Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
My Homeworld: Remastered process is as follows

1. "homeworld was dope, i should finish the remaster!"

2. ahhh, Return to Kharak, this level is great, now to watch the cutscene

3. wait what do you mean they don't pause the cryo trays getting bombed in the middle of the cutscene which initiates the actual plot of the game

4. uninstall and work on some other part of my steam list

I think I've done this three times now, each time forgetting and restarting anew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I never had problems with HW2 on Windows 7, you can even tweak the launcher to support widescreen. I would guess it works fine on 10 too.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Willie Tomg posted:

My Homeworld: Remastered process is as follows

1. "homeworld was dope, i should finish the remaster!"

2. ahhh, Return to Kharak, this level is great, now to watch the cutscene

3. wait what do you mean they don't pause the cryo trays getting bombed in the middle of the cutscene which initiates the actual plot of the game

4. uninstall and work on some other part of my steam list

I think I've done this three times now, each time forgetting and restarting anew.

Watch the cutscene, restart the mission, skip the cutscene?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

General Battuta posted:

Watch the cutscene, restart the mission, skip the cutscene?

Scrap your whole fleet at the end of mission 2, build a bajillion salvage and repair corvettes and swamp the Taiidan frigates with a ball of repo men and medics. Problem solved.

Also the game bugs the gently caress out if you save all 6 cryo trays. Canonically one is supposed to be destroyed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One thing I haven't checked since they patched Remastered is if you can still do a doom fleet by maxxing out your fleet cap with salvage Corvettes amd stealing the entire enemy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
i refuse to hope

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Larry Parrish posted:

Are they seriously announcing a game that isnt supposed to come out for three years

Always bet on Duke.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

One thing I haven't checked since they patched Remastered is if you can still do a doom fleet by maxxing out your fleet cap with salvage Corvettes amd stealing the entire enemy.

You can but the variable scaling that came with the HW2 engine means that you'll then face Doomfleet+ as your enemy in the next mission.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Complications posted:

You can but the variable scaling that came with the HW2 engine means that you'll then face Doomfleet+ as your enemy in the next mission.

get the community patch. it makes these things not happen and fixes some long-standing issues with HW1 Remastered.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I still have all of my original HW/Cat/2 cds, do they work with Win10 if I bother to get a cd drive?

You are better off using the remaster for the original and 2, and they also include the original versions for free anyways. Cataclysm requires many hoops to jump through, to the point where you're better off running it in Virtualbox or something.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The_Frag_Man posted:

Are you making GBS threads on Cataclysm, which is one of my favourite games, or is Deserts of Kharak totally amazing?

This already got answered, but no, Cataclysm owns.

DoK's just better.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

I don’t remember any moments from DoK personally, aside from finding the crashed Taiidani carrier, while I remember a good few moments from Cataclysm (“We... are not... monsters,” the Clee-San and the beginnings of the Beast mothership, the Naggarok, etc.) Hell, everything about the mission where you stop the Bentusi from leaving is in my head enough that I can still hear the lines in my head. I can’t say the same for DoK aside from some kickass music/visuals.

Also it is me, the fool, giving them $150 for a fake Homeworld 3 that’ll never come out/be good.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
So what's the definitive way to play Homeworld 1? Remaster with a community patch?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The absolutely definitive way to do it is to play the original if you can get it working. The remasters are nice but there are still parts of the game which fundamentally don’t work in the new engine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HW2, remastered. HW1, remastered if you don't mind a bit of port jank or if you do, just the original.

There's really no reason to play og HW2 now tbh

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The last patch introduced projectiles to HW2RM, does that screw up the game or not really?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

It fixes some things and makes some other things janky. For one, actual ballistics but with HW2 style chase AI results in a lot of friendly fire unless you’re in formation at all times, and formations are still unwieldy. That said, it was a good patch and the community mod helps a lot too.

Seconding that HW1 is best experienced as HW1 unless you really cannot stand the graphics, in which case HW1RM with the community mod off the workshop is reasonably close. HW2 should absolutely be played as the remastered version with said mod.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 1, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm going to write a brief guide as soon as I'm back home on how to get original HW and Cataclysm running under Win10. It takes a little registry editing and some flags in the shortcut, but it's totally doable with the original executables. GoG is also selling Cataclysm as "Homeworld: Emergence" (due to Blizzard owning the name "Cataclysm," I guess) so that's another way to get a hold of it.

I'm a huge loving shameless 20-year Homeworld fan with the Mothership statue on my desk, etc. I have to say that I'm more optimistic – although cautiously so – than most people ITT. Yes it's Pitchford's Gearbox, but it's also BBI and the DoK team. They understand the level of responsibility they're taking on, and judging from the post they wrote it seems like they are trying to be more careful about assessing community input and transparency this time around.

My real concern is about the story, narrative, and presentation, which IMO were really poorly handled in DoK, and interfered with my enjoyment of the game. I think they nailed the atmosphere, but it lacked the subtlety of the earlier games, and induced a lot of guffaws and eyerolling. I'm not convinced that won't happen again. I also think the current art style is not quite there, it's too "we only had a ruler" pseudofuture, but they also have three+ years to develop it, so.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Needs audio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GLmboCnLQY

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm going to write a brief guide as soon as I'm back home on how to get original HW and Cataclysm running under Win10. It takes a little registry editing and some flags in the shortcut, but it's totally doable with the original executables. GoG is also selling Cataclysm as "Homeworld: Emergence" (due to Blizzard owning the name "Cataclysm," I guess) so that's another way to get a hold of it.

I'm a huge loving shameless 20-year Homeworld fan with the Mothership statue on my desk, etc. I have to say that I'm more optimistic – although cautiously so – than most people ITT. Yes it's Pitchford's Gearbox, but it's also BBI and the DoK team. They understand the level of responsibility they're taking on, and judging from the post they wrote it seems like they are trying to be more careful about assessing community input and transparency this time around.

My real concern is about the story, narrative, and presentation, which IMO were really poorly handled in DoK, and interfered with my enjoyment of the game. I think they nailed the atmosphere, but it lacked the subtlety of the earlier games, and induced a lot of guffaws and eyerolling. I'm not convinced that won't happen again. I also think the current art style is not quite there, it's too "we only had a ruler" pseudofuture, but they also have three+ years to develop it, so.

I have a little optimism, if for no other reason than there is probably a hoard of grognards invading the dev discord and they have 2+ years to complain.

I also think a lot about how Homeworld influenced other mediums: the Battlestar Galactica reboot comes immediately to mind. :bsg:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng3li-OCWuA

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I have a little optimism, if for no other reason than there is probably a hoard of grognards invading the dev discord and they have 2+ years to complain.

I also think a lot about how Homeworld influenced other mediums: the Battlestar Galactica reboot comes immediately to mind. :bsg:

Which is nice and circular because the persistent rumor is that the original Homeworld started out as a Battlestar Galactica game that Relic couldn't get licensed so they made it an original IP. True or not, the OG 70s BSG had a looming influence over Homeworld either way.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I love me some :bsg: so I'm even more convinced to at least get the remakes/Desert.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Campbell Lane plays a hybrid in the BSG TV movie Razor. They knew there were connections.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

So Rob Cunningham and J Aaron Kambeitz are working on this?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I also think the current art style is not quite there, it's too "we only had a ruler" pseudofuture, but they also have three+ years to develop it, so.

Considering they've even made the Hiigaran emblem angular for this game, I think it's safe to say that the banana ship will be the roundest thing about the player fleet this time around.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's all pre-vis, everything's subject to change. Those fighters in the video don't look very Hiigaran though, either in shape or in colour scheme.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

So Rob Cunningham and J Aaron Kambeitz are working on this?

Yep. Black Bird Interactive is comprised of like 75-80% of the original Relic Studios staff who worked on HW1 and HW2. They formed BBI to work on what became Deserts of Kharak, back when it was called Shipbreakers. It caught Gearbox's attention after they acquired the Homeworld license and instead of C&Ding for basically making a Homeworld game in all but name, they kinda straddled up to them and were like "Hey, you guys wanna just like make it an actual Homeworld game? Here's a bunch of money and resources to do it."

Gearbox gets a lot of rightly earned poo poo for being an incompetent scummy company run by incompetent scummy people (and legit creeps like Randy), but when they say they actually care about the Homeworld IP, they put their money where their mouth is. People begged and pleaded for THQ to make a new Homeworld game for years after they gobbled up Relic and the Homeworld IP, and they just sat on it and laughed until they disintegrated.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

BBI is not Gearbox or Randy Pitchford. Randy is a piece of poo poo but, broken clock etc etc. See also; Bezos saving The Expanse when SyFy dumped it after its third season pulled a 100% on RT.

Filthy rich assholes suck, but the sad fact right now is that they're the ones willing to pay for things that are actually good.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah I can't stand Gearbox/Pitchford but I really enjoyed DoK and I'm pretty optimistic that Blackbird is going to do a good job with this.

Just kinda can't believe Homeworld 3 is finally happening.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Mordja posted:

It's all pre-vis, everything's subject to change. Those fighters in the video don't look very Hiigaran though, either in shape or in colour scheme.

They look to me like Taiidan fighters run through a Hiigaran filter. I actually dig it a lot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

They look to me like Taiidan fighters run through a Hiigaran filter. I actually dig it a lot.

I hope they retcon a lot of Homeworld 2's backstory and sloppier worldbuilding. Because according to existing lore the Imperial remnant joined the Vaygr horde and then just rolled the new Taiidani Republic, so hopefully we see some more Taiidan stuff in HW3. Also I hope they ditch that stupid thing about "the hyperspace core made Karan immortal". The Remaster version of Homeworld 2 seems to imply that it's only been 10 years between games in-universe rather than 100 years by bringing back Fleet Intelligence's original VA along with Karan's, thus implying it's the same dude from the original Mothership who's also commanding the Pride of Hiigara.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All that poo poo about the special hyperspace cores just kind of made my brain turn off. It's up there with the human reaper from ME2 or the two swords that make a planet blow up from HoMM for most mind numbingly stupid plot points in a game

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Is there a way to play HW2 with the cool and elegant UI from HW1 ? I guess not?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The setting disintegrated the second they started showing everyone's face in HW2, removing all ambiguity.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The human reaper owns just because the entire line of thinking behind it was "wouldn't it be cool if the final boss was a giant Terminator"

nine-gear crow posted:

I hope they retcon a lot of Homeworld 2's backstory and sloppier worldbuilding. Because according to existing lore the Imperial remnant joined the Vaygr horde and then just rolled the new Taiidani Republic, so hopefully we see some more Taiidan stuff in HW3. Also I hope they ditch that stupid thing about "the hyperspace core made Karan immortal". The Remaster version of Homeworld 2 seems to imply that it's only been 10 years between games in-universe rather than 100 years by bringing back Fleet Intelligence's original VA along with Karan's, thus implying it's the same dude from the original Mothership who's also commanding the Pride of Hiigara.

They used HW1 Fleet Intelligence's VA for 2 because the original VA didn't want to come back, they didn't retcon anything.

Cunningham thinks Cata's plot sucks as well as the mess HW2 ended up with though so who knows

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

THE BAR posted:

The setting disintegrated the second they started showing everyone's face in HW2, removing all ambiguity.

HW2 shows exactly two faces, and DoK has full body shots of most of the cast on screen and is perfectly fine. The setting disintegrated because HW2 had no plot or effective world building.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hw2 was good but the story was a bit naff. The 3 cores was hella dumb but the Vagyr owned.

Deserts of Kharak had a really good campaign I thought. They nailed the atmosphere with a faster face suitable for the faster pace of ground warfare.

Condensing HW2 and HW1 and rolling the Taiidani into the new Hiigara also makes a lot more sense in terms of population numbers and stuff. Also let's you have multiple Taiidan factions and characters depending on which breakaway they're part of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Psycho Landlord posted:

HW2 shows exactly two faces, and DoK has full body shots of most of the cast on screen and is perfectly fine. The setting disintegrated because HW2 had no plot or effective world building.

I just remember S'jet's dumb face on the cover, it's scrambled my mind. But yes, the fact that I barely remember what happened is a testament to how little plot it had.

I do remember using a big thing to fight other big things attacking Higaara at the end. And I've listened to the soundtrack tons of times after the fact. Think Paul Ruskay will be on HW3 as well? If anything, it'll be more awesome Arab space adventure music for my playlist.