Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

He did Strike Suit Zero and Deserts of Kharak so he'd come back I expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
He's on it, yeah.

Turanic Raiders is probably my most listened to song of all time. :v:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Just because we seem to have a lot of people in this thread who haven’t played it, DoK has some of Ruskay’s best work on it. The Gaalsien battle theme loving owns, I like it even more than the Vaygr theme.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 2, 2019

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Coalition theme is amazing too. You goons should play DoK if you are a fan of Homeworld.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

StratGoatCom posted:

Between lacking the original writing team, and the fact that Randy 'NEDM ... Pitchford is involved...
Are you saying he burned a cat? :psypop:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

The Coalition theme is amazing too. You goons should play DoK if you are a fan of Homeworld.
My favorite thing about Homeworld is epic space battles. DoK doesn’t have that. It’s a pretty small scale game.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

All of you backer goons in the super secret discord need to influence things away from HW2.

Also make them bring back the Turanic Raiders goddamit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhjamiz posted:

All of you backer goons in the super secret discord need to influence things away from HW2.

Also make them bring back the Turanic Raiders goddamit.

One of the first things Rob said during the reveal panel was the story would be going back to its roots, IE more HW1, less HW2 from the sound of it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

nine-gear crow posted:

One of the first things Rob said during the reveal panel was the story would be going back to its roots, IE more HW1, less HW2 from the sound of it.

I know what they mean, but I'd rather they did something new and interesting. You can't put the burning Kharak back into the bottle, as it were.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

THE BAR posted:

I know what they mean, but I'd rather they did something new and interesting. You can't put the burning Kharak back into the bottle, as it were.

I'm guessing he means thematically rather than retconning stuff. It definitely looks like they're going straight off the end of 2 and my guess is that the whole storyline will be the expedition through Balcora gate. A completely new galaxy means they might be able to recapture the mystery and sense of discovery of the first game.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My favorite thing about Homeworld is epic space battles. DoK doesn’t have that. It’s a pretty small scale game.
Mine is the idle chatter and being sucked into the thematic universe and DoK nails it in spades whilst my troops talk amongst each other whilst they surf the dunes.

Tho the best moment of HW1 imo was the Kadesh. Nothing has topped that for me.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Glad to hear the devs are looking to 1 for inspiration. Crossing my fingers the Turanics and Kadeshi can get a nod or two at least. No one even mentioned them in HW2. Criminal.

DoK is fun so far, but like every homeworld game I wish they’d really use the maps to give a sense of scale. Everything is really cramped despite it being a giant open desert, or space.

Homeworld but on SupComm scale would be nice.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They even released a trailer of that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFpZtN1ySs0

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

Mine is the idle chatter and being sucked into the thematic universe and DoK nails it in spades whilst my troops talk amongst each other whilst they surf the dunes.

Tho the best moment of HW1 imo was the Kadesh. Nothing has topped that for me.

The Kadesh and the actual opening moments of contact with the first Keeper are both the undeniable highpoints of the series for me, which is why I don't hate on 2 as much as some.

Mordja posted:

I'm guessing he means thematically rather than retconning stuff. It definitely looks like they're going straight off the end of 2 and my guess is that the whole storyline will be the expedition through Balcora gate. A completely new galaxy means they might be able to recapture the mystery and sense of discovery of the first game.

Close. That gate looks like the Eye of Arran from the ending animatic of 2, so it'll probably be an expedition to map the hyperspace network mentioned there.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 2, 2019

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

HW3 is set immediately after HW2. They'll probably just take the thematics in more of a HW1 direction.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

HW2 shows exactly two faces, and DoK has full body shots of most of the cast on screen and is perfectly fine. The setting disintegrated because HW2 had no plot or effective world building.
This I agree fully on. HW2´s story was a goddamn mess with the whole three cores prophecy crap and Karan S´jet being the writers pet character. It pretty much turned me off the series for a long time until Deserts of Kharak made me somewhat optimistic for an eventual sequel.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I don't know which of these is worst, but they're my main contenders for why the plot of HW2 sucks:

quote:

Karen S'jet being dragged into things again in HW2, when she was supposed to have a completed story arc in HW1.

The Higaarans going from a Jewish analogue of underdogs to one of the main contenders in the galaxy in record time.

That not only was them finding a hyperspace core not just blind luck, but it being the super duper core to bind them all.

All the stuff about prophecy could work, but it's got nothing to work on, besides paying lip service to the religious undertones of the first two games. It's too many Chosen Ones at once.

Also, them not mentioning the Somtaaw or the events from Cataclysm can be technically forgiven, but I really, really liked the characters and plot in that, cliché as it was... But practically killing off the Bentusi offscreen was unforgivable, I love those guys! :(

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

THE BAR posted:

I don't know which of these is worst, but they're my main contenders for why the plot of HW2 sucks:

All the stuff about prophecy could work, but it's got nothing to work on, besides paying lip service to the religious undertones of the first two games. It's too many Chosen Ones at once.

Also, them not mentioning the Somtaaw or the events from Cataclysm can be technically forgiven, but I really, really liked the characters and plot in that, cliché as it was... But practically killing off the Bentusi offscreen was unforgivable, I love those guys! :(

Taking out the Bentusi was one of the things I liked about Homeworld 2's plot because it let you know that things weren't loving around and it was time to stand up and take care of your own poo poo after they'd helped you out so many times in HW1 and Cataclysm. And Campbell Lane's death in the intervening years means they probably won't recon it either.

Plus it makes the Planet Killers popping out of nowhere at the end of the game hit even harder, especially if you're familiar with the background design and worldbuilding stuff because you realize "Oh gently caress, the T-Mat are real, and the Bentusi aren't around to keep them in check any more..."

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

THE BAR posted:

God that's right, I was trying to remember if this was HW2 or HW1 but yeah, at the end of HW1 Karen is extracted from the core and basically goes home. When the gently caress did they strap her back in? Who made that call?

"Pilot the spaceship, Karen. Or the Bentusi will have to do it again"

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

"Oh gently caress, the T-Mat are real, and the Bentusi aren't around to keep them in check any more..."

Aaaaand we just figured out 3’s villain.

For what it’s worth, HW2 did actually have some relatively deep backstory explaining why their core was special and how they got it and everything, but it was nothing like the kickass manuals from 1 and Cata.

It was also hidden in a strategy guide no one bought.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Speaking of HW2 and how it's garbage, I am hoping they don't carry over the Hiigaran aesthetic to the new game. The Vaygr poo poo looks awesome, keep that. But I never liked how very... boring? Practical? Exactly-What-You'd-Excpect a lot of the Hiigaran ship designs were.

The carrier looked like an aircraft carrier... but in space.

The Destroyer looked like a naval Destroyer... but in space.

The Shipyard looked like a naval shipyard... but in space.

THIS from the people who built a Giant Space Banana? Bullshit.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I like to think that Cataclysm never got retconned or written away in HW2, it's just that the Somtaaw were too busy hunting another galaxy-ending threat at the time. :black101:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

I like to think that Cataclysm never got retconned or written away in HW2, it's just that the Somtaaw were too busy hunting another galaxy-ending threat at the time. :black101:
Idk why people say Cataclysm is non-canon, there were plenty of kiith that didn't make an appearance in HW2, and HW2 is at least ostensibly supposed to take place 75 years after Cataclysm. The only reason Cataclysm wasn't also remastered is that its source code is lost.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think im one of the few who preferred HW2s aesthetic for the ships. Some of the Taiidan stuff is classic but there's way too many just ugly poo poo too?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm also fine with sjet being ageless. It goes nicely with her being Unbound from physical limitations when she was plugged into the mothership.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Flipswitch posted:

I think im one of the few who preferred HW2s aesthetic for the ships. Some of the Taiidan stuff is classic but there's way too many just ugly poo poo too?

Yeah, no, I much prefer HW2's ship design all around. The Hiigaran battlecruiser is in the running for one of my favourite ship designs.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I miss the big Kushan Bug Carrier and all their ugly ships.

And basically everything Taiidan is classic. Quaar-Jet Heavy Cruiser, hell yes.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

All the HW2 ship designs own and I’m glad Hiigara figured out you want guns on the underside of your space combat vessels so they can fight in three dimensions after the massive and powerful Taiidan empire didn’t.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Personally? I hope that the starship-integrated lady we see in the trailer is someone other than Karan S'jet. Heck, I'd like her to be something other than a S'jet entirely.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Rhjamiz posted:

I miss the big Kushan Bug Carrier and all their ugly ships.

I was obsessed with the Qwaar-Jet back in the day. It's not slick like most other Taiidan designs; it was just this big, powerful, and very angry brick with guns. The Kushan equivalent fitted their workmanship-like roster, but it didn't inspire fear the way the Qwaar-Jet did, even with identical stats.

...And then it became even worse in Cataclysm. :gonk:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Qwaar-Jet is probs the best Taiidani design and one of the most iconic, up there with the Taiidan Interceptor.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Man, I am loving thrilled they’re making Homeworld 3. I know 2 was a letdown - I haven’t replayed it since it came out, despite going through #1 at least four times. But my memory of 2 is that while the plot is fairly dogshit, stylistically the game was pretty strong. And didn’t it have a notoriously tortured development?

The fact that DoK was amazing and 3 is helmed by the same people leads me to believe that it’s in pretty good hands. Plus - I mean - I figured we were never ever going to get another Homeworld game for the rest of our lives. DoK came out and I was loving shocked. Then it went on to (I assume) sell fairly poorly and I figured that was it. Now we’re getting 3? I am just over the moon about this, honestly. 2 was a misstep for sure, but DoK wasn’t and it sounds like the developers are aware that 2 wasn’t the game to replicate. I have a lot of loving faith here.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Sardonik posted:

Are you saying he burned a cat? :psypop:

Not that we know, but considering how creepy he was over the cat put with a crab vid... I wouldn't be surprised. :gonk:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Yall are talking about the Beast Heavy Cruiser right?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Yall are talking about the Beast Heavy Cruiser right?

A transparent ploy! Even for a ship full of miners.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rhjamiz posted:

I played as the Taiidan my first time playing Homeworld as a kid because I thought the banana boat looked dumb. The whole series insisting that you played as the Kushan in HW1 has never sat quite right with me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Psycho Landlord posted:

All the HW2 ship designs own and I’m glad Hiigara figured out you want guns on the underside of your space combat vessels so they can fight in three dimensions after the massive and powerful Taiidan empire didn’t.

The Hiigaran designs are fun because the designer of the Taiidani ships in 1 did them and do so with the assumption that the existing (newly liberated) Taiidani on Hiigara integrated with the Kushan instead of being kicked out, so the design idea was "Kushan and Taiidani merged technology with 100 years of progress" and he had to try really hard to not add wings and stripes everywhere :v:

Other fun tidbits from the artbook include the artists agreeing the Bentusi being dead is dumb (and probably they're not), the Turanic Raiders are inspired by Mad Max, and the Progenitors are inspired by Halo designs and other sci-fi space games at the time (and bird skulls vaguely as mentioned earlier)

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 3, 2019

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Ah, so the Dreadnaught really is just the assault rifle in space.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Just remembered you could rename your ships from a list in Cataclysm and one of the beast ones was like "graaaaaagckh"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Cataclysm was and always will be my favorite. Nothing beats when the Turanic Raiders just fed the Beast a heavy cruiser during that one mission and you are just like: "Fuuuuuuuck......"