Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PC freezing while gaming only: About four months ago, my computer would freeze during games. It first happened in factorio at roughly the 45-minute mark after firing it up. I quit playing that and shifted to games that require less heft. It started happening earlier on This War of Mine, various older games, and now I'm at my wit's end because I can't get twenty seconds into wow classic without freezes. It's a 95% reliable failure, about one out of twenty times it will have no issues. I used to think it was because of fullscreen mode, but graphics settings to low and a window the size of my fist don't change the freezing. If it freezes once in the morning, it will continue to freeze after restarting the computer and the game until I go away and forget it's a problem for a week. If a game fires up and I last more than a few minutes, I can keep it running until I close the program, sometimes multiple hours later.

Attempted fixes: Updated bios, continued to update gpu drivers like I do once a month. Tried to boot wow classic via usb, same problem. Just yesterday, my nvidia drivers started failing to install, prompting freezes of their own. This is new.

Recent changes: none as far as i know

Operating system: windows 10, x64

System specs: amd fx4300 (old but reliable, get too hot on some games but the games i play are not particularly demanding), msi 970a-g46 motherboard, gta970 graphics card, 8gb memory, 600w bronze power supply, 1tb sata hard drive, etc. open hardware program shows all the fans are running and the gpu doesn't pass 67 degrees (its fans don't fire up until above 49 degrees)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

i say swears online posted:

PC freezing while gaming only: About four months ago, my computer would freeze during games. It first happened in factorio at roughly the 45-minute mark after firing it up. I quit playing that and shifted to games that require less heft. It started happening earlier on This War of Mine, various older games, and now I'm at my wit's end because I can't get twenty seconds into wow classic without freezes. It's a 95% reliable failure, about one out of twenty times it will have no issues. I used to think it was because of fullscreen mode, but graphics settings to low and a window the size of my fist don't change the freezing. If it freezes once in the morning, it will continue to freeze after restarting the computer and the game until I go away and forget it's a problem for a week. If a game fires up and I last more than a few minutes, I can keep it running until I close the program, sometimes multiple hours later.

Attempted fixes: Updated bios, continued to update gpu drivers like I do once a month. Tried to boot wow classic via usb, same problem. Just yesterday, my nvidia drivers started failing to install, prompting freezes of their own. This is new.

Recent changes: none as far as i know

Operating system: windows 10, x64

System specs: amd fx4300 (old but reliable, get too hot on some games but the games i play are not particularly demanding), msi 970a-g46 motherboard, gta970 graphics card, 8gb memory, 600w bronze power supply, 1tb sata hard drive, etc. open hardware program shows all the fans are running and the gpu doesn't pass 67 degrees (its fans don't fire up until above 49 degrees)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: ya

Is it just the games themselves that freeze up, or does the whole computer become unresponsive? Does the computer just lock up or does it throw up a blue screen? Does it eventually become responsive or is a restart the only way to get back into it?

What temperature does the CPU get to when playing games?

Are you doing any overclocking?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it just locks up, no doin' nothin' on the last image of what i was looking at until i did a hard-reset

no horrible temps from cpu or gpu. i noticed that my disk was running at 100% in task manager and closed some things recommended in a quick google search, which may have helped. here's hoping!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

If the problems continue two initial things to try:

Run DDU to uninstall all GPU drivers:
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2351

Then install the latest GPU drivers.

Also, run CDI to check HD health:
https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/71535/CrystalDiskInfo8_3_0.exe/

What is the exact PSU and how old is it?