Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Seven loving mana just to take an extra turn? And I can't even recur it from the yard? Garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Voyager I posted:

Decks diversifying analogous cards to play around hate pieces - a thing that is most definitely not done in every format.

that particular example is really nonsensical though. people aren't sideboarding in unmoored ego against the grindy control/midrange decks that run command.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Magic Underwear posted:

Seven loving mana just to take an extra turn? And I can't even recur it from the yard? Garbage.

I am incredibly pleased with myself for having been right about this one.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Also I think Command gets worse when you can't rely on the Explore lifegain package to keep going.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

little munchkin posted:

that particular example is really nonsensical though. people aren't sideboarding in unmoored ego against the grindy control/midrange decks that run command.

They absolutely are.

They shouldn't be, but those are completely different things.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

suicidesteve posted:

They absolutely are.

They shouldn't be, but those are completely different things.

*Casts Surgical Extraction targeting Tarmogoyf*

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Someone with more time than me should make a website for goons that lets them rate cards from 1-10 that locks before prerelease weekend because I bet every set would be 1-2 cards with 9 ratings and every other card a 1-3 rating

We used to do this in the hearthstone thread for every expansion, and it was great.

Nothing like seeing everyone poo poo all over a card for it to turn out to be good and vice versa.

Turns out evaluating cards in a vacuum is hard to do, unless they are incredibly broken.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

GoutPatrol posted:

I still think the biggest miss this thread ever had was Arclight Phoenix.

Some fun ones from last year:

Now Phoenix:

All on the same page. And then it was just forgotten.

This thread just never lets anyone forget. You gonna call everyone out if Cauldron ends up being somewhat ok?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Cauldron will get banned in Legacy for being too good

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

InterrupterJones posted:

This thread just never lets anyone forget. You gonna call everyone out if Cauldron ends up being somewhat ok?

I've found the trick is to never be wrong. :smuggo:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
me, a complete moron: cauldron sucks rear end

you, a clever genuis: ah but these other poster that are not you thought a different card was bad, and were wrong. checkmate.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

little munchkin posted:

me, a complete moron: cauldron sucks rear end

you, a clever genuis: ah but these other poster that are not you thought a different card was bad, and were wrong. checkmate.

the trick is to not make blanket statements. dont say the card sucks rear end, say the enablers for the card dont exist yet. cauldron has a very powerful effect; it probably wont see play, but the actual text on it is quite strong.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Sampatrick posted:

the trick is to not make blanket statements. dont say the card sucks rear end, say the enablers for the card dont exist yet. cauldron has a very powerful effect; it probably wont see play, but the actual text on it is quite strong.
Have you tried not being A COWARD?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
:argh: :argh: HOVERGUARD SWEEPSERS!!!!! :argh: :argh:

Thanks arena.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tibalt posted:

Have you tried not being A COWARD?

I definitely haven't

code:
"Wallbreaker Giant"
[R/G][R/G][R/G][R/G]
Creature - Giant
Wallbreaker Giant can't be blocked by walls and knights.
5/5

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InterrupterJones posted:

Perhaps the answer isn't rushing to be the first to call every card except the most clearly amazing ones "bad"

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Perhaps the answer isn't rushing to be the first to call every card except the most clearly amazing ones "bad"

having opinions and discussing them in this, the thread to discuss Magic: the Gathering cards is fun, though. if we're not allowed to have opinions on cards during spoiler season what are we supposed to talk about during said spoiler season

(For what it's worth, I think this card looks about as playable as Deadbridge Chant, so a haymaker against midrange/control)

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elyv posted:

having opinions and discussing them in this, the thread to discuss Magic: the Gathering cards is fun, though. if we're not allowed to have opinions on cards during spoiler season what are we supposed to talk about during said spoiler season

(For what it's worth, I think this card looks about as playable as Deadbridge Chant, so a haymaker against midrange/control)

I love opinions. When they are varied and thoughtful, not "dies to removal, bad." "Doesn't win when dropped and costs more than 3 mana, bad"

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I love opinions. When they are varied and thoughtful, not "dies to removal, bad." "Doesn't win when dropped and costs more than 3 mana, bad"

I mean, if your 5+ mana creature is not resilient to removal and does not give you instant value when played/killed, the history of magic: the gathering says that it's got a very tiny chance to be playable unless it is baneslayer angel or legendary baneslayer angel

hell, that's even a barrier that blocks most 4 drops

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You must have very thin skin if gentle ribbing over getting card evaluations wrong gets you upset enough to think about not posting your opinions. Either that or you're taking things way too seriously to begin with.

Sickening pointed out that Phoenix was preordering at $2.50. Everyone got it wrong! It's not something to be ashamed about!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

InterrupterJones posted:

Sure if people want it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Voyager I posted:

*Casts Surgical Extraction targeting Tarmogoyf*

Have literally had this happen to me

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

ShaneB posted:

did you remark that it shrunk your goyfs?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ShaneB posted:

I've gotten rift bolt surgicalled, which is probably even sillier

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Elyv posted:

I've gotten rift bolt surgicalled, which is probably even sillier
Wtf why

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Jabor posted:

You must have very thin skin if gentle ribbing over getting card evaluations wrong gets you upset enough to think about not posting your opinions. Either that or you're taking things way too seriously to begin with.

Sickening pointed out that Phoenix was preordering at $2.50. Everyone got it wrong! It's not something to be ashamed about!

My friend tells a story about walking around the Future Sight prerelease (and after), handing people 2$ cash for their bulk 2 mana cost green creature rare with weird art. That (plus stock piling for the next weeks) paid for a decent little bit of his college.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
cauldron is similar enough to whip of erebos that i would be surprised if it sees no play at all, imo

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

dude surgical was a four-for-one, don't you understand card advantage?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rare land spoiled. ETBT, taps for black, 1BB: tap, draw a card and lose 1 life for each card in your hand.

Edit: ETBT unless you control a swamp. It's hard to read the crappy picture I saw.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 17, 2019

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Castle Lochtwain

Land

~ enters tapped unless you have Swamp

T: add B

1BB, T: draw a card, then you lose life equal to the number of cards in your hand

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Rare land spoiled. ETBT, taps for black, 1BB: tap, draw a card and lose 1 life for each card in your hand.

lol jesus christ wotc

Kurtofan posted:

~ enters tapped unless you have Swamp

THIS IS A MUCH BETTER CARD

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I guess that's one way to make a grindy card-drawing land that's not actually that appealing to control decks.

Another land cycle that plays well with shocks, though you're not going to squeeze this into a three-colour colour-intensive deck. This one's great for midrangey decks that want to be able to gas up in the late game without taking turns off early to play card draw.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Toshimo posted:

Nah. This isn't good in any of those. It's junk.

Grenzo, though.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
That actually seems like a cool design, you'll have to really think about when to activate it.

Makes me apprehensive about the other four.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

mossyfisk posted:

That actually seems like a cool design, you'll have to really think about when to activate it.

Makes me apprehensive about the other four.

Well, the blue one's a bit more straightforward:

How much worse than Lochtwain if both players are hellbent, anyway? My intuition says that they're at least reasonably close assuming normal land distribution.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The blue has "2UU, tap: scry 2"

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

I think it's odd they aren't legendary.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

q_k posted:

I think it's odd they aren't legendary.

I presume it's for the same reason as Valakut - namely, so you don't feel too bad about making land drops, and because it represents a place large enough to span multiple 'lands' conceptually.

For what it's worth, the last standard legal legendary land was Inventor's Fair, which had two effects that would both be very powerful in multiples, and Geier Reach Sanitarium before that (???). I'm not counting the enchantments that flip into legendary lands, mind you.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Gameplay trumps flavor in most cases

I'm glad we're getting cards of the castles in any case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ungulateman posted:

Geier Reach Sanitarium before that (???).

lol wtf was going on in development where that card needed to be legendary?