Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Framboise posted:

It's very possible that Oko might have a passive ability too, since that seems to be the new hotness with planeswalkers.

I thought they said passive abilities on Planeswalkers was specific to War of the Spark and not something they want to make an evergreen design thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Wow they really did the stupidest loving thing possible.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

If food is really easy to create then stuff like the goose is gonna be very strong, even if food tokens themselves are underwhelming as hell. Should've either been free to sacrifice or did something more significant (like, I dunno, scry or get a card back from the yard or play an extra land or something). . If it's scarce or the effects are bad then it's gonna flop hard.

The goose itself is playable as a mana dork.

JerryLee posted:

Free life as a rider on whatever other spell or ability isn't bad, of course, but given that the bonus is pound-for-pound weaker than drawing cards or generating mana, you'd think they would have been a little bit more aggressive with it. Compare food 1-to-1 with clue tokens, which were a playable but not busted mechanic, and it just seems much less powerful in every way. I'm pretty sure gaining 3 life is not the same value as drawing a card, and on top of it, these have an extra cost, albeit one that may not be relevant in most cases (the tap to activate).

e: Of course, yes, we're making this evaluation in a near-vacuum, having seen a single unexciting food enabler, so there could be stuff to come that'll make food blow our socks off.

Wasn't there a design article a while back about how much lifegain you would need to get per point of mana cost in order for a pure lifegain spell or effect to be worth playing over a more powerful thing like drawing cards or scrying? I think the rate was 5 life for one white mana (2 or more for other colors or colorless) or something like that?

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 4, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

It's so good that it's in a standard legal set and I has never even heard of it til that post

It is extremely good in GRN limited, but yeah waste of a card name.

Personally I'm still waiting on that Prophetic Bolt reprint.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

So, after you hit Mastery level 72, there are just no more rewards unless you buy the loot box thing with the cat? That's real lovely.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

This is phenomenal.

Also they are really killing it with the flavor in this set.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Elyv posted:

This is very good

This is loving nuts.

LifeLynx posted:

The Making Magic article is a great read.

- There was originally just a Camelot set, but Magic's done High Fantasy so often. Playtesters didn't even notice they were playing a Camelot set because they just had a Knights deck, and Knights are everywhere in Magic. The average person also can't name more than about a dozen things to do with Camelot's stories. The Fairy Tale set combining with it gave the Knights something to fight.

- These cards make up the Cinderella story. Read the article, it's really neat. They experimented with a lot of key points of the story making it into cards, so even though he didn't say it, there's lots of material for a Return to Eldraine set.

- There's lots of overlap between fairy tales, like most stories have a handsome prince, the Big Bad Wolf is in Red Riding Hood and also The Three Little Pigs, etc. That made it easier to make cards that satisfy multiple stories, because you can have one card represent multiple fairy tale tropes. Rumpelstiltskin and the spinning wheel are mentioned, so it's likely he's getting a card. Other things mentioned are the Black Knight, the cow that got traded for magic beans, and of course the Gingerbread Man.

I think going with the standard fairy tales is fine, especially since there are enough variations of them to draw on darker elements where you need to. Hopefully if we get a Return to Eldraine set they draw on more obscure stuff like The Seven Swan Brothers, the Soldier and the Devil, etc (basically anything from the Jim Henson Storyteller mini-series).

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Feels like the casting costs are backwards here.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Good thing Thalia is a Soldier and not a Knight.

Edit: There are enough sweepers in Standard to keep Knights from being bonkers, I think, but they really aren't holding back from just giving it lots of ways up be a threat.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 10, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

edit: oh god naughty bog, i just got it

This is going to be a real problem in Limited, sheesh.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

What a dumb non-controversy. Congrats to the flaghumpers out there I guess.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Kild posted:

standard doesn't have great equipment for him atm to take advantage of his 3rd line

Too bad Sigiled Sword of Valeron is rotating out.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Nice shot in the arm for Modern D&T.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Hmmm is the self-hate black card playable MD even without a way of abusing exile (in Standard)? It's usually a 2 for 1 against you but it's an exiling Thoughtseize. And oh man if you are playing against a deck where what you want to take is black.

Depends on how the format shakes out, but I think there's a case to be made for it especially since Esper and Bx aggro will be extremely strong and all over the place post-rotation.

Edit: Ogre Knight owns. I can't tell what's going on in that Knight of the Keep art.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 12, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

dragon enthusiast posted:

Stonecoil Serpent X
Artifact Creature - Snake
Reach, Trample, Protection from multicolor
Stonecoil Serpent enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
0/0

Obviously this is going to be jammed in every deck for the next two years but I feel like there's some potential in for an aggro deck with this, the landfall proliferate guy, and some of the better counter stuff running around.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The art in this set is really drat good. Irencrag Feat is cool enough that I'm tempted to get a print to hang on the wall somewhere.

What's the dumbest thing you could do with Irencrag Feat in standard? Turn 3 Drakuseth or Big Chan?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

At least it's not an enchantment.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I guess Esper didn't have enough good stuff already? Christ almighty.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

This feels like something that was watered down at the last minute but I guess there's enough effects that care about lifegain in Standard for it to produce some decent value.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Seems strong. Pretty easy to ramp this out on turn 4 or 5 and then just run over your opponent. Even in a straight up aggro deck probably worth running a couple just to keep the gas coming.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

YggdrasilTM posted:

Deathless Knight
B/G B/G B/G B/G
Creature - Skeleton Knight
Haste

Whenever you gain life for the first time each turn, return Deathless Knight from your graveyard to your hand.

4/2

This is very solid.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Card owns, art owns.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

TacoNight posted:

Is "Syr" pronounced the same as "sir"? Not sure how else to pronounce it, so I'll just be calling everyone "sir so-and-so", which just sounds like using the male form of a gendered word as the default. Not great.

It's "sear" like a steak.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Look if some grognard at my LGS can pronounce "surveil" like "servile" then I'm sure you can get away with just going hogwild with this one. People will figure it out. There was a guy who used to refer to Vulshok Morningstar as "ole Lucifer" no matter how many confused looks he got. The sky is the limit.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 20, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I have no idea what this set is going to play like in Limited beyond the occasional draft where someone gets every single good Knight and wrecks poo poo.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

one of the MTGO queues is "draft in pod, play against anyone" which most people are fine with.

Yeah this would be the ideal and seems like it would avoid the worst problems of being stuck in queue forever, unless you're drafting in the middle of the night or something.

Does the Mastery Pass change significantly for Eldraine, as far as what comes with it? I'm really not a fan of the Technicolor cat thing.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Retromancer posted:

Is there any evidence that Magic is doing well now because they've just done a bunch of good sets in a row? I'd want to see numbers now vs. BFZ/SOI/Kaladesh block when standard was just a mess.

The Hasbro quarterly earning reports over the past few years have shown that Magic was doing well and Arena has apparently outperformed expectations as well as giving paper sales a bump. Someone linked to them in the old thread but I'm sure you could find it elsewhere online pretty easily.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

What decks are people using for the Ranked Standard 2020 thing on Arena? I'm assuming that jamming BW Knights will work, but given that the format is BO1 there might be some better alternatives out there.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

No Wave posted:

when you think about it the cheap, lazy, and undesirable foil implementation on Arena is very faithful to the original.

Have they addressed why Arena starts to run like dogshit after you play more than 1-2 matches in a row yet? I'm assuming this isn't a problem if you have a relatively new computer or tablet but they really ought to figure this poo poo out since the Beta is apparently ending and we're getting the "official" launch.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Mezzanon posted:

I’m a huge fan of this esper doom foretold deck that I saw on twitter

This looks like it would be annoying as hell to play against.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

sit on my Facebook posted:

And by "maxed out" you mean leveling up all the way to the top?

That does actually seem pretty good, although that level grind seems daunting

It's not, I hit high 80s during the M20 season just by drafting like twice a week and playing enough constructed to clear my quests.

It's obviously a money grab but it's not as egregious as it seems at first. I will probably buy the Mastery Pass for Eldraine since I will most likely be drafting it way more than I did M20.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Hellsau posted:

Emry was a mistake.

What deck is running Emry?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Second day of the prerelease and people already claiming the new set ruined standard. Has to be some kind of record.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

Here have a code.

j1w-SHaG-Rjj

Much obliged. Why'd they switch up the promo code from a free sealed/draft to just packs this time around?

Also the Arena animation for Questing Beast is maybe the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Who is this supposed to appeal to? Time travelers from 2014?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

What is the best deck to power through this Standard challenge on Arena? Please don't say Esper Manse.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Jesus the Cavalcade deck is so loving degenerate I think it might be the one to play tomorrow

What's the list?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

little munchkin posted:

manse is dead because the golos matchup is like 10-90.

if you can find a good mono black or mono red list that might get the job done but it's probably just bant golos

I just crushed 3 games in a row using this:

2 Chandra, Acolyte of Flame (M20) 126
4 Chandra's Spitfire (M20) 132
4 Tin Street Dodger (RNA) 120
4 Runaway Steam-Kin (GRN) 115
4 Scorch Spitter (M20) 159
4 Skewer the Critics (RNA) 115
4 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
4 Shock (M19) 156
4 Cavalcade of Calamity (RNA) 95
3 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
17 Mountain (RTR) 265
2 Skarrgan Hellkite (RNA) 114
4 Footlight Fiend (RNA) 216

2 Cosmotronic Wave (GRN) 95
2 Embereth Shieldbreaker (ELD) 122
3 Experimental Frenzy (GRN) 99
4 Redcap Melee (ELD) 135
4 Scorching Dragonfire (ELD) 139

Slight tweak on what was posted earlier and the sideboard doesn't matter for BO1. If you cut the Hellkites you could probably get by with ~18 lands but seems pretty solid so far. Thane seems like a suboptimal choice over what else is available. There seem to be a lot of BG food decks in the Arena queue so I'm thinking of going to 3 Skewer and 3 Spitfire to make room for some Tibalts.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 6, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Tubgoat posted:

:hmmyes:
Seriously, gently caress Field of the Dead so loving hard. I didn't think it was gonna be any good when it was spoiled but it's actually loving bullshit.

Reprint Sowing Salt, tbh.

Honestly I don't know why we couldn't have gotten a Tec Edge or Ghost Quarter reprint in M20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

in what fuckin sad universe is a number that pathetically low wishful thinking or boasting

It's higher than whatever single digits they were stuck in for the first ~20 odd years of the game. But I guess it also depends on if by "community" you mean people who participate in some level of organized play or if you mean just anyone who has ever bought a few packs or a booster box and turned some cards sideways around the kitchen table.

Honestly WOTC should be making a huge push to get more women into MTG through Arena. The lack of chat interface and social network features cuts down dramatically on the amount of sexist bullshit and harassment anyone has to deal with. Even my wife is like "oh put that on the tablet so I can try it out" which is more interest than she's ever shown in MTG, ever.