Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

I love how the game is so broken that you literally cant even play single player without being able to login to your authentication servers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

marshmallow creep posted:

So it isn't just me.

Nah, in between the homophobic rants about gay flags in the game there's tons of people on Reddit talking about this poo poo too. I think the servers for the game are hosed but also Xbox Live is now broken too so uh I'm not expecting to be able to play tonight.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Where do I get a drat flashlight?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've never played a Gears of War game but I saw that this was coming to PC Game Pass so that's pretty rad!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Two plays sessions and got about 20 minutes in. There's a LAN option, but only for versus because who would ever have two xboxes in the same physical location unless it was esports. A couple hours later we got some good time in, with around 5 drops/crashes and restarts over two hours.

Given that they hired the Bloodborne team to do their load times, this is... not a whole lot of play.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

Where do I get a drat flashlight?

I have gotten into the awful habit of playing games with brightness too high instead of dealing with developers obsession with 10-20 minute long segments of wandering in the dark.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

This game is pretty fun but 90% of people I've played with have been assholes. Escape mode seems really good if your teammates allow you to have a gun!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mailer posted:

Two plays sessions and got about 20 minutes in. There's a LAN option, but only for versus because who would ever have two xboxes in the same physical location unless it was esports. A couple hours later we got some good time in, with around 5 drops/crashes and restarts over two hours.

Given that they hired the Bloodborne team to do their load times, this is... not a whole lot of play.

Didn't Bloodborne have minute long loads at launch that's the worst possible way to use From

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

StabMasterArson posted:

This game is pretty fun but 90% of people I've played with have been assholes. Escape mode seems really good if your teammates allow you to have a gun!

Play with goons. The discord is very active.

And besides, when these servers get working right for me, I really want to play with my goon pals. And make some new friends :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/CoalitionGears/status/1170216800992149506

This was 10 hours ago, so hopefully things have improved finally.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Play with goons. The discord is very active.

And besides, when these servers get working right for me, I really want to play with my goon pals. And make some new friends :)

I'll join you guys once multiplayer gets stable!

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I'll join you guys once multiplayer gets stable!

I thought you were already in! Could have sworn Ive seen you in. All good either way!

Anywho, roger that! Yeah I really hope tomorrow is stable. I travel for work and am taking my laptop and will be on a lot every evening. Plan on doing about 5-6 hours a night really.

Also, easy discord link here: https://discord.gg/kV2HaFf

Lets build a welcoming, fun community like we do for all our games. Be cool, chill and play with goons. Im thoroughly enjoying this game for the campaign at least for now. Pumped to Horde

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

So, how does this stack up to Gears 2? Haven't played since then, and I was wondering how this game compares since I jumped on the $2 train.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Roluth posted:

So, how does this stack up to Gears 2? Haven't played since then, and I was wondering how this game compares since I jumped on the $2 train.

It's always been more or less the same game with minor improvements, so I'm sure you'll feel right at home. Check out the two movies in the extras menu for a recap of story stuff so you're not totally lost in story mode.

Edit: I would really like them to implement some sort of crosshair centered active reload indicator like they had in Synthetik on Steam. I am still getting into the groove of playing the game and hit the active reload about 5% of the time. It would be nice to have something subtle around the crosshair so I don't have to look up in the corner every time I reload. But I guess you can't switch up the formula all that much or people will be upset because things are different now.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 7, 2019

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Have to say that the graphical performance is extraordinary, my 6700k/1080ti is getting on a bit now and hasn't been able to do actual 4k60 on any game released in the last year and a half, but it's managing to do exactly that with Gears 5 even though it's one of the best looking games on the market. The dynamic resolution is imperceptible, and won't even let the game drop a single frame unlike pretty much every other game with the same option. There is some crazy talent at the Coalition.

I'm looking forward to trying the PC splitscreen, got a mate coming around later and it'll be wicked over a few beers and a takeaway.

A game of this quality, I actually feel like I'm kinda robbing MS a little here since I'm playing it via xbox game pass which was only 2. It's an absolute no-brainer at that price.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Yeah, I'm impressed at how smooth and solid it feels I have a RX480 and an old i7 2700k and it can do 1440p/60 with a mix of high and ultra.
I think Doom was the last time a game felt and looked so impressive.
Also keen to try split screen. My daughter comes round tomorrow, she might want to try the robot. gently caress, she might want to be a sweaty space soldier, we'll see.

Sadly, it's still crashing like a motherfucker for me. Yesterday it wouldn't get past the intro, but today, I'm at least into the first chapter.
It's so random. Sometimes in-game, sometimes a menu or cut scene.
It's dxgmms2.sys Blue Screen, sometimes "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area", other times "system_thread_exception_not_handled"
Sometimes it doesn't even give an error, it just switches off. The gently caress?

Tried everything I've seen online, spent hours now, actually tempted to put a fresh windows install on another drive and see if that works

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I got roped into playing this on PC and the controls feel....bad. Am I crazy or does anyone have a hot take on what I should be remapping.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Stupid question. But I assume keyboard right?

If controller on PC, with the server lag, Im getting bad input lag on controller.

On keyboard, its been real smooth for me. It just takes a little getting used to. The running stuff on keyboard is a big adjustment for me. I think it may be something that may take some time to get used to.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I'm not sure controller input delay has anything to do with server lag, movement and aiming is client-side and the issue would have affected m/kb in that case as well.

I'm not getting any input delay on controller so it's an issue on your end.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

There was tons of delay in Gears 4, I haven't fully tested on 5 since I've played most multiplayer in either laggy matches or on PC where there is none.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I like the idea of Gears going open world like God of War did, but Im not really feeling much in the exploration aspect like GoW had. I kinda wish they went a bit more into it. Even if they did something weird and put more RPG elements I dont know.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is horde mode supposed to be like 2 fuckin hours for a game? I want to play horde but that was exhausting. Does it get faster on harder difficulties or with more skills?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Yo this game is buggy as poo poo. Gonna wait for a patch.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Im on Xbox and does anyone else have issues where a level just like..gets stuck and doesnt progress? I got the saving progress icon on my lower left screen and it just got stuck indefinitely saving and wouldnt advance the level. Game is gorgeous, and fun, but seems super buggy.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Im on Xbox and does anyone else have issues where a level just like..gets stuck and doesnt progress? I got the saving progress icon on my lower left screen and it just got stuck indefinitely saving and wouldnt advance the level. Game is gorgeous, and fun, but seems super buggy.

This is what I was talking about. Have had to restart the game and it throws me back 10 minutes sometimes.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm finding the wayfinding really annoying. I have no idea how to get to Carmine from some fountain area in act 1 and I'm tired of looking. I have like one loving hour per week to play games and don't want to spend it pixel hunting. About to turn it off

Edit: after watching a YouTube it just didn't trigger a cinematic so there was nothing I could do. Cool

Edit 2: and it's happening again after the next wave of enemies. No dialogue, no idea what to do. You'd think they'd at least have ironed out the bugs in the Xbox version

Edit: and rebooting sent me back 20 minutes. Fun. About ready to give up on this game halfway through act one.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 8, 2019

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Thats exactly where Im stuck I believe.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Blind Rasputin posted:

That’s exactly where I’m stuck I believe.

Ha whoops just saw your message. Yep same thing, often stand in front of doors I'm supposed to go through and the prompt doesn't come up so I keep looking. Very annoying, game isn't good/fun enough to put up with this poo poo.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I haven't played a Gears before. Are enemies supposed to be this spongy? With major enemies I'll be emptying most of my entire carrying capacity worth of bullets into them.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Lone Badger posted:

I haven't played a Gears before. Are enemies supposed to be this spongy? With major enemies I'll be emptying most of my entire carrying capacity worth of bullets into them.

I mean, you wanna go for headshots typically. But yeah, the enemies are mostly giant hunks Of walking meat, so they can take some punishment. I like using the Longshot and popping heads from afar, mostly. The active reload makes sniping a lot more fun.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I played through gears 1, 2, and about 10 hours of gears 4.

Ive been playing a lot of FPS destiny stuff lately but the shooting in this just seems like a qte that includes an aiming mini-game. Like keep a terribly floaty point on a target while holding a button, play line up the lines to reload, continue to keep floaty point on target. The enemies dont really feel like enemies, just too mushy.

I dunno. Also, why does everyone have such a barrel chest? I wonder if its genetic or gravity skews them or something. And whats with Marcus line, its not the weapons I distrust, but the people using them.?? Holy poo poo NRA much?

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 8, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think that might be him displeased with the people running Gearsworld constantly loving over everyone with their experiments and insane bullshit, rather than an NRA buy-in.

Just maybe.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’ve been playing a lot of FPS destiny stuff lately but the shooting in this just seems like a qte that includes an aiming mini-game. Like keep a terribly floaty point on a target while holding a button, play line up the lines to reload, continue to keep floaty point on target. The enemies don’t really feel like enemies, just too mushy.

Yeah I've been bored of this gameplay since the end of Gears 1. Not sure I'll bother to finish this one.

The Lone Badger posted:

It's worse in 5. I spent a lot of act 1 without any ammo, including the big finale thing which kinda spoiled the moment.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If the trainer didnt keep crashing my game, Id recommend that for the campaign. Grenade launcher spam never gets old.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

It's worse in 5. I spent a lot of act 1 without any ammo, including the big finale thing which kinda spoiled the moment.

Made worse by the weird ammo incompatibility. Lancer bullets don't work in a Lancer-GL? Longshot bullets don't work in a Relic Longshot?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

RBA Starblade posted:

Didn't Bloodborne have minute long loads at launch that's the worst possible way to use From

Yes, but considerably longer than a minute. Fortunately that game wasn't a technical dumpster fire, so while the load times were annoying at least it was only when you died/warped. Here you're constantly sitting through 3+ loading screens because you hit yet another of the game's many problems.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Just beat the campaign and honestly the game could have ended at act 2's finale and I feel like nothing would change story wise. Act 3 & 4 felt like they were spinning their wheels. And whoooo boy that ending was bad.

Also did anyone else feel like most of the combat areas were oddly narrow? I found it incredibly difficult to flank until like act 4.

Multiplayer is a blast though. Kind of hope they balance out that melee hammer because the range on that thing is insane.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Just reached act 3, not a big fan of this desert planet. It feels like it was done on a significantly lower budget than everything before it. Graphics take a nosedive, the planet is very plain, lots of poorly-textured copy-paste buildings placed down with no rhyme or rhythm, etc. Hopefully it picks up again.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I just landed there too. I liked looking at all the planes and tanks on the airbase, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm missing a lot of the plot from not having played earlier ones. Did Niles create the Locust from scratch?