Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

General Battuta posted:

I'm bad at soloing this battlecruiser >:[

Haha eat poo poo you horrible torpedo launching bastert.

I got it in one try once I realized that some of the things marked 'salvage' on the earlier maps aren't RUs, they're artifacts you can pick up to get you extra unlocks. I got a lucky combination of +10 Frigate cap and a ton of Assault Frigate berserker upgrades, so I made an enormous glass cannon blob which melted the battlecruiser.

You have to move fast on map 3 or you get drowned under the constant incursion spawns, and once you lose your fleet you're not going to be able to rebuild it.

I think this game could be really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I'm not sure what people's problem with support frigates are. You just click the heal button and drag select the group of units you want to fix and they'll dutifully follow behind them, repairing anytime they get damaged. They pretty much make an upgraded blob of frigates borderline immortal atm.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

RBA Starblade posted:

I've only seen enemy destroyers in 3 player games so they may just upscale the ships

Yeah, they definitely scale things. Playing solo, I never saw a single destroyer on the second map, playing with another person and they'd spawn pretty regularly.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Mordja posted:

So I'm not sure what people's problem with support frigates are. You just click the heal button and drag select the group of units you want to fix and they'll dutifully follow behind them, repairing anytime they get damaged. They pretty much make an upgraded blob of frigates borderline immortal atm.

I have not been able to get the drag select thing to work - I'm using the classic controls with hotkeys though.

Mordja posted:

Yeah, they definitely scale things. Playing solo, I never saw a single destroyer on the second map, playing with another person and they'd spawn pretty regularly.

I've seen destroyers on map 2 playing solo, but definitely not regularly. Maybe only once. Also I have had two different versions of map 2, the ice shelf and a tunnel wreck.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 12, 2024

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah berserker assault frigates are op, group of 8 will melt anything

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

My opinion has done a complete 150. Uh, command...we got a good game out here

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Mordja posted:

This actually works fine for me, previous problems were based on bad feedback + me being an idiot. I do miss how ships in HW1 would flash white when successfully targeted by a command.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Slyphic posted:

I'm not a game dev (aside from some lovely CS projects back in uni), and I don't talk code with my friends who are, but... Isn't UI and controls and AI and pathing and stuff, the poo poo that's the most jank in this demo (it's plenty pretty) kind of something you have to design right at the beginning of building a game? Realistically, even with the announced delay, can they basically gut and rebuild HW3?

I have a sinking suspicion some exec was really hung up on making BDO terrain the killer gimmick, and it's turned into a technical boondoggle.

Uh, no. It's the exact opposite. The foundation for everything should be there, of course, but jank is often just the result of rushed polish. There's always another tweak you can do, but if the release date is too early, patching time it is.

The base game seems to be fine, and I'm relieved to see at least one developer willing to move the date, instead of dropping the whole unfinished mess on us and making us wait a couple patch cycles.

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

Everything in the game that's troubling/annoying leans more towards "Needs tweaking and another polishing pass" rather than "how did they get to this design?"

ZeeCee fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 12, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's over!

I really enjoyed the demo, War Games is a blast. It's a shame it only goes to 3 missions instead of until you fail or retire though. I'd really like to see it be an endless mode with a huge amount of fleet and mission variety. Also in my ideal world I'd like it to have little throwbacks to older missions, or fleet comps from HW1/2/Cata somehow, but obviously that wouldn't happen beyond the preorder skin lol

It's rough around the edges but the core game was pretty much was I wanted out of HW3.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

gently caress

I didn't realize it was ending today. I'd just seen some cool stuff for the first time—you can get an assault frigate with ion beam turrets and I'd just discovered Recon Ranger Ricks. I didn't even get to try the incarnate fleet :(

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I wonder if Higs will have any more corvettes? It's kinda weird having just one single unit in that entire class.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

They’d better cause the railgun vette is super underwhelming compared to DoK’s railguns.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm a long time fan of the series and hung out on the relic board back in the day. I feel like my enjoyment is going to hinge on if they did that auto balancing difficulty crap that was in 2 or not.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mordja posted:

I wonder if Higs will have any more corvettes? It's kinda weird having just one single unit in that entire class.

So far it looks like based on the ingame compendium that's all they get, but it also has some wrong info on in-demo units, so who knows

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I'm bummed at the delay. This was going to be the last game I could really play before my kid is born in April, now I don't know when I'll have a chance to play it or if my attention span will really allow it

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

General Battuta posted:

They’d better cause the railgun vette is super underwhelming compared to DoK’s railguns.

Eh, 10 of them, unupgraded, using their ability on the Battlecruiser turned out to be the biggest source of burst damage I saw in the beta.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I'm bummed at the delay. This was going to be the last game I could really play before my kid is born in April, now I don't know when I'll have a chance to play it or if my attention span will really allow it

Eh you'll be fine, I played a ton of games in the newborn stage while my kid slept on me.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Mordja posted:

Eh, 10 of them, unupgraded, using their ability on the Battlecruiser turned out to be the biggest source of burst damage I saw in the beta.

Sure, sure, but it doesn't LOOK like the fist of God, you know what I mean?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
The demo was time limited? That's dumb. What's the point of that?

:shrug: Guess I'm not going to give the game another chance after bouncing off the control scheme the first time.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Raygereio posted:

The demo was time limited? That's dumb. What's the point of that?

If you call it a beta it makes sense.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean...most nextfest demos are only for the week, that's how they've always worked. Might be a another one closer to the new release date.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ZeeCee posted:

Everything in the game that's troubling/annoying leans more towards "Needs tweaking and another polishing pass" rather than "how did they get to this design?"

It's definitely pretty deep into the "how did they get to this design" category. Their decision to include the APM tax abilities, classic camera and movement disc in the game are basically their entire problem and it's insane that they're being included. The modern camera is functionally identical to the classic camera outside of free look, and even then they're basically the same except the modern cam is anchored at the screen while the classic camera is anchored in front of it. All of the orbiting aspects are functionally identical. The movement plane is also effectively just the movement disc with better visual clarity about where you're positioning your units. The main difference is that it doesn't automatically close when you order a unit to move.

The only reason why the game's camera and movement is not virtually identical to Homeworld 1 or 2 is because they want you to be pointlessly mashing keys all the time to activate abilities that are just "be better," which requires you to have a button to hold to move the camera, which they put on right click, and then they decided to incorporate two versions of the same loving movement system and both of them wound up being awkward and poo poo because of it. The game's entire control scheme is hosed because it's basically bending over backwards to accommodate hotkeys for unit abilities that 90% of the playerbase won't even use and almost certainly nobody actually wants.

If they had ditched the unit abilities and movement disc in favor of WASD camera movement with the movement disc toggle on right click and select/move unit on left click then I don't think that they would have even delayed the game.

Like at this point I don't know that there's actually anything wrong with the pathfinding. Clicking on surfaces might be intended to make them try to use the object as cover, while the movement plane orders are for them to travel normally. Once I switched to the movement plane the pathfinding was basically identical to HW1/2.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 12, 2024

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah I barely ever use my unit abilities

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Uh if you need an explanation for why they kept in the movement disc and classic camera options, look at series fans' reaction to the new options. Plenty of posts in this very thread fall along those lines.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Uh if you need an explanation for why they kept in the movement disc and classic camera options, look at series fans' reaction to the new options. Plenty of posts in this very thread fall along those lines.

None of those reactions matter unless they were specifically about not being happy with the camera's anchor point or that the movement plane has a big grid pop up instead of the circle or that it's a toggle .Those are effectively the only actual differences outside of hotkeys and an annoying bug that slows the modern cam down while orbiting.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

My point is that people complain about both perceived and actual changes, and that's probably why they felt the need to try and jam recreations of the old systems in alongside the new ones

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I want War Games back man. I'm fiendin to try some builds.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Torpedo Frigates are very fun. Game owns

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Going through DoK again now, sort of forgot how to play. Up to mission 6, remembering that support cruisers, interceptors, and the Kapisi itself are overpowered as hell

LAVs die in seconds to anything and I've lost two whole groups of them already, which sort of sucks considering how limited RUs are. The AAVs are alright with railguns which I just park behind the support deathball to not get raided by enemy air lol

Artifacts buffed all my air units which is pretty rad! Game's still great looking too and radio chatter is top-tier. I love the ongoing conversations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Deserts’ combat is more about hard counters than even Homeworld 2. Equivalent to sending a group of interceptors against a missile cruiser in HW1. If Thing A is meant to counter Thing B then A will win by a huge margin every time. Attack the wrong thing with the wrong thing and you’re going to lose them all.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Yeah, you don't want to just throw everything together at an opponent's army unless you have overwhelming numbers or you're ok taking losses.

In my opinion you pretty much always want to have a control group for each type of unit, since battles hinge on proper, quick micro of each unit to take advantage of hard counters. The AAV's smoke screen ability is probably the most important mechanic in the game, since it allows you to cut units off from one another and pick them apart. Just fire off a wall of smoke to cut off the front of their army from the back, and send in whatever unit will do well against the now-isolated units.

Assuming you and your opponent both have a well balanced army composition at the start of an engagement, neutralizing any one of your opponents' unit types early on will pretty much guarantee that you'll win the fight with minimal losses. Isolate and kill the strike craft to allow your railguns to mop up, or kill their anti-strike craft units to allow your sandskimmers to swarm all over the railguns, etc. Every army is like a three legged stool, and if you take out one leg the whole thing collapses.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kibayasu posted:

Deserts’ combat is more about hard counters than even Homeworld 2. Equivalent to sending a group of interceptors against a missile cruiser in HW1. If Thing A is meant to counter Thing B then A will win by a huge margin every time. Attack the wrong thing with the wrong thing and you’re going to lose them all.

I know, but two rail guns, that they counter, and two enemy armor nuked twelve lights lol

The other groups are doing ok though, really only LAVs having issues

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I sandskimmer rushed every game up to the ladder top 10. Then they patched out the rush and I quit because I had no actual skills

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

General Battuta posted:

I sandskimmer rushed every game up to the ladder top 10. Then they patched out the rush and I quit because I had no actual skills

I also did that lmao, but I never messed with ranked

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If you're playing the campaign, I would just stop using LAVs. They die way too quickly unless you're really good at micro. I retired mine after the first mission and never built any more.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah I basically gave up on LAV's after a while

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LAVs have the common homeworld strikecraft problem of being prone to attrition but they do work up until fairly late in the campaign in DoK. Their advantage is being very fast and they also have a bit of an advantage over the gaalsien equivalent in that they have turrets, the gaalsien skimmers can struggle to bring guns to bear on LAVs as quickly as the LAVs can on the enemy. So they can trade pretty well and are still quite effective against enemy medium units too.

Sandskimmers are a bit better overall, and I think better on the attack against larger units where they will be facing the right way to begin with.

LAVs should do good damage though, you just need a big blob of them. Gotta punch down the enemy units as hard and fast as possible to minimise losses. I keep a squad of them around until the last few missions although as you get more XP for your units they kind of cease to be important, as once you get an elite railgun with double range you can just park that a mile away and blow everything to bits.

Also resources are nominally limited but pretty early on you will have more than you can really spend. Again very classic homeworld in that respect.

If you're having trouble, are you attacking things uphill? Cos that really makes units a lot more powerful if they're uphill, they get I think flat bonuses to accuracy so it can allow units to snipe out your LAVs a lot easier.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 15, 2024

Burns
May 10, 2008

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/homeworld-3-developer-blackbird-interactive-is-making-layoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It is happening again