Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leveling up my health seemed like a no-brainer as Sarah until I realized it wanted me to spend 5000 bucks on 1% more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Gears MP feels good. So far I'm not at all impressed with the maps on offer; they seem extremely same-y and pretty bland. Very symmetrical which is typical of Gears but I think this game takes it a bit far. They also seem very cramped; the Longshot isn't nearly as threatening as in previous games due to much-restricted lines of sight.

I also think the non-active Lancer damage could use a tiny buff, but the Gnasher is right where it needs to be.

What's the deal with the Hammerburst? I haven't seen a single one in Ranked, either as a spawn weapon or as a pickup. Is it pure Lancers now?

I absolutely love the T-800 skin and a team of five Terminators roaming the map is good fun.

Regardless, it's classic Gears action and I'm very pleased with the performance so far.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I like the T-800 character but I feel like the skin could probably benefit from a little chrome polish. It’s so thin and metallic it’s kind of hard to see in a lot of maps when it’s crouching.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
Anybody run into trouble launching the game on PC? I get through the opening videos to the menu where it says Press Enter to Play but the game just sits there forever after hitting enter. No crashing, just sits and spins with no menu, let it sit for 30 min straight last night. The thing is I have played for 5 or 6 hours. Updated my drivers, rebooted my PC. Same thing. Uninstalled and it's downloading again but that's my last idea, google didn't turn anything up but maybe my search terms are trash.

No bueno.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hasn't done that for me, but hitting the enter key doesn't work, I have to click the mouse. In fact a lot of the "press this key" prompts don't work like they should. I doubt that's the issue you're having though.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Oh yeah one more thing about Horde: Build/upgrade as many weapon lockers as you can. Stuff them with every power weapon you find. Eventually you'll be swimming in enough missile launchers to demolish bosses within seconds.

Still got empty lockers? Shove in one of your ammo-hungry primary weapons and buy another from the fabricator. Congratulations, you never have to worry about running out of Longshot ammo again.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ChickenHeart posted:

Still got empty lockers? Shove in one of your ammo-hungry primary weapons and buy another from the fabricator

not every class can do this

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Okay I feel like I’m stupid or something, I’ve found Sarah Connor as a selectable character in Escape and Horde, but where is the T-800?

Edit - found it, I didn’t realize it was classified under Swarm and only accessible in versus mode.

Also it’s eyes are yellow and it has no voice lines. :negative:

Interesting that they used the Terminator Genisys redesign, too.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 17, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Plot question: So the Locust being mutated humans has been something of a no-brainer since Gears 2, but where does that leave the war beasts that the Locust use like the Brumaks, or all of the weird tank bugs and body snatcher creatures in the Swarm? Would they be immulsion-mutated wildlife, or naturally occurring predators that live in the Locust warrens?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
You aren't meant to think about it very hard.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The T-800 should be voiced entirely by the old Arnold soundboard.

And when are we getting goddamn Coletrain and Dizzy?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Pops Mgee posted:

The T-800 should be voiced entirely by the old Arnold soundboard.

And when are we getting goddamn Coletrain and Dizzy?

Yeah I'm really disappointed in the character options. I get that the old cast is old, but I really miss playing as Baird.

If they become an option locked behind this ridiculous tour of duty grind or worse, behind iron, I don't see staying with this game very long.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fenarisk posted:

If they become an option locked behind this ridiculous tour of duty grind or worse, behind iron, I don't see staying with this game very long.

What does your heart tell you? My friend kept asking the same thing about Baird, you know they're going to have DLC CHARACTER PACK #1 come December with all your faves for a cool 6000 iron.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Every new character will either have to be brought with real money or grinded for.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

RBX posted:

Every new character will either have to be brought with real money or grinded for.

I get that for a f2p game but for a $60 game, having to drop money on features and options that have been a staple in the earlier games seems terrible.

I hate modern games :smith:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I wonder if there's even more incentive for them to do it this time around too considering they most likely got a fuckton of signups for Gamepass specifically to play this game. There's a lot of people out there who paid $2 for the game that they probably want to keep around, convincing people to buy a $15 DLC pack for a game they don't own is one way to do that.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Microsoft owned studio games aren't $60 games anymore. You can give them $60 if you want, but they're basically free2play/games as a service first and foremost.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

abandoning my insane attempt for now, anyone know if I breeze through on easy mode and scoop up all jacks upgrade bits if I'll keep them when I go back and replay earlier acts?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

RBX posted:

I think characters are free but the skins aren't. You won't miss out on any abilities.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Aren't the two Halo characters for Escape/Horde locked behind DLC if you don't have Ultimate Edition?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cease to Hope posted:

Aren't the two Halo characters for Escape/Horde locked behind DLC if you don't have Ultimate Edition?

You get them with Ultimate Gamepass too I'm pretty sure.

My brother got them one way or another; Kat gets discounts in Horde.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Halo character skins are really cool, but I have to say that the knife Emile has in the sheath on his right shoulder is really distracting in-game so I had to switch to Kat instead.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Hasn't done that for me, but hitting the enter key doesn't work, I have to click the mouse. In fact a lot of the "press this key" prompts don't work like they should. I doubt that's the issue you're having though.

Reinstalling fixed it. Probably a better way but whatever.

Likely unrelated, but my broken game was the base version. When I reinstalled, accidentally ran into the ultimate version which for the time being still works. And I got the Batista character for my troubles.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

You get them with Ultimate Gamepass too I'm pretty sure.

My brother got them one way or another; Kat gets discounts in Horde.

I thought UGP basically gives you the ultimate version. It also included the early launch that was ultimate exclusive.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Cease to Hope posted:

not every class can do this

Which ones? So far I've seen the lockers take everything from the GL Lancer to the hammer-thing you get off the minibosses. A two-slot locker solved all my sniper ammo issues to the point where I could dump my pistol for a repair gun and toss the marksman rifle to run floor-guns to the forge.

The trick is to make sure you don't accidentally merge your two guns when swapping them around.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

ChickenHeart posted:

Which ones? So far I've seen the lockers take everything from the GL Lancer to the hammer-thing you get off the minibosses. A two-slot locker solved all my sniper ammo issues to the point where I could dump my pistol for a repair gun and toss the marksman rifle to run floor-guns to the forge.

The trick is to make sure you don't accidentally merge your two guns when swapping them around.

I think he's saying not every class can build lockers

I think the jack on your team (every team should have a jack) should build several lockers after upgrading a few stats.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ChickenHeart posted:

The lockers can take any weapon but not all classes can rebuy their base weapons at the fab. I know offhand that Emile can't.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I think we have another Gears 2 situation on our hands. Half my list played this a few times and never again. My best friend has quit and he hated 4 alot but still played it to death. All my friends are die hard fans too. There's a big effort post I wanna make but I don't have my thoughts together yet.

They really nerfed every tool good players used in past games to heavily lower the skill ceiling and it still doesn't matter because bad players will always be bad. Now good players still do good but there's more variable times where a worse player can beat them when they shouldn't. Everything is slower, everything is easier and when that happens where is the excitement going to come from? I have no hope of beating more than 3 people on my own when I used to before. Every map is campy with a million corners you watch out for and long sightlines everywhere rendering flanking moot. There is also only 7 at launch in the year 2019.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I feel the same way about Horde. I have no desire to play the same match for two loving hours. Who exactly thought that was a good idea?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I haven't even tried multi yet lol

A friend did and got some variant with perks on and he won because his character couldn't flinch or something and the other players' characters could

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Pro tip. If you play horde, set the difficulty to elite or higher. You get way more exp and you'll probably die in ten rounds but they'll be as intense as rounds 1-40 on advanced.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Also, play custom matches and start on wave 10+ (although I'm not sure if you can go above advanced difficulty in custom games)

So far the most reliable win strategy has been collecting enough lockers and power weapons to the point where every player is constantly firing a mulcher by wave 40.

Also praying that you don't get the bullshit helicopter for the final boss. I got to witness that thing bee-line behind our structures and wipe the squad in two salvos with us emptying power weapons into it the whole time.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Here's a rockstar can code: F8H3TX778K6R

and a walmart code: 944TJ9XC973N

I've gotten anything decent already, just boosts at this point, enter codes at https://gears.rockstarenergy.com

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Ineffiable posted:

Pro tip. If you play horde, set the difficulty to elite or higher. You get way more exp and you'll probably die in ten rounds but they'll be as intense as rounds 1-40 on advanced.

Yeah, it really seems like that is the intended way to play horde. It's seriously just a huge loving slog past wave 15 or so and it makes more sense if they intend for you to play at difficulties where you're scrambling to survive from early on.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a cute touch having the artwork on the walls in the hotel be the multiplayer map icons from previous games.

This is super janky feeling altogether though. Other players keep crashing and it doesn't load assets pretty regularly. I like Escape but it needs way more than five levels, god drat. The game feels half baked.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
The campaign was a decent length for a meathead shooter. Looking forward to The Outer Worlds. Game Pass Ultimate is pretty cool.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Ineffiable posted:

I was wondering about this, I've never played any of the old gears past maybe the 2 hour mark but the horde mode almost scratches that ME3 itch

Do PUGs ever try to stay for the full 50 waves? I got to wave 35ish in advanced as a Del but the other people left way earlier

I feel like barricades help a ton with funneling but everyone seems to be allergic to building stuff. I know points can go to other things but I made a barricade/sentry funhouse in the underside of the museum and kicked rear end and my waves were mostly me running around with a repair gun topping the ammo off. I really like playing as Jack but then I'm not allowed to build barricades.

Also is there a way to not have to look at the scoreboard for 15 seconds every wave?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I just read this article and it summed up some things that bother me about Gears' storyline: I'm Still Waiting For Gears Of War's Story To Grow Up

We're told over and over how bad the COG is, and much of Gears 4's storyline is about this, but it's abandoned halfway because of the Swarm. And then by this game all the major characters are back in the COG army and actively recruiting for them (!!!). Every time it flirts with the idea of that maybe this totalitarian government that has giant superweapon satellites is a bad idea, it's back to fighting mindless orcs and trying to get the Hammer of Dawn back online.

Add to that the fact that the Locust/Swarm are CLEARLY intelligent beings in their own right, but the game needs them to be evil, ugly kidnappers that kill everything they come across, so that's what they'll always be. If the games are so uninterested in the questions they keep raising and just want to make cool set piece battles, why raise the questions at all?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For the same reason that The Swarm exists. 25 years is nowhere near enough time for humanity to bounce back from near extinction to be an innumerable opponent for our plucky heroes. So the swarm is brought up so you can justify gunning down hundreds of enemies without thinking too much over the ramifications of the first trilogy. They want to push the story forward without doing much to establish a major paradigm shift that wouldn't be identifiable as Gears of War.

God of War's new game is radically different from the original games and it's better for it. Not because the gameplay is better (I much prefer the old God of War games combat) but because it sets itself apart from the originals and does its own thing. It's still a God of War game at heart, but it's an evolution as well.

Gears 4 and 5 are just Gears 1-Judgement with updated graphics and little justification for existing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah rationally I understand that. It's just sad that when there's so little at stake (since no one really cares about the Gears plot) they couldn't go crazy and think up something new and interesting to fight. I dunno, just have some random new aliens invade, and have the government completely break down and most of the people needing to fend for themselves.

The one good thing is that Gears 5 FINALLY attempts to explain the existence of Myrrah. She was built up as some big mystery throughout the original 3, and then when you finally fight her in Gears 3... There's nothing, she's just the queen because she is, and you just have to fight her.