle instead of 2, but that is the only difference. I rarely (if ever) actually use Lurrus.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah we don’t talk about it enough but the companions being Hybrid instead of gold is a big flaw in their design. Lurrus wouldn’t need a ban in Vintage if it cost 1WB.

I never thought about how the Hybrid mana really makes them easier to play in a wider array of decks / colors.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Sol Ring is my favorite mana rock in EDH

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I got my Godzilla Lands today along with a Nissa, Who Shakes The World foil card. That was a welcome surprise.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I got the Godzilla Lands and I would like a little display case for my desk. This is proving to be more complicated than I thought. Any recommendations for display case?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Take em to your local framer and see what they can do.

Probably the best idea.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I was always a fan of Jesper Myrfors. At one point I was trying to make a Myrfors deck.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm so glad for the really diverse competitive meta right now.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I had totally forgotten about Sorrows Path. I forgot how horrendously lovely it is. I wonder if it was ever played unironically.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
There was a website someone recommended that had the spoilers all combined in one place. What page is that?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
For some reason (don't know why) I was watching a guy open Unlimited Packs on Twitch (he had 3). I missed the first pack but the 2nd pack had Winter Orb as the rare and the 3rd pack had a loving Island (https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/azhejs/the_rare_island_and_the_missing_plains/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body) instead of any rare what so ever.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Bust Rodd posted:

That sounds like a repack and not a printing error.

Apparently Mark Rosewater has said it was a thing (per the Reddit thread).

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Still sounds like a repack, at least the island one, per Rosewater the rare island was changed for unlimited.

That is totally possible.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
If they ever do a Jesper Myrfors drop I will buy 10 of them.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

honestly, bring back jesper myrfors

gently caress yeah

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I bought the Bob Ross lands and got this message in my email from Wizards:

*This content is not available until your preorder is billed.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

A Moose posted:

Yeah, I saw that too, but they also include a link in the email to be billed right away.

I bought 1 single Bob Ross non-foil set, because I liked watching The Joy of Painting when they first put it up on twitch. Not sure what I'm going to do with them when I get them, maybe make a 5-color commander deck where they're the only basics or something. Or just use them to make a nice first couple pages in my binder?

I'm also not 100% sure if we get the arts in Arena. I think that part said something about a sleeve, and they're giving out a free code for the lands to everyone.

Edit: looked it up, if you bought the secret lair, you get 5, they're giving the other 5 away over the next 2 weeks

DelightfulMeadow
IslandWilderness
TreeFriend
MoveMountains
HappySwamp

Here are the codes for the MTGA lands that are available right now.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I remember in high school my friends and I made proxy decks and they were so much fun, and so absurd at the same time.

I think one of the reasons that I never quit loving the game (despite not playing it for large swaths of my life) is because it just evokes such a strong feeling of nostalgia for me.

Arena had made it so accessible again and I love Arena for that, but sitting around the kitchen table arguing about the rules is something I miss a lot.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I need to find my Ice Age snow covered lands now

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I don't understand panglacial wurm / chromatic sphere

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Has there ever been a set with a strong mono color focus? Something like "If you control only permanents of 1 color, all permanents you control of that color gain something"

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

mandatory lesbian posted:

also i think there is a sword in a lake too?

The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by devine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Squinky v2.0 posted:

remove zenith flare

Make Zenith Flare only target creatures or Planeswalkers and you are much better off.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Yep I'm buying this one.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Has anyone got their Bob Ross drop yet?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Bugsy posted:

Just got the shipping email from wotc about the Seb lair so those will be delivering soon.

Oh good I've been getting antsy about my Bob Ross secret lair so this makes me feel better!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

babypolis posted:

So I found my old card binder and I guess I have some actually valuable stuff? A playset of Windswept Heaths and some Chalices of the Void at least, and probably some other random crap. What would be best way to sell them?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679632&pagenumber=435&perpage=40

Here is the buying / selling thread on SA and it was a pleasure to use for me

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Thank you for the link to resleeved. This podcast is a nostalgia trip and so fun to listen to.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

A Moose posted:

Do you think its more common for people to buy 1-2 secret lairs, or do most people buy all/none of them? I imagine most people would buy 0, going by how popular arena is because its free to play. but also, there are people who buy cases of double masters and stuff like that so they're probably also buying 3 of each secret lair.

I've bought 3 over the last year. Godzilla Lands, Bob Ross Lands and the Black Girls Who Code. I don't play paper but I think the artwork is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I just got my Black is Magic Secret Lair. Holy poo poo those are pretty cards.