Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

Magic: the Gathering is cool and good.

Disagree.

Brownhat posted:

Is it worth trying to unload my playset of Bazaar of Baghdad now, since Dredge is effectively dead?

Lol yes the deck that didn't even play Misstep 2 years ago is dead because some of its dredges will be minus one now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/OwenTweetenwald/status/1166837429690494977?s=19

Huh. This might be the first actual apology I've seen for this type of thing. Also it taught me that apparently I hadn't unfollowed him on Twitter.

Brownhat posted:

It didn't? Because I sure remember playing at Eternal Weekend 2017 with Misstep, after seeing it start getting played in like April/May of that year.

I've been defeated by rounding off a few months!!!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

little munchkin posted:

"For reasons completely unrelated to the failure of my rebranding attempt two days ago, I suddenly see the error of my past actions."

Yeah, I mean it's not great. But it's at least an apology. Literally the first of its kind.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

I have a prediction for the new walker:
Her plus is some kind of incremental advantage, her minus is somen kind of removal, and her ult effectively wins you the game.

Wild if true

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

teddust posted:

So I'm seeing a lot of sword of light and shadow in modern, where in legacy fire and ice is the norm. What's the reason for that?

True-Name.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Hellsau posted:

also why the gently caress do I need to restart Arena after every 6-7 games to stop it from visibly chugging, come on Wizards

It's really bad and it gets worse with every update. I can't play 2 matches now without it being almost unplayable. It was doing other weird things last night too. My sideboarding would just end with like 10 seconds left and it randomly decided that a card I had highlighted for Command the Dreadhorde wasn't actually selected even though it was glowing yellow, which led to me eventually losing a game that would have got me to gold.

This is what we said all along. Batterskull is just toooo good against the turn 3.5 deck that has no way to stop a 1/2!!!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

MTG Arena is (for all our complaining) a reasonably good digital implimentation of standard and will let you jam out at all hours practicing evaluating the game state, choosing lines of play, and other skills that will translate however you end up playing.

Seconding Arena being a decent way to get into the game. Just be aware that if current trends persist, you'll need a supercomputer to run it by the end of the year. I also would strongly recommend against drafting on Arena. It's fun in person with some friends though.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Hellsau posted:

Yeah playing a bunch of Omniscience drafts reminded me just how much I hate bot drafts. The cards you want in Omniscience drafts are mostly garbage, so it's fine, but you get to see how absurd the individual card rankings are. Like, Unsummon is some sort of insanely high pick for the bots.

I got a 3rd pack 8th pick Overcome and I'm just trying to figure how that would ever be possible. The first pick was an insane bomb and the other 6 bots weren't in green? From the same pack, my rare was the green leyline which did not wheel. :shrug:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

The WAR planeswalkers were a test run for getting rid of artifacts, enchantments, instants, and sorceries and replacing them with planeswalkers

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Framboise posted:

show me the faeries wotc

Wotc: ok

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDmGr1HWwAEgaVG?format=jpg&name=large

Edit: also a 2/2 flying faerie for UG that taps for U/G

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 4, 2019

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

This Brawl thing is by a huge amount the most unfun event they've ever had on Arena.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

fadam posted:

I get that there are different strokes for different folks, and I understand that Magic is a game that appeals to a broad spectrum of interests, but I will never understand why people like singleton lmfao. What is the appeal of Magic with the worst part (variance) cranked up? I guess I've only played it during arena events, so maybe its a lot better with a tuned deck.

One of the things I like is you get to play with and against the sweet cards that weren't quite good enough. Something like Dovin Baan or Mu Yanling that just aren't quite good enough for their format, or just have better options. Or if you're playing a deck built around a commander, you find weird build around cards that didn't have enough support.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Tainen posted:

If any of the Brawl exclusive cards break into standard...

https://twitter.com/starcityben/status/1170026605248503809?s=21

Lol that mana rock is going to be $15.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I can't be the only one who wants his "on an adventure" card to have 3 unicorns, right?

uggy posted:

God those names all suck, it’s the normal sit around making puns poo poo like har har look at how loving smart we are, we came up with names literally anybody could with the task “name a female gingerbread person” also maybe toss a got name in there

It’s like when Chicago had an alligator in a pond recently and the names were mostly just Chicago gator pun names

They own actually

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ShadeofBlue posted:

Oh I know what the principle is, I'm just saying that it doesn't work very well in my experience. Ranger-Captain doesn't really time walk the opponent unless they literally have neither a creature, nor any instants. That's not a particularly common scenario. As for the mana, Grixis is Dimir + battle rage, so it's not any different.

Hex parasite is really bad. You don't need to play cards like it in GDS, because you have plenty of ways to control your life total that don't put you down a card. I don't see why you would want it in Mardu either.

2WW Hatred with protection included is powerful :shrug:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

It's so you can see what cards you draw before choosing what you target. See also: Dream Eater, Hypothesizzle. This isn't hard to figure out :shrug:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

Right, player b said that the attacking creature would put 2 damage on each creature and then he would dive down one of them to prevent it from being destroyed. Which is impermissible via the rules, due to damage not going on the stack. If you're letting damage happen, the creatures die.

And if you dive down the second mt, instead of the first, that's just a straight up misplay.

Damage doesn't go on the stack, but you choose the order to assign lethal damage before you do damage. So it sounds like nobody here really know how combat works.

The short version: attacker chooses which creature to take damage first. Blocker casts Dive Down targeting a creature. Damage is assigned, with lethal needing to be assigned to the first creature before any others can be assigned damage. So the blocker should have targeted the first creature to keep both alive, but apparently they targeted the second one.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Jabor posted:

The whole point of templating it that way is so that your opponent can't kill whatever you're targeting in order to deny you your card draw.

Not necessarily. They still print cards like Ral's Outburst that can be countered by removing the target. It's usually on cards that draw or otherwise look at cards before doing the damage so you can look at the cards before doing the damage. AFAIK this kind of trigger started with Keranos.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

3 mana teferi is in standard

Dies to rider

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

You expected consistency from WotC?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Huxley posted:

Can you only choose because both halves are <4? Or can you Bloodbraid into the Goldilocks card and choose to cast the three bears?

The reason seems to be because.

Seriously. You can't cascade into other split cards with BBE because it sees them as the combination of their costs. These ones are different because.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

rkajdi posted:

Is that meaningful tribal hate for modern too? It might be okay, but I’m not sure if it h ate out and plague engineer.

It's no Plague Engineer, that's for sure.

sit on my Facebook posted:

The thing to remember is that it's not actually this ruling that's the dumb one, it's the split card ruling that is bad

Yeah. This one is good imo. The rule change that killed bird brains made no sense to me.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Morophon is a peasant serf now.

Peasant Serf Lord.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

You know, I could poo poo on that flavor text but I'd rather they feel free to tee off and occasionally trip over their dick into sub dad joke level humor than feel like they gotta play it straight.

They already did this flavor text on Onslaught. I'm 100% on board with reusing bad jokes.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Into the Story.
5UU instant

Draw 4. Costs 3 less if an opponent has 7+ cards in their graveyard.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Has he ever written a different article? His whole schtick is "buy this terrible card from SCG to play a bad control deck that I won't be playing at the SCG Tour in *city nowhere near you*

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

Am I the only one who occasionally goes to flea markets and garage sales with the fantasy of a "yard sale find" of some old shoebox with some beat up OG duals interspersed among the wood elementals and living walls, or a sealed box of some old set?

Probably increasingly vanishingly unlikely as that stuff gets consolidated into big time collections and cultural osmosis has made people aware that Magic Cards can be worth a mint, with a rough valuation only a google search for a given card name away.

Still fun to dream.

No. And please do not disparage Living Wall. He has feelings.

A guy at my store last year found a box at Goodwill with, among a bunch of junk, 1 of each grixis dual for like $5.

They were Beta.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Experimental Frenzy's still legal! :v:

Turn 4, cast Fires of Invention, cast Experimental Frenzy for free. It's almost TOO good.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Wait. I didn't play that early in the game's life. There was a point when state-based effects weren't checked until the stack was empty?

The old rules were a disaster that I've never really understood, but I can tell you that at one point in the game if there was a Lightning Bolt and a Giant Growth targeting the same Grizzly Bear, that Grizzly Bear would not die regardless of the order in which they were cast.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

nrook posted:

Did any successful deck ever use Time Vault “honestly”, by banking turns and spending them later? It’s hard to envision.

People have taken extra turns with it in a fair way, but no deck has ever put it in the deck to be used fairly.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

little munchkin posted:

that particular example is really nonsensical though. people aren't sideboarding in unmoored ego against the grindy control/midrange decks that run command.

They absolutely are.

They shouldn't be, but those are completely different things.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rare land spoiled. ETBT, taps for black, 1BB: tap, draw a card and lose 1 life for each card in your hand.

Edit: ETBT unless you control a swamp. It's hard to read the crappy picture I saw.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 17, 2019

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

E: Didn't it recently get a near-functonal reprint that was basically that, a draft dross uncommon, complete with an art throwback reference or am I having a stroke?

Plague Sliver a while ago, and there's a red uncommon Juzam in Horizons.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Lol what

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Tubgoat posted:

The precise word to describe my feelings regarding Spirits is most easily pronounced by a freight train crashing through a full maternity ward.

Lantern I could probably get over by now, but Spirits is literally Counterspells.dec except the Counterspells attack for 2-8 in the air apiece.

Lol what

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

3 mana 2/3s: notoriously hard to deal with in Magic: the Gathering.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ShaneB posted:

I throw away all commons. This is not a lie. Bulk is literal trash and should be removed from your mental baggage.

I keep cards that can be big for casual. Stuff like slivers, sacrifice cards, etc. that can be $1 in a few years. The rest I just leave on the counter for my LGS to deal with. Uncommons I keep anything that could be playable but still most of it never leaves the store.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Tainen posted:

This seems super strong

You can Ghostly Flicker this and an Astrolabe, stack the triggers so you draw after putting this on top, and get +1 storm for every 2U you have!

I do wonder if this will be playable in some kind of pauper Tron build. Needing 3 islands is a pretty big downside, but it's not like Tron hasn't played Mortuary Mire in the past.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

So I drafted a Gargos. It's a mediocre BG deck until it draws Gargos, and then the game just ends.

It's messed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Star Man posted:

Could have been worse. You could have been trying to learn Japanese through anime.

Or Russian through Magic cards.